Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Campsite experiences: is 14-50 or TT-30 more common?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been using https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XNSXWM4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 at my in-laws all week. they had a TT-30 installed for their motor home.

I feed that into a 30 foot, 50 amp extension cord then into the 14-50 adapter on the mobile charger. When I first set it up, I dialed the amps back to 24. It’s been working fine.
This is the setup I have but haven’t used yet. What type of charging speed are you getting?

So the only place you would use these adapters are plugging into outlets. And that itself is getting rare. And it's kind of a self solving issue. If you are near cities, you have those options--1-3. If you are away from cities, that is where you have camping and RV parks, so the 14-50 and TT-30 would be there. You're not going to go knocking on someone's door and asking to use their dryer outlet.

When visiting relatives out in the country I would use their dryer outlet. So for me a "complete" set when visiting/traveling would be 5-15, 5-20, 14-50, TT-30, 14-30 (new electric dryer), and 10-30 (old electric dryer). I do have a 6-30 240V window air conditioner receptacle in my home, but I haven't bothered to get an adapter for that (the cable from the car to there would be too long/heavy). I purchased a couple of my adapters from EVSE Adapters.

For home I use my Wall Connector daily and also installed a 14-50 as a back-up if firmware bricks the Wall Connector for some reason. When on the road I use Super Chargers. I'm intentionally avoiding adapters for J1772, CHAdeMO, and CCS1.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

This is the setup I have but haven’t used yet. What type of charging speed are you getting?

Constant 3 kW. When i first set it up, I kept checking to make sure the outlet and adapters weren't getting hot (the outlet hadn't been used in over 10 years). I stopped checking after the first couple of days because everything was working fine.

Looking back at the stats, I had one session from 9-5 where I added 25% to the battery.

Slow (ok, very slow) and steady wins the race.

Reactions: dogmodes
Reviewing this again to make sure I have the adapters I might need. Will probably still order the tt-30 from EVSE for when it comes back in, just for a sense of security out there. Will still be in for less than the full Tesla adapter kit, and should be well covered based on the discussion in this thread, with what I have now. Thanks!

Reactions: brkaus
Reviewing this again to make sure I have the adapters I might need. Will probably still order the tt-30 from EVSE for when it comes back in, just for a sense of security out there. Will still be in for less than the full Tesla adapter kit, and should be well covered based on the discussion in this thread, with what I have now. Thanks!
We have been travelling across Canada for almost 3 weeks and stayed in campgrounds almost every night. Not one had 50 amp service. But that is quite often the case in Canada. The TT 30 has been invaluable for us.

9573FC03-04AF-4074-9B7E-409C39578FCB.jpeg

We have been travelling across Canada for almost 3 weeks and stayed in campgrounds almost every night. Not one had 50 amp service. But that is quite often the case in Canada. The TT 30 has been invaluable for us.

View attachment 814931
Nice! Will get one for sure. Curious what pulling your cute teardrop does to your range? Care to share? DM or here. Thanks!!

Reactions: bruce4000
Naturally, in the Tesla tradition the TT-30 adapter at EVSE for $89.95 is sold out.
Just bought TT-30 from EGSE and arrived in 2 days. House sitting for friend in San Juan Islands WA. House had a dedicated “RV” outlet they said which turned out to be TT-30. Great being able to charge up every night at 14 cents kWh , gas is super expensive on island ( no wonder I see Leafs every where).

I bought this adapter https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHDRBBT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 which just plugs into your Tesla 14-50. Might be cheaper and is certainly less room than a dedicated Tesla adapter.
Those can work...in a way, and I do have something similar, but it has a problem. I bought one of those many years ago when we didn't have many good options and Tesla was continually sold out of any type of 30A adapters for years. Now there's a much better way, so we don't have to use stuff like that.

The problem with it is that it's making you use the Tesla 14-50 plug, and it's a chip inside that plug, which tells the car what the amp limit should be. So in this case, that's going to be higher than what you should be using from a TT-30. Someone would need to remember each time they use it to turn down the amps to only 24 or less as it is ramping up. Having to rely on that human memory factor just isn't something you'll see recommended around here much. The TT-30 adapter that EVSEAdapters.com sells is built from an original Tesla 30A type, so it properly sends the car the signal to use 24A maximum.

Those can work...in a way, and I do have something similar, but it has a problem. I bought one of those many years ago when we didn't have many good options and Tesla was continually sold out of any type of 30A adapters for years. Now there's a much better way, so we don't have to use stuff like that.

The problem with it is that it's making you use the Tesla 14-50 plug, and it's a chip inside that plug, which tells the car what the amp limit should be. So in this case, that's going to be higher than what you should be using from a TT-30. Someone would need to remember each time they use it to turn down the amps to only 24 or less as it is ramping up. Having to rely on that human memory factor just isn't something you'll see recommended around here much. The TT-30 adapter that EVSEAdapters.com sells is built from an original Tesla 30A type, so it properly sends the car the signal to use 24A maximum.
Yes, you are correct about that for sure.

We carry a TT30 extension for the trailer. We have just learned over the years it’s nice to be able to get the trailer back away from the road on some sites.

We don’t carry a 14-50 extension as the trailer is only 30 amp.

We are rarely on 50 amp sites. 30 amp is sufficient for charging for us for the car. A truck battery would be much bigger. Then we might carry a 14-50 cord. Our trailer is just little.

IMG_7064.jpeg

Reactions: posity