Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t sign in to Tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jude, sounds like car side problem. Could be Remote access is off. Is it in for service? They usually remember that they want it off, so they usually turn remote access off. (So we can't honk the horn and turn the lights on/off.)

Maybe reboot or shutdown and bring car back up as if to drive it. Maybe that's not possible, but I have no problem connecting to mine.

Its not clear to me from your initial post. Did you sign in successfully before? You have been in before and accessed your car?

• Helpful
Reactions: judePIT
jude, sounds like car side problem. Could be Remote access is off. Is it in for service? They usually remember that they want it off, so they usually turn remote access off. (So we can't honk the horn and turn the lights on/off.)

Maybe reboot or shutdown and bring car back up as if to drive it. Maybe that's not possible, but I have no problem connecting to mine.

Its not clear to me from your initial post. Did you sign in successfully before? You have been in before and accessed your car?

Thanks for the reply. Remote access is definitely turned on. It's not in for service, just sitting in my garage connected to wifi (yes, I tried disconnecting wifi also). I've had my car for 4 months and this is the first time the app won't work. I tried reinstalling the app and also rebooting the car by holding both steering wheel buttons. My P3D is currently on 2019.40.50.7 and the app is the most recent version as well. Also, my wife is unable to connect to my car via her phone as well.

Okay, that's useful feedback. Thanks. So, - nearly any time time both of you can't get in, its not the app itself. The chances of something wrong with both phones and the app on both phones is so remote, - its not the app. And since you know and can get inside the car, know remote access is on, so that's not it. Ruling out those primary things its likely Tesla servers. Which means there's nothing you can do until someone at mothership fixes it.

Recently Tesla has turned off Premium connectivity for owners that they deem the "time is up". And those folks have to sign up for a monthly fee to restore same service. Yours does not sound like that, but still worth checking. You can look under your online account, > manager > view details. What does it say for Connectivity? Same as last week, then this also is not the issue.

When this same problem happens again, you can come to the forum and see if an owner has recently posted a thread asking if anyone is having a problem (like you did, then just sit back and wait for others.) IF anyone notices they can't, they will usually come report. In the meantime, someone at Tesla will notice the server issue and fix it. May not sound like the best system, but that's generally how its been for the past 7ish years since we had remote access.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Is anyone else having trouble signing into the Tesla app. My app keeps saying vehicle connection error. I tried deleting the app, reinstalling it and signing in again. Nothing seems to help.
This has happened to me as well. I have spots in my house where bluetooth and wifi signals are weak, the app rarely works near my garage and kitchen. But when i go to one of the bedrooms or living rooms, the error is gone and I can access the app as normal

I don't know how tesla does it, but we can guess.

one of the tricks in low power management is to go into 'sleep modes' and have only some external events wake you up. in sleep modes, you run in lower power and even turn off some systems. wifi and data cellular are things that you want to turn off when in sleep modes. but, most cell modems can receive an sms ('text') and that can trigger a wake-up. again, I don't know 100% if tesla does this, but I suspect they do, as its an industry standard trick.

one company I was at used this trick to wake up 'sleeping' cell phones. the phones would run a special app that would listen for an sms and if it got the right formated one, it would call in and 'do stuff', at that point, NOT in low power mode anymore. point was- keep the system as long as you can in low power/sleep modes and only do high-power stuff in busts, then go back to sleep again.

we depended on sending and the phones getting, the sms. and often, it didn't get there.

we had a paid service provider, a big one, send sms based on an api that we called. and we found that we had a high loss (not sent or not received) rate.

sms is just NOT reliable. it has to be resent and you don't know unless the system sends some other ACK, out of band, to stop the sms'ing.

long story short (finally!) - there are lots of places that the wake-up can get dropped. if the car is still asleep, it won't 'ungrey' in the phone app and from your phone - thru the net - to your car - that's a lot of 'hops'.

we want low power modes and this is one of the side-effects of trying to be as sleepful as possible (on the car).

