Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t remove charge cable!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try locking the car, if you use your phone as the key walk out of range for a few seconds so it disconnects. Then unlock and use the "release charging cable" button on the charging screen. If it doesn't work first time, do a soft reboot by holding down both scroll wheels until the screen reboots & try again. This has worked for me when the cable wouldn't release.

Sorry if stating obvious things to try: Make sure charging is stopped (in the car charge menu or through the phone app). Are you at a public charge point (and if so, which type) or is this at a home charge point? As others have suggested, try a car reboot (hold both buttons in on the steering wheel until screen goes out and keep holding until the Tesla logo comes on the screen and then release the buttons).

Yes it is a pod point charger! Have you had similar issues?!
Yep. The connector that PodPoint uses has a tendency to jam on the Model 3/Y.

To release, try pushing the plug in and towards the left or right while simultaneously hitting the "release" button on the app. You can file a little bit more plastic out of the connector hole once you get it out, but I actually found that some carefully applied silicone spray did the trick. Don't spray directly onto the connector, silicone is an insulator.

I've had my charge port replaced twice now within 11 months, first time for the port door not opening, a day or two after picking the car up and just a few weeks ago for the plug not being able to released. It started intermittently and after a few charge cycles, it simply wouldn't release unless I used the parachute cord.

Technique that worked for me was to pull the parachute cord and then remove the plug while still pulling on the cord. Do not pull the plug before pulling the cord and this risks damaging the already broken charge port 😂

Just cheaply made...

Yep. The connector that PodPoint uses has a tendency to jam on the Model 3/Y.

To release, try pushing the plug in and towards the left or right while simultaneously hitting the "release" button on the app. You can file a little bit more plastic out of the connector hole once you get it out, but I actually found that some carefully applied silicone spray did the trick. Don't spray directly onto the connector, silicone is an insulator.
This is really interesting and ties in with my experience this morning.
When I finally got through to tesla he ran me through all the usual checks which I had already done, none of which worked. He then suggested exactly what you've just suggested - pushing the cable in whilst simultaneously pressing the unlock button on the app, then pulling to release, and it worked first time! Could be a coincidence, but seems like maybe this is a podpoint issue.
So did you apply silicone spray directly onto the "plastic" parts of the cable head, obviously avoiding the connector areas!
Thanks again

I've had my charge port replaced twice now within 11 months, first time for the port door not opening, a day or two after picking the car up and just a few weeks ago for the plug not being able to released. It started intermittently and after a few charge cycles, it simply wouldn't release unless I used the parachute cord.

Technique that worked for me was to pull the parachute cord and then remove the plug while still pulling on the cord. Do not pull the plug before pulling the cord and this risks damaging the already broken charge port 😂

Just cheaply made...So my main issue

Just cheaply made...
So one of my main issues this morning was that my manual cable release chord doesnt do anything! I think I either have a faulty cable or its broken somehow, even though Ive never used it before! I've now got a service appointment to have it checked. So in "normal" circumstances this should have solved my problem, i think!