Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Camping Trailer Selection for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We drove up to Canada to see the Alto. Nice but its NOT weatherized
Swazi, did you go to Get-Away RV in Abbotsford B.C. to see an Alto? That is the Safari Condo dealer I ordered my Alto through.

Can you please expand on your "not weatherized" statement? What does that mean? Given that Safari Condo is in Quebec, a region where the winters are seriously cold, I would expect that their trailers would be reasonably well insulated. I won't be using mine to camp in the wintertime but do want to be able to stay warm on cold nights at 8,000 ft in California mountains.

Check out the T@B Outback and launching this week the T@B 400... and nüCamp’s T@B 400 debuts to rave reviews
Those trailers are certainly very compact. The T@B400 appears to have an exterior kitchen, so I'll pass on that model. The T@B Outback has the kitchen inside but the dining area and sleeping area are the same, not separate like the Alto, and it's quite a bit heavier.

Nice that there are a range of choices in the compact trailer market, thanks.

Also the Airstream Base Camp. New this year
The Base Camp was offered for a while back in '07/'08 I believe, but discontinued and re-released this year with the tapered roof. The Nest is the newest addition (by Airstream's purchase) and probably won't be seen until late next year. Just in time for the Model 3, I might add...

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for! Perhaps my manual is old. Is that on the Towing a Trailer section or the dimensions and weights section?
Under "Towing A Trailer", page 67 in the version I'm referencing.

I'm looking forward to more data from the trailers being towed! My wife and I are beginning planning for our next road trip (2 to 3 months of traveling in the southwest in March/April/May), and would like input about what data would be useful to you from pulling our Airstream 22 ft Bambi with our 90D. Any thoughts?
Jim, I'd love more detailed consumption data. There are some apps available to collect the telemetry for you. Here are a couple of choices (others can chime in if they have better feedback; I collect mine using my own app).

TeslaFi.com
TeslaLog.com - Your hosted Tesla Data Logger - Announcement / Support threads

I think these will give you maps and consumption numbers that you could sanitize and publish. Airstream would probably enjoy having them as well. By the way, Sandy at Airstream says hello!

• Informative
Reactions: qadaemon
Here are some pertinent graphics I found online while trying to ascertain the coefficient of drag related to travel trailers, and radiused-ones (Airstream, Bowlus, etc) in general. My source was ecomodder.com, but the graphics have original source referenced. You can see that the radius helps a lot, as does minimizing the gap between the TV and the trailer.

Scan1.JPG

Gaps.JPG

Untitled-6.JPG

Here are some pertinent graphics I found online while trying to ascertain the coefficient of drag related to travel trailers, and radiused-ones (Airstream, Bowlus, etc) in general
Thanks, that is fascinating. In the first graphic, I am surprised that just small changes in the vehicle shape, like rounding the corners, can reduce the CD so dramatically. Once that is done, tapering and extending the "tail" of the vehicle makes a big difference. Of course that isn't practical on a vehicle. But I think it at least in part explains why the Bowlus Road Chief towing energy usage numbers are as low as they are: that trailer has a quite pronounced taper at the rear, more than most trailers and certainly more than an Airstream, for example.

To Supercharge I assume one would need to unhook the trailer.

I don't recall any "pull through" supercharges ...

I was charging my Model X at the Manteca, CA, charging station when a guy pulls up with his Model X with an Airstream trailer. He did NOT unhook his trailer. He simply pulled alongside the charging kiosk and plugged in. Fortunately the arrangement of the parking lot allowed him to only block the parking space that the charging kiosk was assigned to.

I asked him about mileage between charges and he said he was getting around 130 miles. Looking inside the Model X he had it packed with stuff. I didn't see inside the trailer. It looked pretty big to me.

I was charging my Model X at the Manteca, CA, charging station when a guy pulls up with his Model X with an Airstream trailer. He did NOT unhook his trailer. He simply pulled alongside the charging kiosk and plugged in. Fortunately the arrangement of the parking lot allowed him to only block the parking space that the charging kiosk was assigned to.

I asked him about mileage between charges and he said he was getting around 130 miles. Looking inside the Model X he had it packed with stuff. I didn't see inside the trailer. It looked pretty big to me.
I'm betting that was our very own @JimVandegriff.

OK, I received some documentation from Hymer about their North American Eriba Touring line (discussed by @DaveT earlier in this thread). Impressive stats. Notable for Model X owners - widths range from 79" to 83" wide, which puts them mostly inside the slip stream of the X's non-mirrored width (81.5"). All trailer heights (during travel) are 89", which is with the closed pop-top. Tongue weight of 100 lbs means owners with 22" wheels can easily tow any of the trailers. Dry weight ranges from 1464 lbs - 2119 lbs, and the GVWR is under 3000 lbs across the line.

An important note - they have handles at the back, and you can move these trailers manually once unhitched. People use this for campsite positioning, where I'm sure it's quite useful. However, the first thing that came to my mind was Supercharging.

While they say they can sleep up to 4, I really don't think these trailers are comfortable for more than 2 occupants and a small child, or 2 occupants and a pet. That's completely my opinion, though. If I were looking for a trailer for just my wife and myself, these would definitely be on the short list.

