Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t set FSD Without it rocketing up to the speed limit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the problem. We have full FSD beta. If I want to engage FSD but at a slower speed than the speed limit, I can’t. As soon as I engage FSD it rockets up to whatever the speed limit is and I have to furiously use the little wheel to slow it down.

Any suggestions? I have tried every setting in the menu.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the problem. We have full FSD beta. If I want to engage FSD but at a slower speed than the speed limit, I can’t. As soon as I engage FSD it rockets up to whatever the speed limit is and I have to furiously use the little wheel to slow it down.

Any suggestions? I have tried every setting in the menu.

Thanks in advance.
Keep your foot on the accelerator as you engage FSD - if you do this, you'll override FSD's acceleration but FSD will still be engaged for steering and navigation. While keeping your foot on the pedal, use the right scroll wheel to manually adjust your set speed. Once you have it where you like it, let go of the accelerator and let FSD take over. I do this in my residential neighborhood where FSD wants to go 30 MPH - WAY too fast!

If you're on Model 3 or Y, tapping on the speedometer should set the max speed to your current speed when Autopilot is engaged.
Will try that. Thank you.
Keep your foot on the accelerator as you engage FSD - if you do this, you'll override FSD's acceleration but FSD will still be engaged for steering and navigation. While keeping your foot on the pedal, use the right scroll wheel to manually adjust your set speed. Once you have it where you like it, let go of the accelerator and let FSD take over. I do this in my residential neighborhood where FSD wants to go 30 MPH - WAY too fast!
I will try that tomorrow. Thank you.

This worked. Thank you. Yudaman.
If you consistently want to do this you can also set speed offsets in the autopilot settings. Probably not what you want, but an option, anyway.

The accelerator trick will work, though I find that feature to be annoying most of the time since I am constantly pushing the accelerator when using FSD, but it definitely will help you here.

On my way home there is a portion of a 30 mph road that the Tesla thinks is 45 mph. Like the OP, I've been furiously using the thumb wheel to slow down. I will try the two tricks posted here.

I hope that someday I will be able to teach my car about speed limits and my preferred routes. I realize Tesla is going all out now on FSD so it might take a while for such useful niceties to be implemented.

Reactions: VanFriscia
The foot on the accelerator trick was not much help in my particular situation but touching the speedometer to set the max speed to the current speed worked great!

In my case I'm leaving a highway using the breakdown lane as an exit lane and then making a sharp right turn onto a much slower road. It's hard to see around the corner so I try to make sure there's no bicyclist headed toward me on the wrong side of the road.

I have had FSD beta for many months now, and I think a recent change occurred to my car, which did not coincide with any software update. With FSD beta enabled, I can no longer have the autopilot set speed configured to current speed. It is set to speed limit, and I cannot change it. If I disable FSD beta, this option becomes configurable again. Anyone else experiencing this?
097424FB-1A93-4144-8F8B-A770E90249B1.jpeg

I have had FSD beta for many months now, and I think a recent change occurred to my car, which did not coincide with any software update. With FSD beta enabled, I can no longer have the autopilot set speed configured to current speed. It is set to speed limit, and I cannot change it. If I disable FSD beta, this option becomes configurable again. Anyone else experiencing this?View attachment 824296
YES! I have the same problem and its frustrating! Set Speed seems to work while using TACC but not FSD. I'm testing using "Relative speed" (10 MPH over the speed limit) to see if this will work for me.

I also have the same problem with AP changing speeds inappropriately after getting FSD. AP speeds up to 75mph even in dangerous construction zones. ...and it'll slow to 60mph even when the flow of traffic is 80mph. It's infuriating on a long trip with a lot of speed limit changes. Why can't it just stay at my current speed like it used to and adjust when I tell it to? So annoying! I'm hoping that with the cancellation of FSD, it'll go back the way it was.

Last edited:
I also have the same problem with AP changing speeds inappropriately after getting FSD. AP speeds up to 75mph even in dangerous construction zones. ...and it'll slow to 60mph even when the flow of traffic is 80mph. It's infuriating on a long trip with a lot of speed limit changes. Why can't it just stay at my current speed like it used to and adjust when I tell it to? So annoying!
One of the functions of FSD is to automatically modify your speed as the car detects new speed limits. If it did not do that, most FSD owners would complain mightily.

However, the car does not always detect a posted speed limit. This is often the case with temporary signs, like those put up by construction crews. The signs may not conform to the 'standard' speed limit sign closely enough for the impage processing in the car to recognize the sign. In such cases, you , as the driver, are responsible for adjusting the max speed manually, or taking over control. A well-known limitation is that FSDb does not recognize school zone speed limits. Same applies. The driver must intervene for these at the present time.

Reactions: Dewg
One of the functions of FSD is to automatically modify your speed as the car detects new speed limits. If it did not do that, most FSD owners would complain mightily.

However, the car does not always detect a posted speed limit. This is often the case with temporary signs, like those put up by construction crews. The signs may not conform to the 'standard' speed limit sign closely enough for the impage processing in the car to recognize the sign. In such cases, you , as the driver, are responsible for adjusting the max speed manually, or taking over control. A well-known limitation is that FSDb does not recognize school zone speed limits. Same applies. The driver must intervene for these at the present time.
Duh.

My complaint is not that it adjusts speeds. My complaint is that it adjusts speed inappropriately. If I'm going to have fiddle with and drive the car anyway, that defeats the purpose of FSD, and instead of reacting angrily when the car does something wrong that I don't want it to, I'd rather it just follow my command until I tell it to change. This is my complaint with FSD. Yes, following speed limit signs is great, but there's more to driving that just following a black and white rule. That's why I'm waiting for the quality of FSD to improve before I pay $15,000 for it.

