Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t stop charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am on the latest firmware as of this morning. I was charging it tonight. I was unable to stop the charging via the app (even tried a 3rd party app I have to also control the car and didn’t work).

I then went in the car and tried to hit the stop charging and it didn’t even react to me hitting the button at all, no change. Only way to get it to stop charging was lower the charge limit to below current charge level and I full expect I could also just remove the charger handle.

never had this happen before but also on 2019.36.2.1 and maybe something going on

Reactions: FalconFour
I had some weird stuff happen at a supercharger today. Just got 2019.36.2.1 last night.

In the middle of charging, charging stopped for no apparent reason. I hit start charging on the screen and in a moment charging started. Then a minute or so later, charging stopped. Then I hear clicking, charge port unlocked, charge port locked, charge port unlocked, back and forth. I hit stop charging and unlock charge port on the screen. Got out of the car, took out the charging cable, put it back in. Charging started and proceeded normally and for the rest of the session it was okay.

Nothing like that has ever happened before. Weird.

So I am on the latest firmware as of this morning. I was charging it tonight. I was unable to stop the charging via the app (even tried a 3rd party app I have to also control the car and didn’t work).

I then went in the car and tried to hit the stop charging and it didn’t even react to me hitting the button at all, no change. Only way to get it to stop charging was lower the charge limit to below current charge level and I full expect I could also just remove the charger handle.

never had this happen before but also on 2019.36.2.1 and maybe something going on

I just had the same experience. I could not stop within the car or app. Finally got out of car and stopped via charger handle.

Edit add. Had charging scheduled. Also noticed car randomly starting to charge. Only or a second once each hour. Have third party app from power co that shows the spikes. Matches to the garage cam light. Yes on reboot. Always do

Last edited:
As usual gotta ask. Did you reboot? This sort of issue after a new firmware is usually fixed by a reboot. And posting without saying you already tried rebooting....

No problems on my car with that release btw.

Oh man, I usually do a reboot but in my excitement to head out and drive this morning after the update, I didn't. And I forgot about it. Wonder if Joleary did? I need to do a reboot...

Reactions: boaterva
So I replugged in this morning to charge and can product same result. I hit stop from iPhone app, it says it stopped and within 15 seconds the apps showing charging again. Happens with the 3rd party “Tesla remote” app as well as Tesla’s app.

I can however turn on and off climate and other things without issue.

In case anyone seeing the same results. I narrowed it down to scheduled departure feature. I had scheduled departure set to a weekday morning departure. Whenever I plug in my car yesterday and today since enabling the feature when I plug in the car immediately starts charging. When it’s doing this charging I can’t turn off charging via car or app. I have to turn scheduled charging off and then back on in order to get it to actually do what it’s suppose to. However unplugging the charger and plugging back in starts the entire cycle over again.

scheduled departure on my raven p100D is definitely got some issues / bug right now.

yes I restarted entire car again and same behavior

encourage someone else to turn on scheduled Dept for weekdays and set time for the morning. Then plug in your car and does it just start charging and you can’t stop it via phone up or in the car hitting stop charge button ?

I have also recently been confronted by the problem if not being able to stop the Tesla S from charging from my phone app( recently updated) nor on the screen on the car.
I rebooted the car again today and tried to stop chatging on the phone app and on the screen in the car - no success.
Also noted that I can now open charge port and insert charging plug without unlocking vehicle.
Is this problem “fixable” over the web??

I have also recently been confronted by the problem if not being able to stop the Tesla S from charging from my phone app( recently updated) nor on the screen on the car.
I rebooted the car again today and tried to stop chatging on the phone app and on the screen in the car - no success.
Also noted that I can now open charge port and insert charging plug without unlocking vehicle.
Is this problem “fixable” over the web??

Is there a solution to this problem?

It has always been possible to open the port and insert charger without unlocking the car. Pressing UMC button (and probably on Supercharger as well) opens and enables the port. Of course, you cannot remove a charger without unlocking the car first.

Found this thread via a Google. Same issue here but with my RWD LR 3. The "stop charging" button does nothing, and the "start charging" button (typically found in the case of an EVSE issue) also does nothing. It's understandable that "start" might not do anything (though some UI feedback would be appropriate), but to have "stop charging" not work neither in the app nor on-screen is just a tad insane.

I'm not using any schedules at all, neither for scheduled departure nor scheduled charging, though I do frequently tweak the amperage both at the EVSE and in the car.

While we're on the subject of charging, it's another good time to bring up that the charging port lights turn off when you walk away, leaving people unable to see your car's still charging at a public station, and a "public charging mode" would be super great that leaves the port lights and screen turned on, while still being able to lock the car. <3