Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping in a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Darn, just made that decision a bit harder. The custom shape is appealing but the rectangular Duo Medium might be more practical for tent and other sleeping outside of the MY.

Wow the firment on the new
Darn, just made that decision a bit harder. The custom shape is appealing but the rectangular Duo Medium might be more practical for tent and other sleeping outside of the MY.

Wow the fitment on the new TXY is amazing.
I have the Synmat Duo LW. The width rides up on the sides a little and cradles us. And yes when I use it in my 3 man tent the rectangular shape is slightly better. But for me the deal breaker with the TXY is the weight and packed size. Mostly the packed size. My Syn packs up to a large football size. The TXY takes up half the Frunk in that video! Something to consider when you make your final decision. I’m rocking an X so YMMV. Whichever you chose know that Exped products are great.

Wow the firment on the new

Wow the fitment on the new TXY is amazing.
I have the Synmat Duo LW. The width rides up on the sides a little and cradles us. And yes when I use it in my 3 man tent the rectangular shape is slightly better. But for me the deal breaker with the TXY is the weight and packed size. Mostly the packed size. My Syn packs up to a large football size. The TXY takes up half the Frunk in that video! Something to consider when you make your final decision. I’m rocking an X so YMMV. Whichever you chose know that Exped products are great.
Yeah, that megamat is bigger than a backpacking mat. But compared to some of the folding foam mats out there of similar thickness like-
image_2021-03-12_141258.png

or this-
image_2021-03-12_141949.png

compared to-
image_2021-03-12_141509.png

I just don't get those foam beds...

Reactions: BitJam
Has anyone tried using the TXY on a model 3? Exped said it should fit but am wondering if it’s worth the extra bit over getting a regular duo mat 20% off at REI. Leaning towards getting the TXY for that extra arm cushion between the door and the seat but would appreciate any thoughts!

View attachment 572995 Here's a pic of my first ever "electric" camping - in Colorado's Golden Gate Canyon State Park.
I pitched a tent, but was prepared to move my Cabela's self-inflating mattress from my cot to the back of the Tesla if it got too cold.
Nice to wake up to a fully charged vehicle (charged to 90%).
Model Y LR AWD MSM/Black FSD, Tow Hitch.
Looks like a great time! What adapter do you use for plugging in at campsites?

Has anyone tried using the TXY on a model 3? Exped said it should fit but am wondering if it’s worth the extra bit over getting a regular duo mat 20% off at REI. Leaning towards getting the TXY for that extra arm cushion between the door and the seat but would appreciate any thoughts!
I haven't checked this thread in a bit...

Looks like the TXY is a little narrower in the middle than the medium size, which might work better for a 3. But I don't have a 3.

I bought the Basenor air mattress with integral pump (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085ZT4TZ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Some nice things about this one are that it is split 60/40 depending on whether you have one or both seats down, plus articulated pillows. The pump reverses to suck the air out and make it very compact, so it fits easily in a sack in the rear trunk side compartment. I've used it for a few nights and it's good value given the price. Only issue I have camping in the Y is at 6'2" I have to move the front seats forward a bit, which leaves a gap between the folded down rear seat and front seat...right where my head goes.

• Informative
Reactions: DavidAsheville
I bought and returned the TESMAT. I wanted to like it but when I laid on it I fully compressed the foam and could feel the hard base of the car so it was not conformable for me. The foam just wasn't firm enough to hold me. I'm about 170lbs btw.

Interested in seeing a review for the MegaMat Duo TXY.

Reactions: BitJam
Looks like a great time! What adapter do you use for plugging in at campsites?
Sorry for the late reply. I used the Tesla 14-50 adapter for 50-amp service on this trip. For the next trip, to the same park, the 50 amp service wasn't working so I used the 30 amp service.
I don't think that Tesla sells the required TT-30 adapter for the Gen 2 mobile charger. I found a TT-30 adapter at EVSEadapters.com that did the trick.

I bought and returned the TESMAT. I wanted to like it but when I laid on it I fully compressed the foam and could feel the hard base of the car so it was not conformable for me. The foam just wasn't firm enough to hold me. I'm about 170lbs btw.

Interested in seeing a review for the MegaMat Duo TXY.
I cannot speak in behalf of the TXY, bit I do have the Exped MegaMat Duo 10 that I've used for regular camping. It is the only way I could convince my SO to sleep on the ground outside in a tent, and she loves it. I primarily bought it for early winter and late fall camping in the Midwest as it is a great insulator but honestly I prefer it over my regular mattress. The firmness of the mattress is easily adjusted as it is a combo air+foam mattress. Increasing/decreasing air pressure adjust the firmness, while the foam keeps it "plush". I have no doubt that the TXY will maintain the same level of comfort. If you have an opportunity to go to an outdoor equipment store that has a sample on hand, you could try the MegaMat in person without having to buy/return the Tesla specific one.

That said, I am around 160 lbs but can side sleep without any issues, but YMMV. I have a Casper mattress for point of reference. I actually carry this around when visiting friends and family to use in place of an air mattress, as well.

Camping specific review of the younger brother, though keep a grain of salt in mind as these are camping pads not mattresses!: