Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t log into Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all I got my MYP last week and I’m trying to log into Spotify and it keeps saying that it’s unable to log in. I can log in fine on browser and I even changed the password and that didn’t work. I reset the car and still no dice. What else can I try?

I, too, was unable to log in to Spotify with my email + password when I first got the car. But I've successfully signed in with the User Name + password instead. You can find your User Name in your Profile under Account (a combination of letters & numbers), give it a try.

Reactions: TheWB
Yes but that would require using your phone's data plan to stream the Spotify music content. If you are signed up for Tesla Premium Connectivity you can stream Spotify music using the Tesla vehicle's LTE connection with no additional charges.

Sure it would. Most plans are mostly unlimited use. The OP's question was how to use Spotify's free service, which in not supported in Tesla's, AFAIK. BT'ing free Spotify's from a phone would be one work-around. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and free Spotify somehow does work in Tesla multimedia.

and free Spotify somehow does work in Tesla multimedia.
This last statement confused me. Either the Tesla built-in Spotify app works with Spotify Free or it doesn't. Which is it? Most information available is that a Spotify Premium account is required to use Tesla built-in Spotify app. I have a Spotify Premium account so I can use Spotify Premium on my phone and also using the built-in Tesla app. I have tried streaming the Phone audio via BT to the Tesla but found that the quality of the audio was better with the built-in Tesla app.

I have also tried listening to Spotify by logging in my Spotify Premium account via the Amazon Alexa phone app and the Alexa Spotify skill. (I did this because of the hands free user experience of the Amazon Alexa app with the Alexa Auto Bluetooth enabled microphone array.) Sometimes the content of the Amazon Alexa skill version of Spotify, for a given artist, did not match the content of the Spotify Premium account as on my phone and in the Tesla.

We had this issue with my wife's Spotify account. We finally got it working. I don't think this will be the same as everyone's issues, but I thought it would be great to share.

"Sign up to Spotify with Facebook" caused our issue/confusion.

Long story short, my wife ended up having two Spotify accounts linked to the same email address. The family premium account she had signed up with the Facebook option, this used her email as a contact, but her username was a bunch of numbers (we assumed the username would be her email address).

At some point, she tried to sign in to Spotify on a new device via her email address, which mistakenly set up a new free account using her email address as the username. So both accounts use the same email address in the "email address field," but the username is different.

In the Tesla, we tried to sign in to the FREE Spotify account, which did not work. Once we worked out the issue with signing up to Spotify using the facebook credentials and finding out the actual username, we could log in to the Premium account.

Hope this helps.

I was able to login with free Spotify account until recent Tesla software upgrade. So now I need to subscribe to Tesla connectivity and Spotify
(In addition to the premium Pandora and Sirius/XM accounts that I already have but can’t listen to in the car except through Bluetooth). WTF?