Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camper Mode Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put the car in camper mode. Car is in neutral, parking brake activated, and locked via the app once I'm in position in the back.

Since I still have my fob on me, if someone outside taps the handle will the car assume it's me and unlock itself?

Further, what if the car is in park and I take a nap in the back while charging, using the app to turn the climate on for 30 minutes. If I lock the car with the app, but still have my fob on me, can someone else get in the car by touching the handle?

Thanks for the responses. I watched Bjorn's video but I don't remember this question being answered. I know locking the doors is part of the process, but if the fob is still in the car won't it unlock when the handles are touched?

Thanks for the responses. I watched Bjorn's video but I don't remember this question being answered. I know locking the doors is part of the process, but if the fob is still in the car won't it unlock when the handles are touched?

In the video he says that if you lock the car from inside using the screen rather than the fob, you can't unlock it from the outside.

Reactions: StoXto3toY

If you were sitting inside the car and drove off, the handles lock. And/or you can press the lock in the upper left corner of the screen to unlock the car. Same reasoning you can also lock the car from inside (with the fob inside the car).

Now while we are on the subject of locking/unlocking, there's a quirk that everyone needs to be aware of. This comment has really nothing to do with a camping mode. For a moment, put camping mode out of your mind.

Walk with me through this situation. Try it if you doubt what I am saying.
1. If you walk up to your Tesla and click the fob roof twice and unlock your car, the handles will present.
2. Do not open a door or the trunk, just walk away. In about a minute the handles will close back.
3. Take your fob away from the car and place it someplace >25 feet from the car, (maybe inside the house), leave it. (Do not return to the car with the fob).
4. Return to the car, walk up and touch a handle. The handles will present and you can pull to open the door.
5. Why did this work when the fob is no where near the car? Its because you used the fob to unlock the car; but you didn't finish the process by opening a door.
Do you now realize that if you use your fob to unlock the doors but do not open a door when/while you are out some place - away from home, such as in a shopping center parking lot, or the beach or at work, that you are leaving your car unlocked? All the stuff inside your car is vulnerable.

So, what do you do to correct this when you use the fob to unlock the car: a) open then close a door to complete the process, or b) use the fob and click the roof once to lock the car again, or c) use your Tesla app to lock the doors/car.

Now back to camping mode. If you are inside and you use the fob to unlock the door (double click) and didn't open a door or no one outside the car opened a door to get inside with you, then once the handles close, the car is still unlocked, and remains unlocked even though you are inside and the handles closed. What do you need to do: a) Use the fob to lock the doors, or b) use the screen to lock the doors, or c) use the Tesla app to lock the doors, or d) open a door and then close the door to complete the process - then when the handles close the car will lock.

Did you know your car would do this? This has been the way the locking behavior worked since the first Model S' were built. Its nothing new.

Last edited:
Walk with me through this situation. Try it if you doubt what I am saying.
1. If you walk up to your Tesla and click the fob roof twice and unlock your car, the handles will present.
2. Do not open a door or the trunk, just walk away. In about a minute the handles will close back.
3. Take your fob away from the car and place it someplace >25 feet from the car, (maybe inside the house), leave it. (Do not return to the car with the fob).
4. Return to the car, walk up and touch a handle. The handles will present and you can pull to open the door.
5. Why did this work when the fob is no where near the car? Its because you used the fob to unlock the car; but you didn't finish the process by opening a door.
Do you now realize that if you use your fob to unlock the doors but do not open a door when/while you are out some place - away from home, such as in a shopping center parking lot, or the beach or at work, that you are leaving your car unlocked? All the stuff inside your car is vulnerable.

So, what do you do to correct this when you use the fob to unlock the car: a) open then close a door to complete the process, or b) use the fob and click the roof once to lock the car again, or c) use your Tesla app to lock the doors/car.
That's exactly as designed. Walk away locking only works if the unlock was due to approaching the car, if unlocking was due to the key fob it's assumed that you wanted the car to stay unlocked. Opening a door resets it to the walk away locking though.

Imagine it more as if you had the walk away locking disabled in the settings. The car would never lock or unlock itself, it would require using the fob. In that case if you unlock the car it stays unlocked, and if you lock the car it stays locked. Whenever you use the fob to unlock the car you are explicitly telling the car you wish to override the automatic functionality and control it manually. If you didn't want to control it manually, you shouldn't have manually controlled it.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I think most cars re-lock after 30 seconds or so after you unlock it with the fob, if no doors have been opened. I think this is in case you unlock it by accidently pushing the fob.
many cars do, but in most of those cars pressing the button was the only way to unlock it in the first place. With walk away locking enabled, you rarely ever would need to press a button, so it makes sense that it would do something different than simply approaching the car. The double-click is also extremely difficult to achieve by accident.

I think most cars re-lock after 30 seconds or so after you unlock it with the fob, if no doors have been opened. I think this is in case you unlock it by accidently pushing the fob.
No, it does not re-lock. If you don't open the door, it remains unlocked. Try it. Its interesting how many times we've discussed this with Tesla owners during a get together and most people don't know how or that this occurs.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Certainly news to me. But I'm always learning new things about the car. Doesn't matter how much reading I do on the forums, or how many times I drive my car. I'm at 25k miles and I read about Tesla for 2 years before buying. And I still feel like I know so little about the thing. Thanks guys for the info

I assume that if you unlock the doors by pressing the shift button, but no one opens the door, then the doors can be opened at any time?
Correct. As with the fob. You gave the car an explicit instruction to do something, and it does that until you explicitly tell it to do something differently, or until you open the door, get out, and walk away to reset the walk away locking.

Tesla has done this one exactly right. The only complaint I have about the locking is that the handle in or out behaviour does not indicate the locked or unlocked state, so many people get confused. Had I designed this, it would function identically to the current modes, with the exception that the handles would remain extended as long as the vehicle remained unlocked. (I know, there's a possible security issue here in advertising that the car is unlocked, but not really any more so than any other car where you can look at the lock pop-up on each door and see it, and then maybe owners would have a better idea of the state of their car)

How long does the cigarette lighter receptacle stay active in the camper mode?
Depends on how you activate "camper mode" if it's through an app turning climate control on every 30 mins, then the cigarette lighter outlet will likely time out after about 30 minutes when the car shuts down. If it is via putting the car in neutral and applying the parking brake through the 17" screen, the outlet will stay live for your entire session.

Seems no one answered your question. I am searching other threads to try and find an answer.
There is no "camper mode", but there are tricks to keeping the car "on". If the car is on, so is the power outlet. However some "camper mode" tricks are actually just remote climate control, for those ones the power outlet will turn off after 30 mins.

Reactions: sdorn and Akikiki
I have an Engel 12v refrigerator I'll carry in the trunk on Tesla road trips. It plugs into the 12v outlet under the armrests. It will run all night long when I'm staying in a motel, so long as the car is in neutral with the parking brake on.
Unfortunately that precludes charging the car overnight, which is a valuable way to use that time. I added my own always-on 12v connection under the 17" screen to get around that. But I have also since repalced the relay controlling the stock 12v outlet with a jumper to keep it on full time as well.
I do like having a car that can power my 12v cooler 24/7 on long road trips, it certainly saved a lot of food waste compared to previous vehicles I've had!

I have an Engel 12v refrigerator I'll carry in the trunk on Tesla road trips. It plugs into the 12v outlet under the armrests. It will run all night long when I'm staying in a motel, so long as the car is in neutral with the parking brake on.

I know how to fix your car so 1) it doesn't use and depend on the 12v at the armrest and 2) stays on as long as you wish.