Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!! I've been thinking about taking my Tesla out to camp for a weekend and was curious how long the battery would last running ac at night without being plugged in. Any idea?

It depends how hot it is outside. The highest I’ve ever seen the usage for our AC go was about 1kW(that’s basically constant full blast AC). If that was your usage(very doubtful at night), you’d lose about 4 miles range per hour. On a Model S 75 at 100%, that’ll last you around 3 days.

The only thing I’d be worried about is making sure you have enough to get to your campground, run the AC and deal with vampire drain as long as you’re there, and still make it back to the nearest charger.

Someone asked a similar question so I went ahead and did an experiment running my 2012Model S for 1 hour in 93F and set A/C at 72F and it lost 5 rated miles.

That's pretty much my experience. I've left the A/C on for as much as the full 4 hours while away from the car (just forgetting to turn it back off when plans changed), and I've seen a consistent loss of roughly 1.5%/hr from my S 90.