Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping overnight in hot weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen some reviews of sleeping overnight in a Tesla in cold weather, but what about blazing hot weather? I'm going to a three day festival in Pal Springs with average outside Temps of 110 degrees. I am interested in car camping, but there are no outlets. If I keep the car at 72 degrees for about 10 hours per day, can I make it the whole weekend on a 2018 M3 LR?

I've seen some reviews of sleeping overnight in a Tesla in cold weather, but what about blazing hot weather? I'm going to a three day festival in Pal Springs with average outside Temps of 110 degrees. I am interested in car camping, but there are no outlets. If I keep the car at 72 degrees for about 10 hours per day, can I make it the whole weekend on a 2018 M3 LR?
I leave my M3P during the day with my cabin overheat set to A/C. I have tinted windows (3m crystalline) and use heatshield covers on all but the back side windows. When it’s 110-120 in direct sunlight it sucks about 5-10% battery over 10 hours. Before tint it would use over 20%. My guess is if you were at 100% you would make it through the 30 hours.

Reactions: Jejunjm
I leave my M3P during the day with my cabin overheat set to A/C. I have tinted windows (3m crystalline) and use heatshield covers on all but the back side windows. When it’s 110-120 in direct sunlight it sucks about 5-10% battery over 10 hours. Before tint it would use over 20%. My guess is if you were at 100% you would make it through the 30 hours.
I'm going to say, based upon my experience, that a 3 day festival without charging is too much.
In 110 heat, the car is going to spend a lot of energy on cabin overheat protection.

Unless...

Go to Home Depot, and buy a roll of reflectix insulation. It's like reflective bubble wrap. You can cut pieces to fit in the side, rear, front, and top windows. Get the 2' x 25' roll. As soon as you park, put the reflectix in the windows. Not only will you sleep better 'cause it's darker, but the car will stay much cooler.

Watch your power. Make sure you have a backup plan. Know what your minimum percentage is to get to the nearest charger.

Reactions: play150