Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cameras not working warranty ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! My cameras on the model 3 performance one day stoped working and with that all the features that needs it. So i tried all the rebooting but nothing worked. Scheduled an appointment with servis and went there. They called me that the computer of the autopilot and cameras died. It took them 3h to spot the problem. They made me some discount on the hours and they were super nice. The costs of the computer is 2000€. My car is still in warranty as is 3years and 9 months but I exceeded the millage soni need to pay for it. The thing is after leaving the service the cameras didn’t work. After i left the car to sleep and on my return cameras started working again. I called the servis and they said they checked all connections and that wired that now is working. On the way home on the highway i hit the bump and for few min the camers stoped working again but then regained signal and now are working. I saw on the forum there was a disussion about loos connectors in the computer as i yhink this is the case. This would be consequences of bad manufacturing and in should be covered by Tesla. Do you have any suggestions how to procceed?

Reactions: Testing1209
My car is still in warranty as is 3years and 9 months but I exceeded the millage soni need to pay for it.
I am reasonably sure you would be aware of this, but your car is not actually under warranty. The warranty is time OR miles, not time AND miles. If you drove 50k miles on a tesla model 3 in 6 months, your car would no longer be under the new car warranty, so, no, your car is not actually still under warranty.

This statement from you could also be because english may not be your mother tongue, I want to also acknowledge that possibility as well.

This would be consequences of bad manufacturing and in should be covered by Tesla. Do you have any suggestions how to procceed?
Even if we assume whatever issue you are experiencing is a result of bad manufacturing from when the car is built, that is only covered under the new car warranty unless there is an official recall. So, you wont be "forcing" Tesla to cover anything. If it were me, in your situation, I would simply keep taking it back to the service center because you paid for them to fix your cameras, and the cameras still dont work sometimes.

This is the downside to owning a high tech vehicle outside of the warranty and it sucks, so I feel your pain. But you didn't say if you let the service center try to fix the issue or did they just diagnose it? However, obviously the computer didn't die and there is just a short somewhere. Finding out where the short is to fix it, well yeah good luck with that. But if they supposedly did fix it and you still had issues, then you have to take it back to them and keep taking it back until it's really fixed. Often times finding the cause of a malfunction isn't a clear cut thing, many times several parts have to be replaced to finally get to the one that was the root cause. Guess you could take them to court if you feel it's worth your time and money, and if you need a lawyer they are the ones that win, even if you lose the case. So again, I feel your pain.

This is the downside to owning a high tech vehicle outside of the warranty and it sucks, so I feel your pain. But you didn't say if you let the service center try to fix the issue or did they just diagnose it? However, obviously the computer didn't die and there is just a short somewhere. Finding out where the short is to fix it, well yeah good luck with that. But if they supposedly did fix it and you still had issues, then you have to take it back to them and keep taking it back until it's really fixed. Often times finding the cause of a malfunction isn't a clear cut thing, many times several parts have to be replaced to finally get to the one that was the root cause. Guess you could take them to court if you feel it's worth your time and money, and if you need a lawyer they are the ones that win, even if you lose the case. So again, I feel your pain.
Thanks for the reply! Yea they try to see where the problem is so the went over the wiring of the car and after that they said that the computer died and i need a new one. After the car went to sleep it started working. Soni guess the computer is fine. Was wondering is someone had same issues with the cameras.

I am reasonably sure you would be aware of this, but your car is not actually under warranty. The warranty is time OR miles, not time AND miles. If you drove 50k miles on a tesla model 3 in 6 months, your car would no longer be under the new car warranty, so, no, your car is not actually still under warranty.

This statement from you could also be because english may not be your mother tongue, I want to also acknowledge that possibility as well.

Even if we assume whatever issue you are experiencing is a result of bad manufacturing from when the car is built, that is only covered under the new car warranty unless there is an official recall. So, you wont be "forcing" Tesla to cover anything. If it were me, in your situation, I would simply keep taking it back to the service center because you paid for them to fix your cameras, and the cameras still dont work sometimes.
Yes the car is not in warranty haha
Found this so was wondering if is true?

Attachments

• IMG_6338.jpeg
    IMG_6338.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 135