Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cameras work but radar doesn't, one day left to return

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't have a chance to drive much until day 6 - had noticed ? problems with not seeing cars (except mine) on the screen. Never saw cars behind me, but today mostly no cars on left side (despite multiple cars being there) sometimes cars on right appeared on screen usually not.
Stopped at service center to see if they would look at it before I have to decide whether to return it. First they told me they checked the "logs" and nothing was wrong, asked to speak directly to tech person he said they had found some faults (but of course can't look at it for 2 weeks).
Strangely on the way home from sc I started seeing a lot of cars on the screen?????

I've seen some reports of cameras not working, etc. I tried hard and soft reboot. Turned off sentry (which had not been on before my trip - did turn it on while parked before return trip) all the tricks I've read about.

Recordings from car look good (10 min recording of 30 1 min clips - 10 each front, right, left)

So I don't know if I can trust a company where there is a failure of a basic/major system on delivery, they won't/can't fix within the "return" period and the problem appears intermittent?????

HELP

That sounds a lot like the Sentry/USB bug described in numerous places on this forum. Make sure that you don't have software 2019.16.x. You should currently be 2019.20.4.x or later.
To workaround the apparent camera failure, turn off Sentry mode and remove the USB drive.
Software 2019.20.4.x fixes the problem I am describing...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
That sounds a lot like the Sentry/USB bug described in numerous places on this forum. Make sure that you don't have software 2019.16.x. You should currently be 2019.20.4.x or later.
To workaround the apparent camera failure, turn off Sentry mode and remove the USB drive.

Thanks I have 2019.15.103 for a car delivered 6 days ago. I'll try the turning off Sentry and removing usb (though I only had Sentry on once) Thanks!
I have no way to get the update to see if that will help even tho I have "advanced" selected no option for me to ug :(

• Informative
If you're worried about occasional software glitches in this car you shouldn't keep it. They all get fixed eventually and the car gets better all the time.

I'm not worried about software "glitches" but how can I know if emergency collision avoidance, etc. will work if the car ? doesn't see what's around it? The problem "coming and going" with no apparent pattern and never being able to see car behind me or on the left seems like a bit more serious than a glitch - well I'll drive some more tomorrow then I guess it's decision time.

• Disagree
Reactions: SaddleSC
Call the Tesla service number, explain the problem along with supposed solution you learned here. I suspect they will push you a new version of software. I had a glitch after I got an update last month. A simple phone call resolves it.

• Informative
BINGO - seems like that fixed it (worked even after removing USB and reinserting it), tried turning Sentry on while parked and it even seems to work (well for one trial) now. I'll see about the sw update when I can.
WHAT REALLY BUGS ME IS THAT NO ONE AT TESLA - neither the sales people (who I don't expect to know much) nor the SERVICE PERSON who sat in my car even suggested something simple to try out. They just looked at something on their computer after getting the VIN and said bring it in for service (in 2 weeks) ?!?
So, the preferred mode is just "return it" rather than simple/common sense trouble shooting by anyone working there.
XHabjab should get a bonus from Tesla for avoiding a return to them!!!!

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and XHabjab
Not having working safety features on a brand new car is not "FUD." I shudder to think what is wrong with you that you feel compelled to say what you said to someone who is looking for advice.

Thank you!!! i've blocked alcibiades since they don't seem to have anything appropriate to say

Call the Tesla service number, explain the problem along with supposed solution you learned here. I suspect they will push you a new version of software. I had a glitch after I got an update last month. A simple phone call resolves it.

I tried that - it isn't possible to get through to a human (at least during the two hours I tried) The recordings after pressing "service" kept telling me to use the web and there was no option to talk to a human, same thing when I called the service center directly - only was I was able to talk to service was to call sales and ask to be transferred to service (the phone did give option of dialing an extension, but when I asked sales for it they said they didn't know could only transfer internally).
When I drove there and spoke to a live service person he didn't suggest even looking at this - I will ask for a push update when I go to my (2nd) service apt. (unless the mobile team can fix it on my "keycard not working" sc - service center said the mobile can't deal with this issue, but I'll ask anyway.

• Informative
BINGO - seems like that fixed it (worked even after removing USB and reinserting it), tried turning Sentry on while parked and it even seems to work (well for one trial) now. I'll see about the sw update when I can.
WHAT REALLY BUGS ME IS THAT NO ONE AT TESLA - neither the sales people (who I don't expect to know much) nor the SERVICE PERSON who sat in my car even suggested something simple to try out. They just looked at something on their computer after getting the VIN and said bring it in for service (in 2 weeks) ?!?
So, the preferred mode is just "return it" rather than simple/common sense trouble shooting by anyone working there.
XHabjab should get a bonus from Tesla for avoiding a return to them!!!!
Eternal question for Operations Management.
Do you want your staff to figure things out and resolve them to the best of their knowledge OR have them follow the script in detail?
Depends on how competent you think your staff actually is, I guess.
If Tesla really chooses the follow the script route, there is a lack of (confidence in) skills on the work floor.
Same goes for fixing malfunctions OR just replacing the whole part (corrupt eMMC’s come to mind).

Reactions: sceptic
Oh I forgot to mention, after the fix above I started getting warnings about potential "collisions", like people walking in a parking lot in front of me (quite a distance away but I had it set to early) chimes, screen alerts - so the system not working also didn't alert me to potentially dangerous situations (and therefore increased the possibility of an accident since one of the SAFETY features Tesla is known for wasn't working)
Again I have to thank the forum!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and XHabjab
Oh I forgot to mention, after the fix above I started getting warnings about potential "collisions", like people walking in a parking lot in front of me (quite a distance away but I had it set to early) chimes, screen alerts - so the system not working also didn't alert me to potentially dangerous situations (and therefore increased the possibility of an accident since one of the SAFETY features Tesla is known for wasn't working)
Again I have to thank the forum!
Safety features don’t take the place of you not paying attention while driving

I tried that - it isn't possible to get through to a human (at least during the two hours I tried) The recordings after pressing "service" kept telling me to use the web and there was no option to talk to a human, same thing when I called the service center directly - only was I was able to talk to service was to call sales and ask to be transferred to service (the phone did give option of dialing an extension, but when I asked sales for it they said they didn't know could only transfer internally).

This is going to destroy Tesla if they don't fix it ASAP

Reactions: sceptic
Dancing cars, not perfect dashcam video, and other glitches are something that will happen at present. Even people on the same version won't all see the same issues. It does help when a new version comes out to follow to see what early version adopters encounter just so you are aware. I had read about what seemingly is some glitch that can happen when having sentry mode activated that caused issues with AP, headlights and wipers. I didn't have issues using that version on my car but my husband in his car did encouter them and I was able to tell him to turn off sentry, give it a few minutes and then turn it back on. And it worked for him and he got his AP back to use it to drive home. This kind of stuff doesn't really phase us any more but I can understand being new to electronic cars like this it can throw you a bit. All I can say is owners since 2017 and we wouldn't trade our cars in for anything else. However some people get flustered at the computer technology and what comes with it and then I'd agree it may not be the car for them. Not surprised you got some immediate return the car responses on this. You have to know a bit about them to judge if they are trying to help or not really. Sometimes the software glitches can be handled through a simple reboot of the screen, sometimes you need to wait for an update.

You should know that the car's basic operations including emergency braking etc. are handled through a second separate computer system so things like dancing cars etc won't affect your ability to drive the car even if say your screen were to go black. Brakes, brake lights, turn signals would all still function on the car.