Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping Mattress for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that a typo? I'm not even aware of a 38" wide mattress that Milliard makes. If that's a queen, it's 75" x 58" x 4" so what size is it based on the common Twin, Full, Queen or King nomenclature?

No typo. Just a Milliard 4”X 38” X 75” 😎

9555E227-3804-4424-BA98-74D5E0681B50.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tezzie
Well the MS wheel wells are approx 38.5”. A larger one really does not fit. If there are two people, then either way, you have to fit between the wheel well bumps. At least that’s my experiences. (2021 MSP). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ8HWBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
When we camp in the car, my wife and I sleep back to back on our sides. This means that the extra width in front of and behind the wheel well is useful to sleep in a more natural position. A Twin just won't get r dun for us. I want something that provides that extra width especially up by the head end. If I was solo then the Twin would be the way to go as it's all you need.

Reactions: CaptUAL
Can confirm the Millard fits perfectly. I will be glamping on a 4k Western US National Park tour the next ten days. Buy their mattress sheet as well.

Remember to bring a pillow and slide the trunk cover between the folded seats and mattress so that the portion near the driver side is not sagging down. I regret not bringing that along. But I remedied it by facing my head towards the trunk. Testing it in the garage now with my 80lb dog next to me while typing this. Feels really cozy for two.

Saving just one $150 hotel stay pays for all of it.
This sounds great! Do you have a link for the Millard mattress sheets?

I've used this $50 air mattress with great success, including an 8 day, 2,700 mile road trip sleeping only in the car.

Some tips for an extended road trip, sleeping in the car: ( I have a 2013, AP 0)
  • Need a shower? Buy a day pass at any athletic center or gym
  • If you connect to Level 2 charging, and the charge completes during the night, it will continue to power the car's heater, and not subtract mileage.
  • Heater uses roughly 2.4 kW, so 8 hours = 19.2 kW*hr, or 22% of 85 kW*hr capacity. You will lose about 40 to 50 miles running the heat overnight.
  • I created a wooden offset, since the floor isn't level with the rear seats down, roughly 2" thick for the rear part of the back hatch.
  • A bowl, spoon, large tub of oatmeal, and a truck stop...quick snack of oatmeal, using the truck stop's "instant hot water" tap
  • Using a 3D printer, I made a small part to cover the rear of the center console. The bed's air valve was scratching the console.
  • I created a new driver profile called "Sleeping" that moves the driver's seat forward.
This way of traveling has extreme flexibility, and no "check in, check out" of hotels. You are also guaranteed the quality of the bed, and no bed bugs.
Also, while other friends were camping in tents, and it got severely windy overnight, I was very comfortable and protected in the car.

Brian

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne
I went a bit all out and got a rooftop tent. I car camp with the Millard and then throw it up top if I want to sleep in the tent. 🤣 Literally saved me $1000+ on AirBnBs. I like the ruggedness of the experience but it might not be for you sleeping in parking lots or going 2-4 days between showers. RV spot, usually $30, and charges overnight.

I got a lot of stares. Either because it was an EV with a roof tent or because I was driving a S and going super budget on lodging or any mix of the three. Plus the dog.

20220910_103017.jpg

Attachments

• 20220911_194538.jpg
    20220911_194538.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 20220910_113809.jpg
    20220910_113809.jpg
    980.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 20220906_082619.jpg
    20220906_082619.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Which size did you go with? Any modifications to the shape/size to make it fit better? I know that the queen size air mattresses we've used in the past would "taco" up due to the wheel wells. That is until we found a truck bed version that fits between those nicely. I was looking at the Millard as a more comfortable option but was planning to cut notches out of the sides to emulate this basic shape to fit the area better. Of course, then the issue is that I can't return it if we don't like it. We just need something more comfortable for longer trips. The air mattress we have is alright for a night or two but much beyond that it starts to elicit feelings of dread when thinking about the impending night of sleep late in the day.
The twin fits fine in the back but you'll need a board or plank in front to keep it from eating. The areas not covered by the front makes it easier to access rear door storage and let wells as well. I don't see you needing the little bit of side space left.

