Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t take delivery out of state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Four months ago I was able to buy an existing inventory order from out of state with no issue - I paid a delivery fee and that was it. Fast forward to last week, I grabbed an order in Boston (I’m in CA), got a messaging confirming everything, but then got a call from Tesla in Boston saying they aren’t allowed to ship out of state. Did a policy change??

I am in the same boat as you. As a resident of CA, I ordered online an existing inventory (new) last week without much thought.

Within a week, Tesla called and said they couldn't ship the car to California since it's in Texas and to cancel the order. Now that Tesla prohibits deliveries out of state, does it only allow customers to buy new inventory within their local area? Will it apply to used inventory, too?
It would be great if anyone could provide a concrete answer, as this is quite confusing!

Thanks.

I am in the same boat as you. As a resident of CA, I ordered online an existing inventory (new) last week without much thought.

Within a week, Tesla called and said they couldn't ship the car to California since it's in Texas and to cancel the order. Now that Tesla prohibits deliveries out of state, does it only allow customers to buy new inventory within their local area? Will it apply to used inventory, too?
It would be great if anyone could provide a concrete answer, as this is quite confusing!

Thanks.
I think if it was the 1st month of the quarter instead of the last month, they would be fine shipping the cars out (and charging the extra transport fee). But they want to move those units in the next 3 days to add to their quarterly totals, so probably why they are restricting delivery to in-state people.

I was allowed to keep my $250 deposit for the custom build after Tesla released my previously purchased vehicle within days. But this would take months to complete and deliver.

Why Tesla would not even allow the customer to pick it up in person even offered to pay the tax at the time to the State (Texas) is very frustrating!

The same thing happened to me.

I ordered a new inventory (new) online last week with Plano, Texas delivery area, even though I am located in California.

Tesla called a few days later and said that the car can't be shipped to California because it's located in Texas and that the order needs to be canceled.

After Tesla released my previously purchased vehicle within days, I was allowed to keep my $250 deposit for the custom build. The build would take several months to complete.

Why Tesla would not even allow the customer to pick it up in person even offered to pay the tax at the time to the State (Texas) is very frustrating!

I'm wondering if its because they are already having issues getting cars to people in state, so maybe shipping inventory cars the "wrong way" would compound that issue for them.
The other reason could be if its a Texas built car.