Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping in a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently drove from Louisiana to Colorado for a camping trip. It was absolutely incredible & we did it all camping in the car.

The drive, 26-27 hours, was very easy. No stress, just sat back & relaxed. Basically stopped every 2 hours to charge.

We stayed at an RV park & used the same 14-50 plug to charge every night that we use at home.

Just for reference with the video, I'm 6'3"

Additionally, if I had to do something different, I would probably remove the bottom rear seat cushion to allow the back seats to be more flat (seen those camping in the M3 do this). I will also get/build something to support the corners of the mattress, as it hangs a little over the back seats.

The Tri-fold mattress can fit in the trunk space with the rear seats up & has room to fit a nice sized plastic bin we brought for storage (camping gear, dry food, ect).

Gear:
-Napier Backroadz SUV tent
-Yeti 45
-6" Tri-fold foam mattress
-Reflectix for the windows
-Sunshade for roof (took off once we were there)
-Collapsible camping table from REI

Cool! Your YouTube link is borked, by the way. Looks like the correct link is

I bought a popup camper to tow with the Tesla . But since I don't have a hitch yet, I had to borrow a friend's car to get it home. Have an appointment with the local Tesla service center tomorrow to get the hitch done and do some testing on consumption.

Attachments

• 00000_c2bPQ6AMrK2_09G07g_1200x900.jpg
    00000_c2bPQ6AMrK2_09G07g_1200x900.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20200907_130634.jpg
    IMG_20200907_130634.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: TKJD0817
I bought a popup camper to tow with the Tesla . But since I don't have a hitch yet, I had to borrow a friend's car to get it home. Have an appointment with the local Tesla service center tomorrow to get the hitch done and do some testing on consumption.
Nice. I'm looking for a similar trailer to tow with my Y. Be sure and let us know how it goes towing it. :)

Hitch is installed. Everything works. The camper has controllable brakes. I bought a Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller and inserted it into the Tesla and inserted the camper cable into the controller. When Tesla regens, the camper brakes are activated. It's like magic. :)

I did a short 20 min test drive and it feels like there is nothing in the back. I am going out now to do a range test and see if we can go camping this weekend with this setup. Here are some pics.

One huge positive is that it was super easy to connect the camper to the Y vs a Q5. Q5 also shudders a bit. The Y is rock solid during driving. I will post consumption numbers later tonight.

y_hitch_1.jpg
y_hitch_2.jpg
y_hitch_3.jpg
y_hitch_4.jpg
y_hitch_5.jpg

I drove about 60 miles round trip last night on I-90 East from Renton. The road goes towards the mountains, so it's sort of a good representation of a non-flat road. I did 60 mph with auto-pilot (turned off the trailer mode). The overall consumption averaged 355 wh/m. For my style of driving, I am usually get 260 wh/m without the camper.

This weekend I will do a 200 mile round trip to a state park. Will post that results.

@cloudshadow Setup looks great! Congrats. Yes looking forward to consumption numbers.
If you don't mind, which Fleetwood model is that? How much does it weigh?
Thanks in advance.

It's 2008 fleetwood Taos. Copy pasting the numbers from rvguide on dimensions and weight.

Dimensions

Length (closed)

12.83 ft. (154 in.)

Height (closed)

3.92 ft. (47 in.)

Width

7.42 ft. (89 in.)

Dry Weight

1,245 lbs.

Payload Capacity

955 lbs.

GVWR

2,200 lbs.

Hitch Weight

125 lbs.

I said this in the other post without being specific but the backup camera is able to show the hitch ball receiver pin while backing up to attach to the trailer. With this, I was able to hook and unhook without anyone helping / guiding. Also, Saturday was the first time I ever towed anything or touched a hitch pin, so it's a pretty friendly process. :)

We took out the camper this weekend towing with the Y. The consumption was about 350 wh/m. Plugged in at the campground while there. Feeling bold, I did take a detour to go to a more remote day camping area near Elma WA Google Maps. It was amazing. We spent a few hours there on the way back home. Finally arrived at home with 8% charge.

I am figuring out how to power the camper with the 12v plug in the trunk next :D.
c1.jpg
c2.jpg
c4.jpg
c5.jpg

Take a look at the Jackery 300 or 500, there’s a few YouTube videos on this, these are Solar generators.

Fred

Thanks. I'll check them out. My main purpose is to heat the camper. We live in the Seattle area. The surrounding 100 miles or so have cloudy / rainy weather 8 months in a year. I was reading somewhere that Coleman sells a cig lighter adapter to run the internal heater if I can power the fan with a 12v. With model Y's nice big battery, we can be boondocking for a week at a time without worrying about power.

Anyone camped in the Model Y with two people and also done so in a Model S? I've done many nights in a Model S with my partner...wondering how much tighter the width on the Model Y feels when sleeping...

Model S width excluding mirrors: 77.3"
Model Y width excluding mirrors: 75.6"

If I remember my comparison right i think the pinch point between the rear wheel wells is at least one inch less on the Y as well.