Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cameras in front and rear tailights???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think Tesla would ever add cameras in the front headlights and rear headlights for exiting parking spaces and for intersection? Currently cameras can't see those angles until you are far enough out. Putting them in the lights gives them protection and provides the angles needed to see before getting to far out. Would probably really help if the software starts making turns at intersections...

Reactions: untilcomplete
I think they already have the AP software that is capable of making turns on its own without the need for additional cameras, so I highly double that this would be something they add. Maybe as newer models come out, they might implement additional cameras if they feel it's needed, but if AP does everything it needs to do with the current cameras then I don't see that happening. Do you think putting cameras in the lights is a good idea? I would think the light might interfere with the camera functionality.

Just my $.02.

I think they already have the AP software that is capable of making turns on its own without the need for additional cameras, so I highly double that this would be something they add. Maybe as newer models come out, they might implement additional cameras if they feel it's needed, but if AP does everything it needs to do with the current cameras then I don't see that happening. Do you think putting cameras in the lights is a good idea? I would think the light might interfere with the camera functionality.

Just my $.02.

The best thing I could envision is getting a full 180° view from the back when backing out of parking with large vehicles next to you. Currently about 120° or something like that. That extra angle would make a major difference in seeing vehicles coming. Front could also be helpful. I was recently pulling out of a driveway with a large car parked just next to it, and cars behind it, blocking the view of traffic. I said to myself, "a camera in the headlights would definitely help here ... "

Optically, the cameras could be de-coupled from the light emission by being just next to the light emitting surfaces and as flush to the surface as possible.

Another €0.02 for the discussion...

Regards,
Mitch

Reactions: TX_M3P+

Just my $.02.

I don't think the cameras right now are capable for see blind corners such as some intersections and even backing up out of a parking spot. I think they will be adding more sensors or cameras to solve this problem. I think they will have FSD then FSD 2.0 with more sensors/cameras/etc.