Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t update on wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got an update but it’s stuck and won’t download. Keeps saying to connect to WiFi. Here is what I’ve tried:

Soft reboot (two button reset)
Hard reboot (two button with brake held reset)
Full power off w/3 minute wait
Called Tesla and they couldn’t unstick it.

They said they had to send it over to “engineering”.

It just says to connect to WiFi to download the update. It’s connected - the WiFi is only 10 feet away and is lightning fast. Starting to wonder if I should do a full reset by disconnecting the 12v battery, and then the HV battery pack to see if that helps it fully restart. Anyone have any other ideas?

You might try making it connect to an entirely new WiFi. Might help, might not, but probably worth an attempt.

Set up your phone as a WiFi hot spot. Have your car completely forget the WiFi network it's currently connected to, then do a complete restart of the car by using the "Power Off" menu command on the MCU. Once the car has restarted, have it connect to your phone's WiFi. Give it a few hours, and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give they a shot. If that doesn’t work, I may try the complete power disconnection method a try. Will post back when I get some movement on this one way or another.

Why not wait for "engineering" to unstick it, rather than completely disconnecting the power? What about the update do you "have to have" before someone in engineering gets a chance to remotely diagnose it?

The car was in a really botched state. The version that it thought it had, it really didn't. The last update was in a bad state so they had to re-push the current version that the car thought it had over LTE. Then once it updated to the same version it already had, the next update came easily over wifi and it updated without any problems. I think it was just a one-off type of problem as I have been updating very frequently since we got it. <shrug>

• Informative
Reactions: Wennfred