Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camper mode heating and snowy days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, the math is pretty straight forward.
We factored all of that in if you read through.

We're not arguing. We are presenting arguments. Very different. What's wrong with that? It's a discussion board.
We are discussing the financial effectiveness vs an investment. Someone made the claim that these panels are paid for after 7 years. I think that's unrealistic and doesn't tell the whole story.

Can you show us the work that shows a solar panel as a 'guaranteed' investment is a good option ? Being an investment professional that should be easy to do. Looking forward to it.

Actually - I haven’t seen any reference to HST rebates on panel purchase and/or roof refurbishment.

Also - at no point did I use the words ‘guaranteed’ either so I’m not sure where you are going with that. Unless of course you mean in contrast to bonds (talk to investors in Greece or those holding bonds over the last several weeks) or GICs (which provide negative real returns in the current environment).

My point is that the comparison between equities and solar is not as cut and dry as you are (trying) to make it and that individual circumstances (which are unique to everyone) have to be considered when someone is making a decision if it makes sense as an investment.

Actually - I haven’t seen any reference to HST rebates on panel purchase and/or roof refurbishment.
explain what you mean specifically with the rebates and ill put it in the spreadsheet. I left the negatives you mentioned for solar out because it was already behind. We addressed tax rates a while ago.
Also - at no point did I use the words ‘guaranteed’ either so I’m not sure where you are going with that. Unless of course you mean in contrast to bonds (talk to investors in Greece or those holding bonds over the last several weeks) or GICs (which provide negative real returns in the current environment).
You compared it to GICs and government bonds. Guaranteed investments of the highest ranking in this country. Were you just using an easy hurdle to compare solar to to make it attractive and support your point? Don't understand the reference otherwise.

Greek bonds...thats relevant? And do tell...what happened over the last several weeks that made bond investing so unattractive? Any defaults that only financial professionals like yourself would know about? I haven't seen any. Did spreads blow out? The only people unhappy with their bond portfolios in 2018 are those who took on significant duration and those are speculators so not really in our discussion are they?
My point is that the comparison between equities and solar is not as cut and dry as you are (trying) to make it and that individual circumstances (which are unique to everyone) have to be considered when someone is making a decision if it makes sense as an investment.

Yes you keep saying. My point is that it IS pretty cut and dry because these variables you keep throwing around have been accounted for in this situation and we were talking about a particular individual.

If your argument is that taking a worse rate of return in pursuit of non correlated returns is the goal that makes solar a winner, that's great. That's not what I've been talking about.

I started out showing that saying you break even in 7 years with solar is not remotely accurate as it assumes the time value of money for all individuals is zero. Wouldn't you agree with me on that?

Still waiting for your analysis.

much more important.
I used it too while out to dinner. This is the most wintery winter I can remember in a long time. Not just cold but loads of snow too.

Me, too, today. In and out of the mall in an hour, and the car was toasty and all snow melted (except in roof/frunk). Not having to scrape ice off glass is awesome, even during the relentless snow today.