Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

camp mode and 12v outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently had a 14 hour power outage; very hot, hot night without A/C. All I really wanted was a fan (50W) and maybe a light. I have a 150W inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter and hoping that would work plugged into my 2014 MS cigarette lighter while in camp mode? Any risk of discharging my 12v battery? I'd be using my car as a mini backup generator.

We recently had a 14 hour power outage; very hot, hot night without A/C. All I really wanted was a fan (50W) and maybe a light. I have a 150W inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter and hoping that would work plugged into my 2014 MS cigarette lighter while in camp mode? Any risk of discharging my 12v battery? I'd be using my car as a mini backup generator.
First of all, Tesla will void your warranty if you use your Tesla car as a stationary power like you asked above.

Otherwise, I don't see any technical issues with what you want to do: Put it on camp mode and your 12V socket should stay on to work with your home fan.

Of course there will be wears and tears but as long as you have enough power in your main battery, your 12V battery should work fine too.

If you want a proper stationary power covered by the warranty, don't get a Tesla car: get a Ford F150 Lighting or Hyundai/Kia EV.

Technically he is camping at home ( not in a national park) , so warranty should not get voided :)
It's a contradiction in Tesla. Tesla manual says:

"CAUTION
Do not use the Battery as a stationary power source. Doing so voids the warranty."

But then it entraps owners with the "camp mode."

There's a case in Texas blackout where Tesla voided the entire warranty, not just a specific part related to the 12V battery:

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
I bought my tesla long enough ago so the decision is made (and a good decision it was!). I think I'm at the end of any warranty - don't remember but I believe 8 years max and I'm there with my 2014 MS. Plus I put a hitch on it for bike rack and was told that voided the warranty way back when. It would be good to access the 12v battery to make sure it's maintaining its charge with a fan running. I honestly would like to try accessing the battery to run a small freezer and the fan but that's beyond me at the moment.

fwiw, I bought an ICE generator after the outage that didn't run out of the gate. POS. I don't want to go down that carburetor rabbit hole again. Kicking myself for buying the thing.

Reactions: outdoors
I'm not 100% sure it works the same for the S but in the 3 and Y, simply leaving sentry mode ON will keep the car awake, and the 12V plugs work while the car is awake.
I'm sure that's true for the S in "Camp Mode" too. What I don't know is how quickly the 12V battery can be recharged while I'm using it for a fan. The fan is 50W so not a power hog ... but still, would be good to know I'm not draining the 12V battery faster than it is being recharged. Anyone know? I will look up accessing the 12V battery terminals - something I've never needed to do until maybe now.

I'm certain you can't drain the 12V faster than it can be charged if you respect the e-fuse on that 12V port (pulling a max of 120-150w). As long as the car is awake, which is a requirement for that port to be alive, the HV battery will continuously top up the 12V. You have no risk of draining the 12V unless you drain the whole HV pack low.

EDIT: Using the battery terminals or hardwiring 12V elsewhere is the part that might void your warranty since you're using the car as a power source. There are people that have done that around on these forums, and some know how much power the DC-DC converter outputs. I just don't have that information.

Reactions: outdoors
I'm sure that's true for the S in "Camp Mode" too. What I don't know is how quickly the 12V battery can be recharged while I'm using it for a fan. The fan is 50W so not a power hog ... but still, would be good to know I'm not draining the 12V battery faster than it is being recharged. Anyone know? I will look up accessing the 12V battery terminals - something I've never needed to do until maybe now.

The Texas black out case proved that Tesla car worked well for 1,100 watt furnace fan usage in addition to other lights.

Your concern above is not the problem during the usage.

The issue comes later when your 12V dies.

That's because Tesla accounts for all the loss or usage from its circuit such as from cigarette outlets, USB, obdii... But the Texas case bypassed that by hooking directly to the battery posts.

So, if you want to do it, don't bypass the Tesla circuit.

I know this might sound dumb but does the 12v plug draw power from the 12v battery or the tesla battery? I plan to put a dobinson 40l fridge in my 2022 mx for summer road trips. Trying to figure out where the 12v plug draws its power from.
I think it draws from the 12v but the BMS recharges the 12 v or at least keeps it full from the main battery. During recent power outages here in CA I used a 12v fridge to keep meat and perishables frozen ish for 2.5 days with no problems and very little actual overall main battery drain. I kept the fridge external though since the exhaust heat it produces can be pretty high. Probably could have just opened a window.

Depending on which car model and year, the HV battery through the DC-DC inverter provides up to 200-250 amps at 12v (actually 13-16 v depending on the model). The 12v power outlet is limited to about 12.5 amps continuously. Currently, when the car is on, the DC-DC inverter is powering the car. It provides power to the power outlet. It has plenty of power to also charge the 12v battery if needed and run everything else. Keep in mind, when the car is on, you're going to lose about 1 mile per hour of range. This is because even if you are pulling 150W from the power outlet, there are other loads such as the CPUs, displays, etc. that are pulling power too.

As for warranty, I don't see how taking 150W from the power outlet would have any effect. My understanding of the statement "Do not use the Battery as a stationary power source. Doing so voids the warranty." has to do with using the car to power something major by bypassing the power plug. For example, hard wiring a 1500W inverter (125 amps) to the 12v system would clearly violate the warranty. Connecting a high-voltage inverter directly to the HV pack would also void the warranty. Now once your car is out of warranty, anything goes!