Get Teslamat privacy screen or something that will give you more privacy. I didn't mind people looking in but sleeping at a national park site had curious people walking by. It also helped I got a roof tent. I really enjoy car camping and got Starlink for areas with no reception and it worked pretty well. Make sure to find an open field though.

Quick update on this topic: I got tired of trying to make things work for the Model S that weren't made for the Model S. There's a company that makes those inflatable/foam camping style mattresses that are popular for camping due to ability to be rolled up and transported as well as their comfort. The air mattress we've used for years just wasn't cutting it for comfort anymore. I wanted something more comfortable that was also able to be put in a smaller space (frunk for instance) when not in use. There exists a version for the Model 3/Y and I figured it would fit the S no problem as well. Wrong. I still feel as though this style mattress would be about the best solution so I reached out directly to the manufacturer. Much to my surprise, they were open to working with me on measurements and suggestions to make something custom for the X/S. I'm hopeful to have something in my hands in the next couple of months to test out and, assuming everything out, they'll likely have it to market within a short period after that. I'll try to remember to update this thread as details emerge but I really hope this is the solution we've been looking for.

Quick update on this topic: I got tired of trying to make things work for the Model S that weren't made for the Model S. There's a company that makes those inflatable/foam camping style mattresses that are popular for camping due to ability to be rolled up and transported as well as their comfort. The air mattress we've used for years just wasn't cutting it for comfort anymore. I wanted something more comfortable that was also able to be put in a smaller space (frunk for instance) when not in use. There exists a version for the Model 3/Y and I figured it would fit the S no problem as well. Wrong. I still feel as though this style mattress would be about the best solution so I reached out directly to the manufacturer. Much to my surprise, they were open to working with me on measurements and suggestions to make something custom for the X/S. I'm hopeful to have something in my hands in the next couple of months to test out and, assuming everything out, they'll likely have it to market within a short period after that. I'll try to remember to update this thread as details emerge but I really hope this is the solution we've been looking for.
Would love to get any updates on whether you were able to work something out and what the timing might be on this new product. I'm anxious to find a solution for the model S just like you describe as being comfortable yet easily storable!

• Helpful
What's the name of the company and their contact information? I'd like to reach out to them as well.

any news on this?
I also need a twin bed which folds down to the frunk for my S Plaid.

What's the name of the company and their contact information? I'd like to reach out to them as well.

any news on this?
I also need a twin bed which folds down to the frunk for my S Plaid.
Nothing new to report, really. Sadly.

I was working with them to provide measurements, testing and feedback. I provided some measurements & feedback of a test product they sent as it needed some tweaking. Months later (after not hearing anything back for quite some time) I email for an update. The reply that I got seemed pretty disengaged and that I could buy the product on Amazon. I thought this odd so I reached out telling them that I assumed there would be another round to verify adjustments of a final sample before production begins. It seems like they skipped that step.

They basically told me to order on Amazon, credited me back the purchase price and then just didn't bother to heed my feedback about it not being done yet. They removed the Model Y specific option they had and I think they envision this being a single solution for all vehicles. IMO it's not nor was I providing info on that as the final result in mind.

Not really sure what happened with this project. They seem to not care about any feedback at this point and it's fairly close to being done but as a 2nd item specifically for the S/X. It seems their content to offer a single "one-size-fits-all" option for all vehicles which ends up making this just "meh" for all of them in it's current state.

The previous version they had for the 3/Y was fine but needed to be thicker. They were all too thin for *ahem* us larger Americans at I think 2.5" thick or something. This required you to add additional inflation to not bottom out and be laying on the floor when you were on it. This also made for one more step and also decreased how comfortable it was by being too stuff. The one they sent (just a rectangular one-person size) to test was 4" or 4.5" thick and this was perfect. You could flip the valve, let it does it's thing and then have a comfortable sleep w/o having to add more air. This was ideal IMO.

So, I think if I got someone with that organization who cared they have two products that are super close to being the best option for these vehicles. Instead, what we appear to be left with is one single solution that doesn't really work that well for any of the platforms.