Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Campground NEMA 14-50 from Diesel Generator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be traveling to Death Valley and camping overnight at Panamint Springs Resort. The campground caters to RV's and tent camping, and I reserved a RV camp spot with NEMA 14-50 power (so I can charge my Model X).

I leaned that the whole place is off grid and they use Diesel generator power. Will my Tesla charge from this power? Any advice?

It's here in PlugShare.
Panamint Springs Resort
Panamint Springs Resort | Panamint Springs, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

I leaned that the whole place is off grid and they use Diesel generator power. Will my Tesla charge from this power? Any advice?

Yeah... certainly not ideal but if you really need the juice your car will reluctantly accept it...

At the very 1st TMC connect there was a large diesel generator charging cars. I never used it but it appeared to work... in a manner of speaking...

Man... why on Earth don't they have solar there? Keep the diesel for backup... sure... but there's so much sun there and solar is so cheap now....

Reactions: nnick01
I will be traveling to Death Valley and camping overnight at Panamint Springs Resort. The campground caters to RV's and tent camping, and I reserved a RV camp spot with NEMA 14-50 power (so I can charge my Model X).

It's here in PlugShare.
Panamint Springs Resort
Panamint Springs Resort | Panamint Springs, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Sounds like a question for Tesla Service Center.
Presumably the warning on Panamint's site would have to do with electronics in appliances of new RVs. Would your on-board charger have problems converting "dirty" AC to DC? Ask the experts.

Solar may be cheap, but storing energy for charging cars at night is still kind of pricey.

Sure... I imagine they would use the diesel most nights... but daytime AC is a more typical load... using solar instead of diesel would probably pay for itself in <1 year...

Sounds like a question for Tesla Service Center.
Presumably the warning on Panamint's site would have to do with electronics in appliances of new RVs. Would your on-board charger have problems converting "dirty" AC to DC? Ask the experts.

There's a good chance the default answer would be 'no'. No reason to put your neck our with a 'yes' ;). I can say that I've seen several Teslas charging off a ~100kW diesel at the 1st TMC connect. So take that for what it's worth...

I happen to know the resort in question (I helped with some of the network design, remotely).

The generator is not your run of the mill small generator, it's built to run the entire resort, and the power quality should be decent.

-Harry

I am a friend of Harry's (the one who roped him into helping with the network). I have been going to PSR for over a decade, and am very familiar with their operation. I have no financial interest in PSR, but am friends with the owners, and my son works there as restaurant manager (among other things).

PSR is indeed off-grid, and generates all their electricity via diesel generator. The main unit is a new 135 KW generator. The generator has significant safeguards for voltage and frequency variations. However, as folks have pointed out, PSR can make no guarantees of the suitability for the power for charging cars. The campground hookups are at the far end of the line, furthest from the generator. As such, at times, the voltage may be a bit low on that side of the road. PSR has received comments that some very new RVs will not allow connection to the power.

The campground does indeed have 9 Full hookup RV sites that have 120V 50amp power available. There is no charging available at the motel rooms. You may be able to call them , and discuss your options. Telling them I mentioned this may help.

With electric vehicles being a fairly new occurrence, combined with the remoteness of PSR, I would not expect this to change anytime soon (lack of specific charging stations). It is, however, something I will bring up to management the next time I'm out there.

And yes, solar would be great. It is being looked at for use fro certain applications at the resort. But lack of a grid to tie into makes the cost factors substantially different.

If you have other questions about PSR, I'd be happy to try and answer them. They do have a tremendous beer selection!

David Bricker / SYR