TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Camp Mode causing 12v battery service?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by schonert, Aug 13, 2015.

1. schonert

schonert Member

Only had my Model S for a month and today got the "12v Battery Needs Service" notification. Service Center came out and replaced the battery, states it had a period of running slightly lower. My only thought was I recently tested out the "Camping Mode" on the Remote S app. The car was plugged in for the night charging when I tested it out. Only did camping mode for 2 hours. Any idea if that might have been the cause?

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have. The Model S uses a DC-DC converter to keep the battery charged from the HV pack much like an alternator would on an ICE. As long as the DC-DC was keeping the 12v topped up, it would be no different than "camper mode" in an ICE with the engine running.

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I've used camping mode for 7 hours without any problems.

4. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

2 hours of camp mode should have very little effect on battery use. I doubt the two are related.

5. schonert

schonert Member

Thanks. Just checking. The Tesla service guys hadn't heard of the app or the 'feature' so I just wanted to make sure it was just a coincidence.

6. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

#6 rjcbox, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    What is this Camping Mode you speak of? Are you guys referring to the hack (neutral + ebrake) while plugged in?

7. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Its a feature of the Remote S app, which will keep the climate control running indefinitely.

8. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

As far as I know, the heating elements and the air conditioner compressor run on the high Voltage from the main Traction Battery. This means that the "camp mode" should have the HV relay in the battery energized. When the HV bus is on, then all 12 V lines are powered through the DC to DC converter and the 12 V battery is charged/maintained.

Your "camp mode" should have nothing to do with a 12 V battery failure. Sounds like infant mortality to me...

9. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

This doesn't work, btw. The car won't let you move out of P if the charge port is connected, nor will it let you plug in if not in P.

10. LindaK

LindaK Member

Seems that the Remote S app is only for Apple Watch. Can I not get a similar app on my iPhone? or is there a manual way to create a "camp mode". I want to camp in my S next month. TIA.

11. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Camper mode just uses the API to turn climate control on repeatedly, working around the 30 minute timeout. It's no different than if you used the official app to manually reenable climate control every 30 minutes.

Remote S works on the iPhone too, not just the watch.