Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping mode help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Dommmm

hi all,

Enjoying the model 3, it's great! Love it!
I have a quick question and hopefully it will be easily solved if anyone has tips!

Had a quick trial of camping mode recently, and could not figure out a usable way to use it!
When I put camping mode on the fan blasted air intermittently, which was loud! then I thought turn it off and it left car screen on. So I turned screen off and every now and then it woke itself up. So eventually I did lock as though I was leaving the car and a bit bit of movement set the alarm off! so it was a fail ha

But air conditioning aside is there a way of just turning the power off and not having the alarm on without car waking up constantly? would be happier to not use the ac and preserve the battery, especially as it'll like be off the beaten track!

Anyhow, imagine the potential for some trips in the car will be great, thanks in advance Dom

Okay, a lot to unpack there (camping pun?).

First, take your climate out of auto and set it up the way you like it before entering camp mode. I usually set it up for mid and lower vents as well as rear then, depending on the outside temperature and nearby fire pits, set up a comfortable A/C temperature w/recirc (if expecting smoke) or just leave it on fan. The important thing, regardless of A/C choice, is to set the fan level you can live with. Keep in mind, if you do set a temperature (rather than LO), the heater may kick in whether you have A/C or fan only.

You can always, use the app (provided you and the car have a cell signal) to adjust temperature setting but you can't change fan speed, A/C, or auto without tapping the main screen and waking it up (sometimes an awkward reach from the back but necessary with no cell coverage).

Of course, you can use individual settings to duplicate the settings employed during camp mode but, even though you can turn off the alarm, etc., you can't stop the lights from disturbing your neighbors. Aside from covering them up, camp mode is the only way to keep those headlights off. Before camp mode existed, I learned that you could set up a driver profile which took care of a lot of those settings and I still use that profile in camp mode even though some of the settings are duplicated. Gotta remember to remove the walk up profile change from the keys screen while camping.

Generally speaking, I use the app to lock my doors once I'm inside then I turn off my phone's bluetooth so nobody can just walk up and open a door with the phone inside. I can't remember if that's been resolved by camp mode but it seems like a good habit. I still turn my BT back on before getting out because it used to set off the alarm but, again, I think camp mode may eliminate that issue.

Finally, when leaving your car at the camp site and going for a hike or bike ride, you might want to take it out of camp mode to reenable the alarm/sentry mode (especially if plugged in) and, depending on your situation, you might want to turn off the climate with or without overheat protection (can pre-cool/heat when heading back to camp site if you have cell coverage). If there's no cell coverage and lots of wildlife, might be better to leave the alarm off since you won't be able to silence it on a hike.

Okay, a lot to unpack there (camping pun?).

First, take your climate out of auto and set it up the way you like it before entering camp mode. I usually set it up for mid and lower vents as well as rear then, depending on the outside temperature and nearby fire pits, set up a comfortable A/C temperature w/recirc (if expecting smoke) or just leave it on fan. The important thing, regardless of A/C choice, is to set the fan level you can live with. Keep in mind, if you do set a temperature (rather than LO), the heater may kick in whether you have A/C or fan only.

You can always, use the app (provided you and the car have a cell signal) to adjust temperature setting but you can't change fan speed, A/C, or auto without tapping the main screen and waking it up (sometimes an awkward reach from the back but necessary with no cell coverage).

Of course, you can use individual settings to duplicate the settings employed during camp mode but, even though you can turn off the alarm, etc., you can't stop the lights from disturbing your neighbors. Aside from covering them up, camp mode is the only way to keep those headlights off. Before camp mode existed, I learned that you could set up a driver profile which took care of a lot of those settings and I still use that profile in camp mode even though some of the settings are duplicated. Gotta remember to remove the walk up profile change from the keys screen while camping.

Generally speaking, I use the app to lock my doors once I'm inside then I turn off my phone's bluetooth so nobody can just walk up and open a door with the phone inside. I can't remember if that's been resolved by camp mode but it seems like a good habit. I still turn my BT back on before getting out because it used to set off the alarm but, again, I think camp mode may eliminate that issue.

Finally, when leaving your car at the camp site and going for a hike or bike ride, you might want to take it out of camp mode to reenable the alarm/sentry mode (especially if plugged in) and, depending on your situation, you might want to turn off the climate with or without overheat protection (can pre-cool/heat when heading back to camp site if you have cell coverage). If there's no cell coverage and lots of wildlife, might be better to leave the alarm off since you won't be able to silence it on a hike.
hi Skygraff,

really appreciate the info, it's such a good idea Camp mode and the flat split in seats lends itself for it.
The pano roof is another feature that makes it a winner.

Will indeed put some fo this to use, many thanks again Dom

The engineers who programed "Camp Mode" should actually go camping. As it is, it's no different than setting climate to something you can live with. The biggest problems to solve when camping in the car are: lights, noise, moisture build-up/venting, and bugs! Therefore, a *real* camp mode would keep the screen dark, keep the lights off, and if you really wanted to get fancy, attach a narrow band of no-see-um netting to the windows and lower them a bit. A fan pulling in fresh air at constant low speed would also be good, but this can be done with existing climate controls.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