Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t Charge Above 97%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a Tesla patent for SoC estimation (US8004243B2) that SoC is ultimately determined by the open voltage after long rest. Therefore there will be (more) error in estimating SoC when immediately finish charging because it takes time for the battery to depolarize especially in cold temperature.

The SoC may be over-estimated as well (that is, when display 100%, it is still charging), as it happened twice on me). This is also evidenced by one of Kman's videos which the "remain"=78.5 is greater than the "full pack"=78.3
(SoC=remain/full pack)

I'm interested, do your machines continue to not charge up to 100%?
My car, together with the weather warming began to be charged up to 100%, it turns out that the issue of undercharging was in the cold.
But that's what I noticed when reading messages where people notice such a circumstance - a large number of these messages are dated by autumn and winter dates when it's cool. Perhaps this fault is low temperature?
I received 95% on January 24, 2018, when we had a temperature of -9C (16F)

I'm interested, do your machines continue to not charge up to 100%?
My car, together with the weather warming began to be charged up to 100%, it turns out that the issue of undercharging was in the cold.

Same observations here... I originally noticed the issue during this past winter, but just did a full 100% supercharge about a week ago (and its been 80+ degrees here). Charging rates overall are much better too now that the battery is by default already warmed up. (as expected)

Recently I attempted to charge to 100% and it topped out at 190 rated miles and 98% full according to my center screen( charging rate was at 0kW for approx 45min before I unplugged). Tesla said the battery diagnostics came back good but they are still “reviewing” the issue.

Attachments

• 36D0F1CD-F2FC-48E6-9E2F-CE3339B96D3D.jpeg
    36D0F1CD-F2FC-48E6-9E2F-CE3339B96D3D.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 103
Has this problem reoccurred for any of you? And have you got any useful explanation from the service center (apart of "battery diagnostics show that all is good")? This morning I attempted to charge to 100%, but it topped out at 97%. I even unplugged the wall connector and plugged it back in, but the car won't resume charging...

Reactions: camthehombre
The car normally won't start charging if it is within 3% of the limit, though sometimes it seems to screw that up. That might be why it won't start again if you've reached 97%. Hopefully 100% would be a special case. Perhaps charging was interrupted at 97+% originally and it doesn't think it needs to charge now?

Hi guys,

In preparation for Holiday traveling, I set My charge limit to 99% last night. When I woke up this morning at 7am, i found that the car was still charging at 1kw at 97%. This was from an 85% SOC and charging scheduled to start at 3AM. The car sent me the notification that charging had completed at 7:20ish, with SOC still at 97%

It got kind of cold (29f) last night, so I’m wondering if this is normal when charging a cold battery. I called Tesla and they didn’t find anything unusual in the logs, but even when I set the charge limit to 100% it only charged for another 5 minutes or so and then stayed at 97%.

Prior to this, my 100% was 263 miles, so only about 2 miles of degradation. I very rarely (less than once per 6,000 miles or once per month) charge to 100%

Also, my current charging while visiting family for thanksgiving, just for laughs. (Car will just sit here for the next ~32 hours, and I’m well within range of the Atlanta Supercharger)
I have this issue currently. Car often won't charge past 95% and it says charging complete despite the slider being at 100. Service says this is normal....