TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CampShare? Campground-o???

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Twiddler, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

First, I apologize to the Mods if this has already been covered (which it probably has), but I do not get info on campsites on the plugshare, recargo, or chargemap apps. Is it perhaps that there are none between Houston, Dallas, and Austin? How do you map out campsites for charging? I want to make a trip to Houston in my 60 in March, but the j1772s in College Station of questionable status are leaving me with an uneasy feeling :scared:

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

There is always an RV park nearby...but they don't always have 14-50 outlets, so you should call. (Be sure to ask for "50 amp" service. They are almost always confused if you mention 14-50, or 240V. Their 30A service is at 110V, and Tesla does not offer an adapter for it).

There are also a few that don't understand electricity and think your EV will "do something" to their service and won't let you charge. I think people like this are becoming fewer.

There also used to be a very wide range of fees for charging...I have paid anywhere from $0 to $47. Much easier to negotiate in advance. Most places now will charge you their "day use" fee (often $5 - 10).

4. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Thank you so much for your reply, Bonnie - downloading Allstays currently. As an amusing aside, I have absolutely no interest in camping otherwise, but I guess the banner ads read my post, as this popped up when I came back to this page...

Banner Ad.png