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Is anyone else having trouble signing into the Tesla app. My app keeps saying vehicle connection error. I tried deleting the app, reinstalling it and signing in again. Nothing seems to help.
Same here. I am searching many posts from this forum.
I guess the car is deep sleep.... Because I only can access from my phone if I stay in car. But actually is useless of the APP.....

I had the exact same situation with our Model S. The app would not connect. Curiously however, it would connect to the Model 3.

I deleted and reinstalled the app on my phone. Nuttin'.

I resorted to emailing Tesla; lo and behold, I received a reply about two days later. The correspondent noted that I had not rebooted the Model S in many months. I was told to reboot both the soft method and the power off method. I did as I was instructed.

That fixed the problem.

I guess we need to reboot our cars periodically if we do not receive regular software updates which I assume will reboot the car during the installation process.

Reactions: Airgetlam
"Hey, Jude, don't make it bad,
Quit the phone app, and try it later."

(sorry) ;)

Hey, Jude, don't make it bad,
Quit the phone app, and try it later.
Bad wifi? It's better to switch that thing off,
Then you begin, to make it better.

Hey, Jude. Don't blame your car,
If your coverage is less than stellar.
Remember to let it get the new code,
Then you can start to make it better.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
I had the exact same situation with our Model S. The app would not connect. Curiously however, it would connect to the Model 3.

I deleted and reinstalled the app on my phone. Nuttin'.

I resorted to emailing Tesla; lo and behold, I received a reply about two days later. The correspondent noted that I had not rebooted the Model S in many months. I was told to reboot both the soft method and the power off method. I did as I was instructed.

That fixed the problem.

I guess we need to reboot our cars periodically if we do not receive regular software updates which I assume will reboot the car during the installation process.

Hi guys, I have solved the problem!!!

Failure method:
- Reboot the car, fail.
- Android APP, just "clear all data" and re-sign-in, fail.

Success to connect:
- Uninstall the APP. Re-install the APP. Then OK right now. (I have try to connect sometimes, all success.)

Hi,
Heppened to me today. Up until now for a year I was able to log and use the app successfully. This morning I was asked for some reason to log again. Used the same email and password but was not recognized. However when I log to my account (website), there was no issue. I reset the password and unistalled/installed the app. NO SUCCESS...Help anyone?

I just ran into the problem logging in to my Tesla app on my Pixel 3 phone. It was telling me the password was incorrect. I tried resetting it several times, but it would not take the new password I had just created. Oddly, I could login to the web site from my laptop with no problem. I tried restarting my phone, but did not help. Finally I saw on this thread that Jude got past the problem by uninstalling and re-installing the app. I did so, and that solved the problem for me as well. :)
It was really a pain. I was having to use the key card to drive the car.

I just ran into the problem logging in to my Tesla app on my Pixel 3 phone. It was telling me the password was incorrect. I tried resetting it several times, but it would not take the new password I had just created. Oddly, I could login to the web site from my laptop with no problem. I tried restarting my phone, but did not help. Finally I saw on this thread that Jude got past the problem by uninstalling and re-installing the app. I did so, and that solved the problem for me as well. :)
It was really a pain. I was having to use the key card to drive the car.
Just had the same problem. Your fix worked. Fortunately, I was at home when it happened. If I'd been in a parking lot somewhere in the middle of a blizzard, I'd be really irritated. That's why I bought a key fob for my Model 3 and use it almost always.

For users who have had secondary phone access issues to your Tesla:
So found out one very important thing in Tesla’s last update was disabling 2nd phone access to the Tesla, so the primary owner now has to grant access to any secondary Tesla users before the secondary user can access the Tesla again.
This was a very important update with no email communication from Tesla about disabling every secondary Tesla users access when secondary user had independent access through same Tesla email account as primary.
Was glad to get the secondary phone access issue resolved, but this is a pretty rude thing to do to all secondary users of this type all of a sudden. Had to get on chat with Tesla tech support a 2nd time before they could tell me about the security update for secondary Tesla users.