Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camper Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently read on here or watched on you tube a way to switch on what was referred to as a "camper mode" on the Model S.

I seem unable to find the details from searching these forums and I wonder if anyone knows the procedure please?

Saving folk having to watch the Video .. Normally heater and screen turns off after 30 mins

Put car in Neutral with foot on brake, Apply parking brake from Screen via settings, Controls, eBrake button (Keep car in in neutral), Switch off lights (from screen) DRL's will stay on
Lock car from Screen (prevents some one touching the door handles to open car)
Dim Screens (or put main screen into clean mode)

To exit - foot on brake and press Park button on stalk

Useful when parked up and waiting inside the car and its cold (or hot)

Saving folk having to watch the Video .. Normally heater and screen turns off after 30 mins

Put car in Neutral with foot on brake, Apply parking brake from Screen via settings, Controls, eBrake button (Keep car in in neutral), Switch off lights (from screen) DRL's will stay on
Lock car from Screen (prevents some one touching the door handles to open car)
Dim Screens (or put main screen into clean mode)

To exit - foot on brake and press Park button on stalk

Useful when parked up and waiting inside the car and its cold (or hot)

Note that you cannot charge the car in this state, which is usually what I'm doing while sleeping in the car. Until recently, visible tesla was the solution for this; it allows you to send an HVAC on command every 30 minutes. Unfortunately, Tesla has recently changed their backend systems rending visibletesla unusable for many. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Note that you cannot charge the car in this state, which is usually what I'm doing while sleeping in the car. Until recently, visible tesla was the solution for this; it allows you to send an HVAC on command every 30 minutes. Unfortunately, Tesla has recently changed their backend systems rending visibletesla unusable for many. YMMV.

Yep I think the only viable solution to camping-and-charging is to put a heavy enough object on the driver's seat that the occupancy sensor is triggered and it thinks someone is sitting there.

Yep I think the only viable solution to camping-and-charging is to put a heavy enough object on the driver's seat that the occupancy sensor is triggered and it thinks someone is sitting there.
Which has been frequently reported to not work longer than 30 minutes. Same as triggering via the app or whatnot.

best option for charging would seem to be a second cord powering a portable electric heater...

Anyone who can afford a Tesla shouldn't have to sleep in their car.
True.. However, what if someones unpredictable "life circumstances" changes due to sudden job/ house loss, things go downhill faster than they can sell the Tesla, its cool to know they at least have a dry comfortable way to sleep and search the internet for assistance at the same time.

Not everyone who has a Tesla can necissarily "afford" it ( Just like most people with high end vehicles) how many are making 60+ months of very high payments just to have a vehicle? Many people would rather compromise and have a 'average or low end house, but choose to have a very high end car because thats where the spend most of their time, or just like cool fun things!!.

Not sure if I'm conveying what I am trying to say very well heheh..

Happy "camping"!!!:)