Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t turn on climate from app when rear hatch is open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, not sure if this is a known issue but I thought I’d ask if anyone else encountered this problem. When we were packing up the car for a weekend trip, I was preheating the car via the mobile app. When I opened the doors of course the climate shut off like it always does. I closed the doors but I left the hatch open and went back inside. I wanted the car to continue to preheat the battery so I tried to turn on the heater again with the app, and I got a “failed to turn on climate” message. My wife’s phone did the same thing. I closed the rear hatch and it started working again..

Not a big deal for us but just wanted to throw it out there and see if it’s happened to anyone else.

Hey guys, not sure if this is a known issue but I thought I’d ask if anyone else encountered this problem. When we were packing up the car for a weekend trip, I was preheating the car via the mobile app. When I opened the doors of course the climate shut off like it always does. I closed the doors but I left the hatch open and went back inside. I wanted the car to continue to preheat the battery so I tried to turn on the heater again with the app, and I got a “failed to turn on climate” message. My wife’s phone did the same thing. I closed the rear hatch and it started working again..

Not a big deal for us but just wanted to throw it out there and see if it’s happened to anyone else.
Same concept. If any of the cabin doors or trunk are ajar, the pre-heating turns off. It’s a waste of energy.

I don’t think it’s doing it by design, afaik I can still turn on the climate via the app if the doors are open. The climate stays on if the doors are open and it only shuts off after you close the doors and there’s no one in the drivers seat. However if the rear hatch is open I get a failure message if I try to turn it on via the app.

I can turn on the climate control (heat since its winter, haven't tried AC) with the hatch open.

I don't have any issues with using the app for climate control.

Model S does the same. Hatch open, no climate control. I think our 3 is the same, but not 100% confident.

you can start the climate control with the hatch closed and then open it.

Waste of energy. I’m sure it’s on purpose.