Duh.

My complaint is not that it adjusts speeds. My complaint is that it adjusts speed inappropriately. If I'm going to have fiddle with and drive the car anyway, that defeats the purpose of FSD, and instead of reacting angrily when the car does something wrong that I don't want it to, I'd rather it just follow my command until I tell it to change. This is my complaint with FSD. Yes, following speed limit signs is great, but there's more to driving that just following a black and white rule. That's why I'm waiting for the quality of FSD to improve before I pay $15,000 for it.
Oh, I see now. Your complaint is that the car is following the speed limits. I had, of course, assumed it was the opposite. You want a car that will decide to drive 20 mph over the posted speed limit (your scenario of the car slowing to 60 when other traffic is doing 80) all on it's own? In many jurisdictions, that would be called reckless driving. I think that this could be a problem for Tesla should they implement it. After all, they got in trouble for letting the car roll stop sign under certain very limited conditions.

But fear not. You likely will never have to pay $15K for FSD. I expect both subscription and purchase will be increasing after FSDb is released to all FSD licensees.

• Funny
Reactions: nvx1977
Duh.

I totally get where you're coming from, but I think you'll be disappointed. I don't think the system will ever allow the driver to just set a speed and the system stays there until you change it (like the old cruise control).

Here is what I've found:

1) Enable AP, and the speed will be whatever the speed limit is, or if you're driving over the speed limit, your current speed.
2) Adjust the speed to whatever you'd like it to be using the wheel
3) The next speed limit sign it finds, it will likely adjust the speed to that speed limit. Adjust the wheel again to what speed limit you'd like
4) The car will maintain that speed, even if it finds a new speed limit sign (with a catch)

There is one catch - there appears to be some set timeframe in the code, where the car will maintain your set speed as long as you stay on the same road, and it keeps seeing speed limit signs with regularity. If it doesn't see a speed limit sign for some period of time, then it will adjust the limit the next time it sees a sign. In SoCal, speed limit signs on some of the freeways are sparce for some reason. There are a few stretches were there are no speed limit signs for 15-20 miles, so when the car finds its next one, it may adjust speed back to that sign's limit.

Another caveat is construction zones. Be very aware when in construction zones, especially ones that create a new traffic pattern by shifting lanes. Tesla does not operate on visual alone and does take map data into account. If you watch carefully on your map, you may find that the car suddenly appears off the freeway/highway when the lanes shift for construction. The car thinks, via GPS, that it's now on a side street instead of the freeway, and that side street has a speed limit of 45MPH, so the car will suddenly begin braking. When you feel that braking, check the speed limit displayed, and you may find it's showing 45MPH instead of 65MPH or whatever the limit on your freeway. Whenever I see the lanes shifting due to construction, I either disengage AP through it, or watch the speed limit like a hawk and prepare to wheel up in the event the car adjusts the speed.

If this all sounds too much for you, as I said previously, you will likely be disappointed. ADAS and AV laws are very new, and regulators are slow to catch up to the dizzying pace that technology is moving. I think it's very likely that regulators will ultimately publish requirements that cars with advanced hands-off ADAS (L2+ and L3) will be required to travel at the posted speed limit. It may be why Tesla's can be overridden by the driver, but eventually lock back to the posted speed limit, especially if they're changing roads (one freeway to another or entering/exiting the freeway).

Oh, I see now. You want a car that will decide to drive 20 mph over the posted speed limit (your scenario of the car slowing to 60 when other traffic is doing 80) all on it's own? In many jurisdictions, that would be called reckless driving.
Yep. I want a complete MadMax Tesla to drive at max the entire time, damn the laws!!!!

...or... I don't want a car to slam on the brakes to get to 60mph and risk me getting rear ended just because the speed limit changed. Or as I mentioned on the flip side, I don't want the car to rocket to 80mph in a tight construction zone just because that speed limit changed. In many jurisdictions, THAT would be called reckless driving also, but AP does it. If you don't see my concern there, I don't know what else to say.

If this all sounds too much for you, as I said previously, you will likely be disappointed.
You're speaking as if I don't understand all this already. I do. AP/FSD is functional. My argument is that it could be better and I'm waiting for it to be better. Unless you are stating that the system is perfect now and will never improve, I'm not sure what the argument is here.

Yep. I want a complete MadMax Tesla to drive at max the entire time, damn the laws!!!!

...or... I don't want a car to slam on the brakes to get to 60mph and risk me getting rear ended just because the speed limit changed. Or as I mentioned on the flip side, I don't want the car to rocket to 80mph in a tight construction zone just because that speed limit changed. In many jurisdictions, THAT would be called reckless driving also, but AP does it. If you don't see my concern there, I don't know what else to say.
That behavior will likely change. AP code, which is older, has a pretty rapid change in speed when it does alter it. FSD Beta, on the other hand, was the opposite, much to many people's dismay, and would slow down to a new lower limit at a glacial pace. Once V11 single-stack is released, and FSD code takes over AP functions, I think we'll see a more balanced slow down when speed limits change instead of the butt-clenching braking we have today.

Or as I mentioned on the flip side, I don't want the car to rocket to 80mph in a tight construction zone just because that speed limit changed.
This has me concerned. Is there a speed limit sign in the construction zone that's 80MPH? Where I'm at in California, construction zones have temporary speed limit signs placed (usually 55MPH on freeways) very frequently throughout the zone. If there is an existing 65MPH speed limit sign in the zone, that sign is covered up either with black plastic or the temporary 55MPH sign.

If your zones don't necessarily do this, and there are 80MPH speed limit signs in those zones, I would disengage AP through those zones, or watch the limit carefully and adjust.