Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t Decide On A Color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have placed an order on 8/5 and EDD says January now. My order is a blue MYLR 7 seater with black interior. I’m seriously thinking of changing to MSM, but torn because you don’t see many blue ones on the road or at least I don’t.
To all the DBM and MSM owners, why did you choose your color and did you still like it once you took delivery?

We chose blue with white interior. We loved it when we saw blue Teslas driving around, and how that we have one we love it even more. Very happy with our choice. We think the blue with white interior is, how to say it...cool and refreshing. Beautiful.
That’s my favorite combo, too. I had a MSM 3, which was nice, but loved the way blue/white looks

Upvote 0
I have the truck on order but am also considering replacing my (black) 2016 Civic with a Y. I've been dithering about the interior (would love white but I worry a lot about keeping it clean), but I'd say I would say my color prefs are black, then grey, then white. I don't know why, but something about the blue and the red looks cheap to me. No I cannot explain why.

Upvote 0
I see a ton of Model Y cars on the road, on any given day driving around LA. I actually do see a fair amount of blue Model Y cars (and red too), but really don't see that many black ones at all. I also see a good number of MSM, and of course there's a white one on just about every corner on the street.

The blue looks nice, but then black is very close to it in color when it comes to cleanliness and maintenance. One good thing about black, it's a good base color if you decide to wrap to whatever color you like.

Upvote 0
Will take delivery on 9/8. Love Blue with White interior. What’s not to love about it :)

Attachments

• A575E374-B9DA-45D2-9B51-3112F667CC84.png
    A575E374-B9DA-45D2-9B51-3112F667CC84.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,131
Reactions: dwh13
Upvote 0
I have a white MY, and if I had to do it over again, I would have gone blue. Would never do black, and wouldn't pay the premium for red, when the red is a fairly "boring" color red. MSM is so dark that its basically black so that gets a pass too. Blue is actually a fairly "boring" color too, and as @HellsKitchen said, Tesla red and blue seem "cheap", but its because Tesla went with a really safe blue/red color that can be seen on a ton of different entry level cars. But still....would go blue. There are SOOO many white MYs on the road, even with my dark tint, blacked out emblems, aftermarket wheels (replika r241), it just drowns in a sea of white Teslas. I don't appreciate the paint mismatch between metal/plastic either, and due to the no grille front, bugs really stand out on the front of the car with white. I don't drive dirt roads, so the dark blue showing dirt quicker is not as much of a concern than the blue hiding bugs better than the white.
Wish Tesla would bring back a silver color, though...yes...is super boring, but great for maintenance. Either that...or make some flashier blue/red colors!

Upvote 0
I spent a lot of time checking out various color MYs on the road over the past couple months. In general, I decided I preferred Blue to MSM. For me, the biggest differentiator was the rear quarter view (5:00 & 7:00 with 12:00 being the front). A lot of colors just didn't look great to me from that angle.

However, at the end of the day, I just went cheap and got basic white. :oops:

Upvote 0
I only ordered earlier this month so I can't say for sure I'll be happy with my choice. But at first I went with white exterior and black interior because I think it's absurd how much extra they charge for the other options. But about a week later I decided it was just too boring and edited my order to blue and white. Not the most financially responsible choice but if I were really being financially responsible there are much cheaper electric options. But I WANT a Model Y. So I might as well pay the extra to get it the way I want it.

Upvote 0
I went with red + white interior. Not only is it incredibly striking combo in person and in-pictures. But I'd guess its also the rarest combo do the price of the options. Sucks to spend $3000 on what are basically colors.. but I've never gotten more compliments on basically anything. At stoplights, in parking lots, even at the Supercharger.. lots of Tesla owners have told me they should have gotten red to stick out more and just be different now that Tesla's are so common.

Upvote 0
I went with red + white interior. Not only is it incredibly striking combo in person and in-pictures. But I'd guess its also the rarest combo do the price of the options. Sucks to spend $3000 on what are basically colors.. but I've never gotten more compliments on basically anything. At stoplights, in parking lots, even at the Supercharger.. lots of Tesla owners have told me they should have gotten red to stick out more and just be different now that Tesla's are so common.
Couldn't agree more! So many compliments and head turns and so many thumbs up from people. The red with white is just pure amazing. My 2nd choice was Blue with white.

Upvote 0
I initially ordered white. But one weekend, after seeing so many white ones around my area and a smattering of MSM's, I went with my 2nd choice in color (which was a very close second, basically a tie), with the blue with black interior. Called my SA to change it. Dunno if it set me back in the queue but I'm in no hurry.

Upvote 0
I ordered my MY in May (still waiting) and couldn't decide on a color either. Here's how it played out in my mind during the color selection process....

White:
  • No additional upcharge 👍
  • Multi-coated color 👍
  • It's a pearl white, not a basic gloss white 👍
  • It seems like half of all Teslas are white. 👎
Black:
  • Really hard to keep clean (Looks dirty 2 days after washing it) 👎
  • Shows swirl marks easily 👎
  • Very hot to the touch on hot days 👎
  • Not a metallic black (i.e. it's what other manufacturers use as a base black color) 👎
Midnight Silver Metallic:
  • It's not bad... safe neutral color 👍
  • Metallic 👍
  • Goes well with the dark wheels 👍
  • A bit darker than I'd prefer but not bad 👍
Deep Blue Metallic:
  • Not a boring color 👍
  • Metallic 👍
  • 2 out of 3 of my current cars are Blue and I really like Blue cars 👍
  • But Tesla Blue is a dark blue.. and not electrifying like the blues on my other cars 👎
Red Multi Coat:
  • Not really a fan of red cars except if I were buying an exotic sports car like a lambo or ferrari 👎
  • I do like the Tesla red though. 👍

I ended up going with the Blue on white... but the more I see Blue Teslas on the road, the more I'm wishing I had gone with the MSM color because depending on the time of day, whether there's overcast or clear skies, the angle from the sun, etc., the Blue can look quite dark (except in bright daylight with no overcast)... almost midnight-blue looking.

Bottom line: I really wish Tesla had BMW or Porsche's color pallette.

Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
I ordered my MY in May (still waiting) and couldn't decide on a color either. Here's how it played out in my mind during the color selection process....

Bottom line: I really wish Tesla had BMW or Porsche's color pallette.

Buy the white and spend the $1K saved on wrapping it? I know I considered that as another possibility before I just decided to keep it simple.

Upvote 0
I ended up choosing MSM. Three reasons:
  1. Beautiful but does not stand out
    (I'm not getting a Tesla to show off - The Red/Blue/White are the most attention grabbing colors - in that order IMO)
  2. The color works well with both silver and black wheels
  3. We have several cars in a similar dark metallic and we do like it.

Other pros of the MSM according to what I have read:
- Hides dirt the best

Upvote 0
Buy the white and spend the $1K saved on wrapping it? I know I considered that as another possibility before I just decided to keep it simple.
Ditto. I was planning to buy the white and then go with a vinyl wrap to change the color as well but the $4,500+ for a custom color seemed a bit high for a color option so decided just to give in and get a tesla color.

Reactions: timeshifter
Upvote 0