Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping: how to keep HVAC on over 30min?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't, but it's a good idea and discussed before. I wonder if visible tesla's scheduling system could be made to do this. I'll go look.

Update: Yes, the scheduler can be used to turn on the HVAC. It's not ideal though, you would have to create an entry every 30 minutes to send the "ON" command. There is a limit of 16 entries, so you could get 8 hours this way. Enough for overnight. I'm going to go try this.

This sounds by far the best solution. Waiting with bated breath to hear your results. (where did the phrase "Waiting with bated breath" originate?)

I haven't, but it's a good idea and discussed before. I wonder if visible tesla's scheduling system could be made to do this. I'll go look.

Update: Yes, the scheduler can be used to turn on the HVAC. It's not ideal though, you would have to create an entry every 30 minutes to send the "ON" command. There is a limit of 16 entries, so you could get 8 hours this way. Enough for overnight. I'm going to go try this.

Oh oh, this would require a data service, at least on the phone. As I'm looking at adventuring into places without phone service, I suspect this approach wouldn't work. Though I don't know if my android phone can be a hotspot if it is not receiving service - I'm just assuming not. And, I'm not sure if I can test this....

- - - Updated - - -

Someone asked if I'd buckled the seat belt with the weight in the seat and plugged in...I did not so that may be another variable to check. But honestly, I'm skeptical.
Tesla support said 50 lbs on the driver seat would work. Then after hanging up with me, they went out and tried it to discover that 80 lbs is necessary to keep the car on. (Thanks Tesla guys!) So, let's see... A case of wine is 40 lbs. Two cases would work, but I'd have a problem then on the second night....

That aside, I asked if the car would still time out, and they said no, the car thinks someone is there and stays on. But, I don't think they tested it. So, thats a test to be done...

Wittiness and cleverness aside, they recommend the water jugs which are 40 lbs apiece.

Tesla support said 50 lbs on the driver seat would work. Then after hanging up with me, they went out and tried it to discover that 80 lbs is necessary to keep the car on. (Thanks Tesla guys!) So, let's see... A case of wine is 40 lbs. Two cases would work, but I'd have a problem then on the second night....
LOL! That's funny...and accurate!

That aside, I asked if the car would still time out, and they said no, the car thinks someone is there and stays on. But, I don't think they tested it. So, thats a test to be done...

Wittiness and cleverness aside, they recommend the water jugs which are 40 lbs apiece.
That's still a lot of speculation....
someone needs to go physically sit in their car, while plugged in, seat buckled I guess, and wait the 30+ minutes to see if it times out. And 80 lbs...that's quite a lot of weight, and an additional layer of planning. I don't want to carry 80 lbs of anything unnecessarily, and while I could bring some large jugs ( 10 gallons worth) then you have to have a water source to fill them and then you've got jugs of water sitting in the driver's seat..not exactly ideal.

We need a camping mode, pure and simple. Too many complex work arounds.

My experience sitting in the car at lunch reading for an hour that the car does time out after 30 minutes. If you catch the time out just as the screen is fading, touching the screen will turn everything back on. If not, the car shuts off and the only way to turn it back on is by opening the door. This may be the car going to sleep. If you turn off sleep mode then the car might not turn off.

A switch to short out the seat sensor sounds like a good way to go.

Oh oh, this would require a data service, at least on the phone. As I'm looking at adventuring into places without phone service, I suspect this approach wouldn't work. Though I don't know if my android phone can be a hotspot if it is not receiving service - I'm just assuming not. And, I'm not sure if I can test this....

- - - Updated - - -

My experience sitting in the car at lunch reading for an hour that the car does time out after 30 minutes. If you catch the time out just as the screen is fading, touching the screen will turn everything back on. If not, the car shuts off and the only way to turn it back on is by opening the door. This may be the car going to sleep. If you turn off sleep mode then the car might not turn off.

A switch to short out the seat sensor sounds like a good way to go.

That's it!

No intervention in cables required.

1) Place a weight in the seat to trigger the switch

2) Make some contraption with one of those smartphone "pens" to touch the screen at intervals (but make sure it doesn't touch anything that changes the settings!).

I am sure there could be some kind of holder activated by something and moving, like the air from the air con vent. Anything to make it move just slightly, to "touch" the screen.

Putting weight on the seat is not going to work. I take a car nap pretty often (in the driver's seat), and the car shutting off is basically the alarm clock for me after 30min. Pressing the brake turns it back on, but also includes some bells and noises, which you probably don't want to hear 15 times a night. The real solution is for the firmware to include a setting where you can leave the HVAC on as long as you want, while plugged in or not. Camp/Tailgate mode would be awesome.

Maybe a dumb question: has anyone tried keeping a weight on the brake pedal (instead of / in addition to one on the driver's seat)?

