Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cameras stuck calibrating after MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

Bought my first Tesla last month, a 2017 P100D with 55k km. It has autopilot and premium connectivity but I haven't purchased FSD. It was a little bit of an impulse buy (I had a new bimmer on order that was delayed a few times and I have a fairly lengthy 70km roundtrip commute for work and crunched numbers and realized how much I spend on gas), and because of that I didn't really do my research on what to look for beforehand. I quickly realized my car has many of the common issues many others on this forum have had as well, with one of those being a yellowing screen around the edges and general slow performance with maps, etc. I saw that there was the MCU upgrade available so I ordered it right away. $2500 CAD -- ouch.

A mobile service tech installed it in my driveway for me and was finished in about 3 hours. He flashed the firmware to a more recent revision, and told me I'll have to drive it to calibrate the cameras and gave some other pointers since I'm new to driving Teslas. After he left and I went for a quick 5 minute drive (I had other chores to do since xmas had just passed), I saw that the new V11 update was available to install so I decided to install it right away.

Fast forward almost 1000km later and my cameras have been stuck at almost 100% since almost the first day. I've tried the following to fix it: two button reset, four button reset, unplug USB, turn off dashcam and sentry entirely, power off from safety screen, and I've also been wiping each of the cameras before each drive in case they get dirty from salt/dirt. My commute is about 75% highway driving and the weather has been mostly bad over the last few months but I've also gone out for some nice long highway drives on 3 or 4 sunny days to try to help the calibration. Still no changes.

I had another mobile service to replace a tail light with a bunch of water/condensation and I asked the tech about the camera calibration so he connected with his laptop but couldn't see any problems. He said he could reset the cameras similar to the calibrate button in the service screen but it "goes one step further" and clears some other things that the regular button doesn't do. I've since driven another ~200km in primarily sunny weather but it's still stuck.

I'm wondering what I can do to resolve this error, does anyone have any suggestions? I've been able to use autopilot a total of 1 times since purchasing my vehicle on Dec 21 and it really sucks seeing a calibrating screen and basically nothing on the driver screen other than road lines.... Thanks and apologies on the long post!

When you did the power off reset from the command screen, did you stay in the car with the door closed, not touching the brake or anything else for 3 to 5 minutes after pressing the power off? if you open the door, press the brake, or do anything to the car, it will wake up without powering off. If not, I would do this again and then restart the camera calibration process by pressing the calibrate button.

Reactions: Akikiki
When you did the power off reset from the command screen, did you stay in the car with the door closed, not touching the brake or anything else for 3 to 5 minutes after pressing the power off? if you open the door, press the brake, or do anything to the car, it will wake up without powering off. If not, I would do this again and then restart the camera calibration process by pressing the calibrate button.

I had made sure to do this when I tried restarting a few times, but it was before the 2nd technician did his in-depth reset. I'm not sure if he did a full vehicle power off or not when he reset the calibration but it's clearly not making progress anymore so I'll try again

Powering down the car isn’t gonna help.

This almost always happens for one of two reasons:

A faulty camera or two, which it sounds like Tesla has ruled out

Or, the car just hasn’t seen the type of road it’s looking for to complete calibration (often multi-lane roads with very clear lane markings and surrounding traffic).

Lots of sand on the roads where you’re at these days?

Powering down the car isn’t gonna help.

This almost always happens for one of two reasons:

A faulty camera or two, which it sounds like Tesla has ruled out

Or, the car just hasn’t seen the type of road it’s looking for to complete calibration (often multi-lane roads with very clear lane markings and surrounding traffic).

Lots of sand on the roads where you’re at these days?

There has been periods of heavy rain on a bunch of my commuting days, but in general the roads have been clear for a majority of the driving, aside from rain. I've also made an effort to do a couple 100-200km drives on well-marked, multi-lane highways during sunny days. The highways in my area all have pretty good lane markings. They don't sand the roads in my area, it's all salt, and I've made an effort to keep all of the cameras clear as much as I can through car washes and wiping them at the start of every drive. After our cold snap the rain has washed away basically all road salt

Just as an update to anyone in the future experiencing the same problem I have been: I requested a new service specifically for this problem (the tech who looked at it before was there to replace a tail light with condensation buildup and just took a look when I asked) and the service team replied a couple days later and informed me that I need to bring it to a service centre for them to fix the problem. I guess I had to make a new service ticket specifically to the problem because it doesn't look like the tech made any meaningful improvements and didn't write that he looked at the cameras in his service report.

The estimate states:

Correction: Module - Autopilot - ECU - 3rd Generation (Remove & Replace)
Part: ASSY,AUTOPILOT,ECU.3.0,MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-I)
Part type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

Isn't the above item part of the upgrade I purchased? If so then I guess it was DOA.....

That sounds like the AP HW 3.0 hardware, not the MCU 2.
Did you have already HW 3.0 installed after the MCU2 upgrade or only HW 2.0 or HW 2.5?

My understanding is that the AP 3.0 is included with the infotainment upgrade. My 2017 came with HW2.0 and AP2.0 and I paid for the full infotainment upgrade. The autopilot problem began right after the service tech finished the installation and instructed the vehicle to recalibrate the cameras

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 8.22.21 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 8.22.21 AM.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 126