Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t stop charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'd think, yet over the years I've ran into it a few times where the MCU showed weird issues after an upgrade but a thumb-wheel reboot fixed it.
It’s entirely possible a second reboot might have an effect, but I am skeptical.

when software is downloaded, it is alternatively staged and written to different partitions. Only once the installation is complete is the boot loader updated and the system boots to the new software.

im just trying to get people to stop spreading the myth that a reboot is necessary after an update.

It’s entirely possible a second reboot might have an effect, but I am skeptical.

when software is downloaded, it is alternatively staged and written to different partitions. Only once the installation is complete is the boot loader updated and the system boots to the new software.

im just trying to get people to stop spreading the myth that a reboot is necessary after an update.
It is very likely that the update only performs a soft reset (sometimes referred to as warm reboot), while the thumb-wheel reset is a hardware reset (which it has to be in order to work when the MCU hangs). Warm reboot usually only restarts the software stack, but since it doesn't actually use the hardware reset line, the hardware is in a different state (hardware registers are not reset unless software explicitly does that). In an ideal world software initializes hardware regardless of starting state, but in a real world it doesn't always happen there can be warm-boot side effects.

So, there may actually be something to manually rebooting after an update.

It is very likely that the update only performs a soft reset (sometimes referred to as warm reboot), while the thumb-wheel reset is a hardware reset (which it has to be in order to work when the MCU hangs). Warm reboot usually only restarts the software stack, but since it doesn't actually use the hardware reset line, the hardware is in a different state (hardware registers are not reset unless software explicitly does that). In an ideal world software initializes hardware regardless of starting state, but in a real world it doesn't always happen there can be warm-boot side effects.

So, there may actually be something to manually rebooting after an update.
That makes sense, but what could be happening differently when reset is asserted? All of the issues that are “fixed” but the thumb wheel reset are soft we issues. Resetting the hardware should have no impact.

Oh man, I usually do a reboot but in my excitement to head out and drive this morning after the update, I didn't. And I forgot about it. Wonder if Joleary did? I need to do a reboot...
And actually, keep in mind that you can reboot while charging and it will stop during the reboot. Should give you time to disconnect. Happened to me like this long ago and that is what I did.

That makes sense, but what could be happening differently when reset is asserted? All of the issues that are “fixed” but the thumb wheel reset are soft we issues. Resetting the hardware should have no impact.
When hardware reset is asserted (e.g. thumbwheel reset) all the chips get a reset signal to reset, causing them to reset their state and registers. When software does a restart, software has to make sure it resets each chips and its registers - this should be done in shutdown code but that code is not as thoroughly tested and sometimes not implemented properly (i.e. the chip after shutdown is not exactly in the same state as before initialization). If a developer didn't consider that the chip may already be initialized at the time of boot (by software before the restart) it can cause issues, often intermittent, but because most of the time the system is tested from cold boot (power is applied and hardware reset is held until all power levels are where they should be), such bugs don't get caught. This is why tech support for a lot of devices instead of just "hit restart" will tell you "power off the device, wait 10 seconds, power back on" - that does a cold boot which always includes a hardware reset. Hope that helps.

When hardware reset is asserted (e.g. thumbwheel reset) all the chips get a reset signal to reset, causing them to reset their state and registers.
lemme just stop you right there... you can reboot with the two wheels WHILE DRIVING. Not just while driving, but while on Autopilot. While navigating. And it will still use the blinkers at a fork and take an exit WHILE rebooting.

That's how weak the two-wheel reboot is. It's purely a software reboot of the touchscreen, nothing more - hell, if you sit in the car while parked, no matter how hard you try (hold brake or not - another point of contention), you might notice that the HV battery never disconnects. The scroll-wheel reboot is purely rebooting the screen, not the whole car.

Updates, though, if you've ever sat through one of those, do a complete cycle of the entire system... top to bottom, end to end, everything gets touched and updated, and rebooting is part of that process - microcontrollers can't update while running, so they go to bootloader, take the update and apply it, and then boot back to the main code again. Thus, a reboot is inherent in the process.

This is a silly diversion in my opinion, away from the topic of the charging issue. Obviously reboots have had nothing to do with the stop charging issue. We can't have any impact on it from here - Tesla needs to handle it. Anyone bothered striking up a support chat conversation about it so far?

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
lemme just stop you right there... you can reboot with the two wheels WHILE DRIVING. Not just while driving, but while on Autopilot. While navigating. And it will still use the blinkers at a fork and take an exit WHILE rebooting.
Absolutely correct. We are talking only about the MCU reboot here, not the AP computer or other subsystems. MCU is the one talking with the app, and also happens to have the largest in size and least tested code (since as you point out, it's not a safety hazard, at least as Tesla defines it).

This is a silly diversion in my opinion, away from the topic of the charging issue. Obviously reboots have had nothing to do with the stop charging issue.
Actually this is where you are wrong. We are talking here about charging control from the app which is done via the MCU which is reset by thumbwheels. This is why people who set their scheduled charging for example, are unable to L1/L2 charge when then MCU dies. If some processes or all of MCU is hung or if MCU is in some weird state, you may not be able to control charging via the app, but rebooting the MCU might will reinitialize it, potentially getting it out of a weird state.

In case anyone seeing the same results. I narrowed it down to scheduled departure feature. I had scheduled departure set to a weekday morning departure. Whenever I plug in my car yesterday and today since enabling the feature when I plug in the car immediately starts charging. When it’s doing this charging I can’t turn off charging via car or app. I have to turn scheduled charging off and then back on in order to get it to actually do what it’s suppose to. However unplugging the charger and plugging back in starts the entire cycle over again.

scheduled departure on my raven p100D is definitely got some issues / bug right now.

yes I restarted entire car again and same behavior

encourage someone else to turn on scheduled Dept for weekdays and set time for the morning. Then plug in your car and does it just start charging and you can’t stop it via phone up or in the car hitting stop charge button ?

Thanks for posting this. I just spent an hour with support trying to get a solution for this and while I was waiting for them to research a solution I did a couple google searches and found a couple of your posts for this situation. Scheduled Departure was off for me and I had never messed with it but I enabled it with a small window that wasn't active and was able to start and stop charging without problems. Then I turned off scheduled departure and am still able to stop and start charging. Thanks again!

Mine started doing this after recent SC visit and consequent 2020.4.1 update. The only way to stop charging is by unlocking the port.

Yes to reboot, no to schedule charging.
Went to the service center and they knew nothing about it but when typing something along the lines of "charging wont stop" in his system it autofilled the rest of the complaint. So other service centers have logged similar issues but the "resolution" tab didn't have an answer.

App nor screen stop it. If i switch to schedule charging it won't start till then. I can't unlock the port from the phone or screen, it gives the car charging error. I can push the button on the charge handle to stop it but it simply starts back up when I let go. Scheduled service for it and spoke to Tesla through text message, they asked a ton of questions and eventually said it's a firmware issue and they will issue an OTA when they find a fix.