Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camper, party/tailgate mode questions and cigarette/aux plug in adapters/chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excited and getting ready for camper and tailgate modes. Two questions if anyone could answer, especially car buffs/electric engineers.

1)When is the ETA!?

2)I am getting ready and looking into buying cigarette/aux adapters for my gadgets and appliances to use with it. I would like to know what cigarette/aux plugs I can use for all of them. Here is my calculations, but any electrical engineers please correct me if I am wrong or making this too simplistic.
I believe the cigarette/aux port is 120 watts maximum output and at 12 volts (battery) obviously.
Since Watts=Volts X Amps. 120 watts=12volts x 10 Amps. So I am assuming when buying adapters I am safe looking for anything that is 120 watts or less and 10 amps or less. I am looking to power basic camping stuff, small hot plate or coffee warmer, mini-fridge or cooler, laptop, vacuum, and kids gadgets/phones/tablets. The USB ports in the car will be fine for phones/tablets, but he other appliances/laptop are between 20 watts and 90 watts. Which all should fall under the 120 W limit. I was looking at this 65 w adapter for my laptop https://www.amazon.com/FLGAN-Charge...aptop+car+charger&refinements=p_85:2470955011
Am I correct in my thinking and can start ordering these cigarette/aux adapter/chargers for my laptop and other appliances?
Thanks

The fuse for the power port (it is NOT usable as a cigarette lighter) is a fast blow 15 amp fuse. It is not a circuit breaker and it is not a slow blow fuse. Anything that is inductive, like a motor, can't be anywhere near 15 amps because motors have a high start current.

Thanks murphyS90D, I know motors have a high start current. But peltier type mini-fridge or coolers and laptops don't have motors (other than small fan). There will be many things you can use the 120w power port for in camper or tailgate mode. Surely a 65 w laptop could be used, probably a 90w laptop also without blowing a fuse. Of course you're not going to be able to run a 180 watt gaming laptop. But you probably can run a small LED TV with OTA antanae and many other small appliances. If you know the watts, volts, and amps of what you want to plug in and buy the correct adapter like I linked to above, I see no problems, unless I am missing something. If the port is rated at 120 watts 10 amps, as long as you don't exceed that you won't blow the 15 amp fuse. And I guess if you are dumb or don't check those things, worst that can happen is you need to replace the fuse. Not to mention when buying DC power port adapters that plug in there, I don't even think you can find any that are over 90 watts, that is the most powerful charging I have seen made for car port use, they are not going to make an adapter that goes over 120 w or 10 amps and blows fuses in every car, not just Teslas.

I was hoping the power port could be used to plug in a USB car charger for iPhone X. Normally these are inserted into a cigarette lighter port.

Will a car charger fit the power port in the same way it would in a cigarette lighter port? Below is a photo of the RAVPower 24W 4.8A Mini Dual USB Car Adapter with iSmart 2.0 Tech, an example of what I was considering.

Attachments

• 61IO+VWMhpL._SX679_.jpg
    61IO+VWMhpL._SX679_.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 81
Yes, it will fit.

This might also interest you (I copied it from another post):

Ingineer said:
BTW, it's a simple matter to keep the 12v outlet in the console live all the time if desired.
It's just a simple relay in fuse box #2 (the one on the passenger side under the removable cowling cover - see owner’s manual).

Simply make up a jumper consisting of short piece of 14AWG or better wire with a couple of male 1/4" spade terminals. Pull the front most passenger side relay out and insert the jumper into the now exposed 1/4" female receptacles, and you're done, the 12v outlet is now on all the time. You can quickly change it back anytime by removing the jumper and reinstalling the relay.

one.jpg

two.jpg

Camper mode keeps the HVAC running, but the 12v power port will still turn off after awhile.

Yes, it will fit.

This might also interest you (I copied it from another post):

Ingineer said:
BTW, it's a simple matter to keep the 12v outlet in the console live all the time if desired.
It's just a simple relay in fuse box #2 (the one on the passenger side under the removable cowling cover - see owner’s manual).

Simply make up a jumper consisting of short piece of 14AWG or better wire with a couple of male 1/4" spade terminals. Pull the front most passenger side relay out and insert the jumper into the now exposed 1/4" female receptacles, and you're done, the 12v outlet is now on all the time. You can quickly change it back anytime by removing the jumper and reinstalling the relay.

View attachment 333649
View attachment 333650

Camper mode keeps the HVAC running, but the 12v power port will still turn off after awhile.
Yeah, that relay is not there on a refresh MS. I don't know that anyone has found a way to keep the accessory port powered on a newer car.