Also, if you really need more than 8 hours of uninterrupted AC and weights don't work, you might be able to have two instances of VisibleTesla running (either on 2 computers or in 2 different directories) to handle >16 scheduler entries.

Finally, if the screen is really too bright to sleep, even at "0%" brightness + screen cleaning mode, maybe just bring some black cloth with you.

Yeah, they're all hacks, but they might just get the job done. :)

I'm not really a camper, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Is it really that critical to be able to plug in overnight in these situations?

It seems like taking the 15-20 mile range loss and using the "neutral + e-brake" method would eliminate the need for all the complex workarounds.

I'm not really a camper, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Is it really that critical to be able to plug in overnight in these situations?

It seems like taking the 15-20 mile range loss and using the "neutral + e-brake" method would eliminate the need for all the complex workarounds.

In my case, yes. The primary reason I will be camping in the car overnight is to charge at an RV park.

Having recently slept in the car to obtain a full charge on a road trip when surrounded by nothing but low-end level 2 charging options, I understand this issue a bit better now. It would have been pointless if I couldn't charge at the same time...

Though, I never ran into issues with the climate control shutting off on me (dozing in a fully-reclined driver's seat). Mind you, it wasn't all that hot/muggy this particular night either, so its absence wasn't immediately felt.

Still no real solution to this issue. 8.1 is supposed to allow you to set thresholds where the HVAC system will run when the car is too hot or too cold, so that's the closest thing. Still not exactly what we want.

If you go the neutral/e-brake route, you can't leave the car plugged in and charging.

If you leave the car plugged in and charging, the only route I know that definitely works is to keep activating the climate control via the app while sleeping in the back. But that obviously doesn't work if you are camping in an area with no or poor signal.

I'm curious if putting the weight on the brake pedal would keep the car on, though I think it immediately throws an error on the screen if you press the brake pedal while the car is plugged in.

A decent solution for now would be an app that has a "camper mode" feature to keep the car on. I think I remember reading about one that was being developed, but I don't know if it ever reached market.

Still no real solution to this issue. 8.1 is supposed to allow you to set thresholds where the HVAC system will run when the car is too hot or too cold, so that's the closest thing. Still not exactly what we want.

If you go the neutral/e-brake route, you can't leave the car plugged in and charging.

If you leave the car plugged in and charging, the only route I know that definitely works is to keep activating the climate control via the app while sleeping in the back. But that obviously doesn't work if you are camping in an area with no or poor signal.

I'm curious if putting the weight on the brake pedal would keep the car on, though I think it immediately throws an error on the screen if you press the brake pedal while the car is plugged in.

A decent solution for now would be an app that has a "camper mode" feature to keep the car on. I think I remember reading about one that was being developed, but I don't know if it ever reached market.

I was browsing through the new posts when I found this one. Although the thread is mature it seems there still some interest in a fix. And there is a fix. And its an app with Camping Mode. Check out the app called "Remote S", (blue and white icon) written by a TMC contributor named Alan Wong. I don't see his thread that discusses it, so please search.

The thread is far more fancy than our Tesla app, but its very useful. It costs less than $10. I think its worth it. And Alan will listen to features you want to see added or changed.

Once you get the app, open it and log on to your Tesla account. Then at the top of the app in the center touch the Remote S header. The screen swaps to a more detailed window. Browse down until you find Camping Mode. Try it. Alan put a timer in the Camping Mode, but don't let that fool you. Once the timer counts down, it restarts again. You do need to consider a couple of things. 1) The app must be left on the main iphone screen running to keep the timer working. If the screen locks this could impact the app too.

I don't use the Camping Mode, but I know a couple of people that do. So give his app a try. If you get stuck contact Alan.

Reactions: Mattzilla
I was browsing through the new posts when I found this one. Although the thread is mature it seems there still some interest in a fix. And there is a fix. And its an app with Camping Mode. Check out the app called "Remote S", (blue and white icon) written by a TMC contributor named Alan Wong. I don't see his thread that discusses it, so please search.

The thread is far more fancy than our Tesla app, but its very useful. It costs less than $10. I think its worth it. And Alan will listen to features you want to see added or changed.

Once you get the app, open it and log on to your Tesla account. Then at the top of the app in the center touch the Remote S header. The screen swaps to a more detailed window. Browse down until you find Camping Mode. Try it. Alan put a timer in the Camping Mode, but don't let that fool you. Once the timer counts down, it restarts again. You do need to consider a couple of things. 1) The app must be left on the main iphone screen running to keep the timer working. If the screen locks this could impact the app too.

I don't use the Camping Mode, but I know a couple of people that do. So give his app a try. If you get stuck contact Alan.

That's fantastic news. I use Android, so I'll check and see if that version also supports camping mode. I'm curious how it works. My screen does time out eventually so hopefully that won't affect the functionality. Guess I can always get a refund if it doesn't work. I'm hitting a charger later so I'll hang out in the backseat and see if it really keeps the car turned on.