Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camera Upgrade or Safety Score--which comes first

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody received the camera upgrade that is required for FSD beta? This is an upgrade for all Teslas that have the FSD package done at no charge by Tesla. Recently I upgraded to MCU2 in my 17 MX and almost immediately received an invitation for the safety score program which I did. However, I am not sure that it is worthwhile pursuing the safety score since without the camera upgrade, no FSD beta is possible. The Service Center said they have no inventory, provided no timeline. It seems pointless to be pursue a safety score if Tesla isn't able to supply the upgraded cameras. Alternately, is it necessary to have a qualifying safety score to get the cameral upgrade??

I’ve been running the Safety Score in my car since the update came to Canada, even though I knew my 2017 X would not be eligible for FSD beta without the upgraded cameras.

I’m not gonna change, but if you’ve made your local service people aware that you’re after the upgrade for FSD, then I’d say wait on hitting the button for Safety Score. Unless you’re willing to restrict your driving to the metrics that SS wants (I refuse to 😈), you’re gonna have a score that might make it rough to get into the beta.

I say enjoy your car, and when you get the cameras, then start the Safety Score nonsense.

Reactions: BobX
... Unless you’re willing to restrict your driving to the metrics that SS wants (I refuse to 😈), you’re gonna have a score that might make it rough to get into the beta.

I say enjoy your car, and when you get the cameras, then start the Safety Score nonsense.
Yes, Vawlkus is right about the SS restricting your driving, but when are you going to learn how to restrict your driving. I like how Vawlkus says "Safety Score nonsense." The first week with SS was tough for me. The FCW can come from thin air. The SS lets me run red lights, crash into baby carriages, and run over pedestrians as long as I don't turn the wheel or hit the brakes. Yes, the SS has changed the way I drive, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. ( Anyone want to buy a slightly bent baby carriage? CHEAP? JOKE )

My Service Center says the cameras for my FSD 2016 MX are not in stock and will be done in batches. "We'll call you. Don't call us."

Reactions: Michelx and BobX