Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camper mode experience with 7 seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the fence on the 7 seater option. The main concern is whether it would compromise the "camper mode experience". I heard that with all the rear seats folded down, the cargo surface is not totally flat, due to 1. there is a gap between the second and third rows and 2. the third row creates a raise in the cargo floor.

Not sure if those makes the camping experience less enjoyable. One thing that I might need the MY to do is to serve as an extra bedroom (for me) when guest comes. :)

I was concerned about the 7 seater option with regard to this but it was much better than I thought it would be. There is a slightly higher section than the floor of the trunk area. If you had some sort of mattress, I doubt you would even notice it.

We originally ordered the 5 seat but glad we picked up the 7 seater from inventory. It is much more useful than I thought it would be.

Exactly why I am asking lol

About the lid flipping, I am worried that it's can't support my weight (180lb) that way
The lid would be 25~33% of your body length and you torso would most likely be over the backs of the rear seats regardless of orientation.

I'm 250 lbs and knelt on the lid while moving around the back installing car seats and dog seat covers on the middle row. It's sturdy.

Ok I want to report back the experience sleeping in the 7 seater. It turned out that 7 seater works really well. I am 6 feet tall so I would need extra support for my head when laying down, but the second row of the 7 seater is on rail and can be moved forward so that creates the perfect length for me. Of course that creates a gap between the second row and the third row, but with a 4 inch foam mattress I have never noticed the gap.

The only thing that I would hope for is the ability to turn on the dome light when the doors are closed. It would really add to the mood...

Reactions: mftpdx
Ok I want to report back the experience sleeping in the 7 seater. It turned out that 7 seater works really well. I am 6 feet tall so I would need extra support for my head when laying down, but the second row of the 7 seater is on rail and can be moved forward so that creates the perfect length for me. Of course that creates a gap between the second row and the third row, but with a 4 inch foam mattress I have never noticed the gap.

The only thing that I would hope for is the ability to turn on the dome light when the doors are closed. It would really add to the mood...
This is one of the most underrated aspects of having a MY 7-seater for those of use that take it camping. Closing that gap made sleeping in it so much better. I used to have to put bags in between 1st and 2nd row otherwise it would be quite uncomfortable.

Reactions: gt2690b