Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t PPF the whole car, what is the bare minimum to get done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I recently got the car delivered and I’m looking to get PPF. I was wondering what is the bare minimum to get done in terms of most impacted spots?

I don’t want to pay more than $2,500 in Seattle area for protection. So just want the most impacted spots.

Thinking of doing full front PPF. Is that enough? Too much? Or should I also add on rocker panels? And other parts of the car as well?

Also is it okay to get PPF right away (got car delivered a few days ago) or does the paint have to settle for a few weeks before doing PPF?

I’m also considering in a year getting a vinyl wrap, can you do that over PPF?

Last edited:
What is dogleg?
It's that little bit between the front of the rear wheel, and the rear doors. It usually tapers out. You used to see little black patches on that part of a Porsche 911. It's called a dogleg. On the Tesla, it tapers out just enough to catch dirt thrown up by the front tires. When you PPF the rockers, you should also PPF that little bit called the dogleg.

Ok, found a pic:
IMG_0171-1.jpg

Oh ok. So full frontal + rockers would be good enough?
No one calls them rockers. It is the rear door quarters. You can get the Tesla protection kit that includes the rear door quarter film or you can buy it from Amazon for 40. Or you can just have your PPF installer make one. On Porsches it's actually called Rock Guards, Chip Guards but they are actually materially different from PPF, more like skateboard grip tape.

Has anyone here actually done a whole car as a DIY?
I vaguely recall that someone did, you can probably search for it on this site. They used the large sheets or rolls of film. I used DIY precut pieces. I did a partial hood, front fender, front bumper, doors, rockers. I suppose if I'd done the rear quarter panel, rear bumper and trunk, and A-pillar, I would have done the whole thing.

3M Scotchguard Pro partial front kit (half the hood) off Ebay, watch videos and get a quality pump sprayer, large and small semihard squeegees, church picnic table, and the 3M installer PPF gel (stays wet much longer, isopropyl alcohol based). It will cost you 10x less than one of those fancy pants 3day 3 grand scalper jobs. My Model S job wore off after about 5 years of rural road abuse, so I DYI'd it and went extremely well. I also have two Subarus and a Honda under my belt since then.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC