Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t get dashcam to work (SSD or Tesla Thumb Drive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
picked up my 2021 model 3, LR AWD. I previously owned a model Y and earlier build model 3, so I’m very familiar with Tesla and dash cam.

In the 2021, I can not get the dashcam to work. I have tried formatting the usb through the menu, I have unplugged and replugged, and restarted.

I am currently using a 250gb Samsung SSD (which is what I used on my two previous Tesla’s without issue). The problem existed even with the new thumb drive Tesla provides in the car.

Any solutions out there?

I don't have a solution for you, but it might be helpful to explain what it's doing/not doing. Does the camera icon show up? Does it have a Red recording dot? grey X? Does it appear to be working but not saving?

FWIW, the holiday update SW we got messed up my dashcam and I failed to notice the icon was no longer showing up on the screen until we were on a road trip. I tried the usual unplug/replug, then formatted the drive, which brought back the dashcam icon on the screen, but with a grey X on it. Finally I rebooted the system and it all started working again.

If it's a brand new car you might try putting some music files on one of the drives (with nothing else on there) and see if the car sees and plays them. If not, you might have a borked usb interface card, which tesla can replace for you.

Also, check the drive in a computer after formatting it in the car. One of the times I tried formatting it in the car it did manage to format it properly, but somehow forgot to add the TeslaCam folder - once I added that it worked fine.

I need to check my camera. I can see the little camera with a red dot. I've seen videos that if you hold the button for a second or so it records the last 10 seconds, but haven't tried it. My wife also activated the horn thing, but we don't know what it does (need to look for it in the manual, since I don't remember seeing that). But my question is if you can delete footage from the car, or have to take the USB stick out, and do it on your computer? Hope it's a USB-A stick, because my computer doesn't have a C drive. Will look for an adapter. My music USB stick is also A. What a pain Tesla didn't include even one USB-A port. Oh well.

I have reformatted the drive on both my computer and inside the car. I can now get the icon to show up but it’s completely grey (no red dot or X).

however, I did press and hold the icon which got the red dot to show up. However it seems like each time I get in the vehicle the icon goes back to completely grey. Then it’s hit or miss when I press & hold the icon if it goes back to having the red dot.

there is minimal consistency.

As much as it sucks, it is comforting knowing its software related. I have an upcoming SC appointment to fix some delivery day items, Ill be sure to include this just in case/make one more case known so they can push a fix.

Thanks!
Did you ever get this resolved? My 2021 Model 3 is doing the exact same thing.
the ONLY time I get a dashcam icon with red dot is when it is parked and goes into sentry mode (at which point both the sentry mode with red dot and the dashcam with red dot icons appear). I am using the 128GB USB that came with the car.
When I put the car into reverse or drive, it goes from dashcam-red-dot to dashcam-no-red-dot.
I can never get a dashcam with red dot when driving and never see it in the list of files on the viewer.
I even stopped by a SC and a tech came out, super nice, but he said he's never seen it do that. We walked inside to cars he's working on, same software version, etc. and it worked on those cars. He sent my tesla the software again to install but to no avail, still doesn't work.
Thanks.