I've uploaded the spec sheets here.

**Edited to add: I just noticed that the black and grey water tank sizes/information are missing. I also noted that the fresh water tank is a measly 4.6 US gallons, but is upgradeable to 20 gallons. I'm assuming that'll add weight. And finally, I don't note any air conditioning, only a furnace.

Attachments

• Touring 310 Spec Sheet FINAL.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 77
  • Touring 418 Spec Sheet FINAL.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • Touring 542 Spec Sheet FINAL.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • Touring 550 Spec Sheet FINAL.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: pl804 and vandacca
Thanks for those spec sheets. The only Eriba model that would fit the criteria my wife and I have developed is the Touring 542 model. It looks very functional with some nice features, but with the roof retracted it is still 6" taller than the Alto R1743 with the roof retracted. It is also 270 lbs heavier (width is essentially the same). Not big differences, but when towing every little bit counts. Whether a somewhat squarish trailer with radiused edges like the Eriba is better or worse in terms of drag than a teardrop roof style trailer with completely flat sidewalls like the Alto I just don't know.

Here is the Alto viewed from the rear quarter.
IMG_0180.JPG

The Alto from the front quarter.
IMG_0182.JPG

Here is an Eriba Touring.
IMG_0181.PNG

And with the pop up section of the roof raised.
IMG_0187.PNG

The Alto with the roof raised. I have been inside this trailer and with the roof up it is amazingly spacious and airy feeling for a 17 ft trailer. I have not seen an Eriba in real life.
IMG_0189.JPG

I have ordered an Alto R1723 (won't receive it until early 2018) in part because I think it is the most aerodynamic trailer in its size class. But so far the only X owner I have heard of who tows an Alto is @fortytwo so their energy consumption data is all I have to go on.

Last edited:
Thanks for those spec sheets. The only Eriba model that would fit the criteria my wife and I have developed is the Touring 542 model. It looks very functional with some nice features, but with the roof retracted it is still 6" taller than the Alto R1743 with the roof retracted. It is also 270 lbs heavier (width is essentially the same). Not big differences, but when towing every little bit counts. Whether a somewhat squarish trailer with radiused edges like the Eriba is better or worse in terms of drag than a teardrop roof style trailer with completely flat sidewalls like the Alto I just don't know.

Here is the Alto viewed from the rear quarter.
View attachment 204936

The Alto from the front quarter.
View attachment 204937

Here is an Eriba Touring.
View attachment 204938
And with the pop up section of the roof raised.
View attachment 204939
The Alto with the roof raised. I have been inside this trailer and with the roof up it is amazingly spacious and airy feeling for a 17 ft trailer. I have not seen an Eriba in real life.
View attachment 204940

I have ordered an Alto R1723 (won't receive it until early 2018) in part because I think it is the most aerodynamic trailer in its size class. But so far the only X owner I have heard of who tows an Alto is @fortytwo so their energy consumption data is all I have to go on.

We hope to join you in 2018 with our 1723, so there will be at least 3 X-Alto combos.
We currently have a T@B, which we just towed for the first time with the X. We had one very harrowing uphill section of ~70 miles between SCs with zero charging infra in between, ~30 F, and hit a pocket of snow part way. Went down to 40mph when the snow started sticking and maintained that speed the rest of the way to get to the SC with positive range. We made it but there was a lot of nervous checking of kWh usage the last 10-15 miles.

So that said, we will delay the trip to pick up the Alto until temps are consistently well above freezing.

We hope to join you in 2018 with our 1723, so there will be at least 3 X-Alto combos.
When are you planning to put a deposit down on an Alto? There is at least a one year wait after making a deposit.
We currently have a T@B, which we just towed for the first time with the X
What kind of wH/mi numbers are you seeing when towing and which X version do you have?

ecarfan...yes Abbotsford. The dealer told us that there is no/little insulation in order to get the weight down...I made the smart*s comment something to the effect "seriously, and its made in Canada?" Yup. Only useable in summer. Not sure what would happen at 8000'

ecarfan...yes Abbotsford. The dealer told us that there is no/little insulation in order to get the weight down...I made the smart*s comment something to the effect "seriously, and its made in Canada?" Yup. Only useable in summer. Not sure what would happen at 8000'
Well, it does appear there's an optional heater, so I suppose with the right clothing/bedding and the heater on, one should be OK. I don't see an air conditioning option, though, so I imagine hotter areas are not as comfortable.

Okay, thanks for the info. I won't be using the Alto during the winter but definitely will from spring and into fall. I discussed the Alto heater choices with the salesperson and he said the standard EcoCombi space/water heater (I think that is how he described it) was fine for non-winter use, he did not recommend the optional more powerful heater. I have until next November before I have to finalize my order and plan to do more research.

@ohmman there is an optional AC unit for the Alto which I will be getting. It is described as a "Heat Pump Air Conditioner 12000 BTU floor installed". See the "Comfort and Convenience" section of this document http://www.safaricondo.com/pdf/caracteristiques_alto_en.pdf