TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Camping mode request

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by efxjim, Feb 6, 2013.

1. efxjim

efxjim Member

I have a "camping trip" coming up and found the back of the S to be quite comfy. I had to cut out a foam bolster to smooth out the uneven seat. I would love to have a camping mode that would leave the radio on and run the climate control all night long (plugged in or not).

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

If you put the car in neutral then put on the parking brake you'll accomplish that. Be sure to turn off the headlights too.
    But I agree that it would be nice if there was a convenient "Passengers in car" or "Camping" mode. It's annoying that the car shuts off if the driver gets out of the car..sometimes I get out to drop off one kid while the other 2 wait in the car, but it always shuts off before I get back.

3. Owner

Owner Active Member

I'd like to hear a report back after the trip how sleeping went. I've slept in SUVs but never could jury rig the uneven seats quite right. I love to explore far and remote places where lodging is not always available.

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

"Stand by" with a timer would be a great addition ..

5. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Use the phone app to run the climate control.

Radio would need to be manually entered and you'd need to crawl over the seats rather than shut the doors. If that works at all. I've only sat in passenger side and played with the radio while it is parked and plugged in.

6. efxjim

efxjim Member

I think if you leave the front seats with the doors closed it shuts down. But I will try it.

7. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

#7 jhs_7645, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    Evan is correct, (I believe though, that you have to use the screen to put the car in park, and not the stalk on the steering wheel). I've used that procedure to preheat my car before the app came.

I've created a FAQ entry for this: 5.4 Can I leave my car on while I'm not in it?