Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camp mode draining 12v Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using my 2015 Model S in Camp Mode as kind of a home office recently. I've been noticing something that may be a bug or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm on V10.2 (2002.8.1) BTW.

1. I enter the car on the passenger side, which has more room for my laptop.
  2. I put the car into Camp Mode, which powers on the HVAC, and I plug my laptop into an inverter hooked up to the 12v plug.
  3. After a few minutes I get a warning message on the binnacle saying that the car may not be drivable, and such.
  4. When I switch out the inverter plug and put in a tool that measures battery voltage, the reading is 11.9 volts.
  5. I then reach across and press the brake pedal to "wake up" the car. This appears to trigger the refresh of the 12v battery, as the voltage meter starts rising and reaches the normal 14v level.
  6. Warnings are gone and I am able to use Camp Mode normally.

I keep forgetting to do the wakeup step before I start using the car in Camp Mode, and I'm worried that I'm stressing the 12v a lot. I would expect the car to be able to refresh the 12v battery when it is in Camp Mode even when the car has not otherwise been "woken up".

Is there any other way to ensure that the 12v battery is refreshed when in Camp Mode other than pressing the brake pedal?

Would anyone disagree that this is a bug in the 12v battery management system?

Would agree there is a bug, and I would report it as a bug report. I wonder why this is not an issue with using the App to heat or cool the vehicle before pushing on the brake. Check to see if voltage is at normal when you start hvac from the app first.