Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t explain this...low tire pressure warning message but PSI number is same as other tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting. I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Same tire too: rear driver side. Checked twice and they were at first all actually much higher than TPMS said, but rear driver was lowest. Drove for a week or so, and noticed that particular tire’s pressures drifting down again. checked for the third time and found the numbers now matched with TPMS (with rear driver tire actually low). Now it’s been like 3 weeks and I’ve been watching numbers really closely and found that the rear driver tire looks to have a slow leak. Currently getting it checked. Was weird that TPMS was misreading most of the time. But for 3 weeks with a consistently low read (that improved with extra air but then went down again), I’m convinced someone needs to look at that tire. Will know shortly!

Individual receiver for each wheel, with some basic logic regarding received signal strength, presumably. It figures it out. When you put on a new set of tires with new TPMS you don't have to do anything - you just slap them on and after a few minutes it comes up and tells you all the pressures (well, it detects a new set of wheels, and you do the TPMS reset, and then it is good).
I found out yesterday from a Tesla mobile tech how the system knows where each sensor is after rotating tires. Each sensor emits a signal which is received by an antenna in each wheel well. When tires are rotated, the wheel well receivers read the strongest signal and send data to display software as coming from that location.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life