TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Camper Mode

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Rluner, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Rluner

Rluner Member

I recently read on here or watched on you tube a way to switch on what was referred to as a "camper mode" on the Model S.

I seem unable to find the details from searching these forums and I wonder if anyone knows the procedure please?

2. smac

smac Active Member

3. snellenr

snellenr Member

Thanks for the link -- I was wondering how to do this, too. In addition to dimming the displays to zero, putting the main display in "Cleaning" mode ought to cut down the brightness quite a bit.

4. hyperpretension

Anyone who can afford a Tesla shouldn't have to sleep in their car.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Why?

6. green1

green1 Active Member

Some people would tell you that if you can afford a $100,000 car you must stay in a fancy hotel, and you are now forbidden from camping... I think those people are clinging a bit too tightly to their stereotypes.

7. liuping

liuping Active Member

I think there is a big difference between "have to" and "want to"

I've taken the Tesla out camping a couple of times, and usually sleep under the stars. However, if the weather turns, it's nice to know I can comfortably sleep inside.

8. gdavison

gdavison Member

Saving folk having to watch the Video .. Normally heater and screen turns off after 30 mins

Put car in Neutral with foot on brake, Apply parking brake from Screen via settings, Controls, eBrake button (Keep car in in neutral), Switch off lights (from screen) DRL's will stay on
    Lock car from Screen (prevents some one touching the door handles to open car)
    Dim Screens (or put main screen into clean mode)

To exit - foot on brake and press Park button on stalk

Useful when parked up and waiting inside the car and its cold (or hot)

9. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Note that you cannot charge the car in this state, which is usually what I'm doing while sleeping in the car. Until recently, visible tesla was the solution for this; it allows you to send an HVAC on command every 30 minutes. Unfortunately, Tesla has recently changed their backend systems rending visibletesla unusable for many. YMMV.

10. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Yep I think the only viable solution to camping-and-charging is to put a heavy enough object on the driver's seat that the occupancy sensor is triggered and it thinks someone is sitting there.

11. green1

green1 Active Member

Which has been frequently reported to not work longer than 30 minutes. Same as triggering via the app or whatnot.

best option for charging would seem to be a second cord powering a portable electric heater...

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

the only way I could afford the Tesla was by being cheap on everything else in my life.

• Like x 1
  13. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Won't help. The HVAC will still time out. And if you leave the car in neutral you can't charge.

14. obin olson

obin olson New Member

LOL I love it! so true, I afforded my S and my wifes S by buying a fleet of 4 2006 prius cars and renting them on toro to pay for the Teslas extra $$ drain in the daily life plan lol