Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t use FSD after latest upgrade - and inappropriately disenrolled from program!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed the latest upgrade 2022.12.3.20 a couple weeks ago on M3, and with first FSD engagement got red small “please pay attention” which is immediately followed by the blue flashing. But when I rotated wheel to comply, the car would not recognize it, so I manually disengaged. Went on like this for about 3 cycles then finally continued to rotate to see if I could get the car to recognize, but it never did then I get the dreaded “red screen of death” forcing disengagement and the hand slap. That was one time. Following morning I got in and was greeted to a “you have 2 forced disengagements of FSD due to unsafe driving, 1 more and …. ” etc. Totally weird and again in error as only had it one time.

Next time I was on the highway and engaged FSD and sure enough got the small red “pay attention” … and manually disengaged since it would not recognize the wheel rotation. Tried again and *immediately* got the RSOD and was told I was kicked out of FSD.

The only thing I can think of, beyond a bad update, it’s that for quite some time I’ve been getting a “interior cabin camera is unavailable contact service if this persists” … but it would always go away on its own and didn’t prevent anything so just ignored.

I’d open a service ticket, but already have a pending appointment to replace front rocker arms due to squeak — and of course the app won’t let you open a 2nd ticket.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with FSD basically just refusing to stay engaged no matter what the user does. Obviously very unhappy for having a major feature that I paid significant $ from simply unfairly withdrawn due to a defect with the product itself.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Installed the latest upgrade 2022.12.3.20 a couple weeks ago on M3, and with first FSD engagement got red small “please pay attention” which is immediately followed by the blue flashing. But when I rotated wheel to comply, the car would not recognize it, so I manually disengaged. Went on like this for about 3 cycles then finally continued to rotate to see if I could get the car to recognize, but it never did then I get the dreaded “red screen of death” forcing disengagement and the hand slap. That was one time. Following morning I got in and was greeted to a “you have 2 forced disengagements of FSD due to unsafe driving, 1 more and …. ” etc. Totally weird and again in error as only had it one time.
<SNIP>

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with FSD basically just refusing to stay engaged no matter what the user does. Obviously very unhappy for having a major feature that I paid significant $ from simply unfairly withdrawn due to a defect with the product itself.
Two things: (1)you can add to your open ticket, and (2) the only time I get the red hands on wheel pay attention to the road has nothing to do with the steering wheel: it is because my eyes are focused elsewhere. The minute I pay attention (no wheel intervention) the warning disappears.

Yeah, this has happened to a few people (the warning message about the camera followed by strikes). If you're seeing that warning message you definitely shouldn't attempt to use FSD; it's obviously going to result in strikes and removal from the program! Camera or the harness is probably broken somehow. It wouldn't have shown up until now since the cabin camera wasn't used.

Hopefully they'll at some point they'll have a way to reset the count for people who have had this specific issue but I wouldn't count on it any time soon!

Thanks for responses, yeah, figured out how to add to the ticket via basically the chat/message feature in the app. So the control arms got replaced no problem, but service spent nearly a full week on the FSD issue without resolution. Honestly, the guy I mostly dealt with I think was largely just feeding me BS, stuff like "they're having difficulty getting the camera's calibrated," ... "they replaced the cameras but now have to drive it around for like 10 miles to calibrate them" ... so going on a week I started to demand a loaner. One thing that stinks about the app is that if there's a message you get a push notiification, but if they just change the ready date/time of the vehicle -- no push. And one time it was supposed to be ready, I showed up to pick it up and the guy was like "oh no it's not ready yet I sent you a text" - which he hadn't and when I showed him his response was "oh sorry I forgot to hit send". Whatever. In the end I went to pick up the loaner we arranged and literally on my way there I got a push saying the car was ready.

"Ready" turned out to be relative, since the only answer was "you have to wait until engineering pushes you an update with the fix." What they attempted to explain was that all the work was so that when the push came, I would not have the problem repeat on me. They did replace the interior camera. So disappointing I'm stuck waiting on the next upgrade, which I don't think has anything to do with my problem. My take is they just push a reset in general. I've reviewed the release notes previously and seen that and wondered why that was in there -- now I know. It's just a reset to take care of people who have had this happen to them. Hopefully they're working on a root cause fix. In any case, the stupid interior camera was replaced, so that's something. On hold for now :rolleyes:

So disappointing I'm stuck waiting on the next upgrade, which
Don’t worry you are not missing anything!

In the meantime you can send the fsdbeta email address your documentation of your cabin camera fix and see whether you can convince them to reset your count. This process may not work at all, and in the best case will take months, so best to start now.

I definitely wouldn’t expect the count to reset on its own. Maybe it will at some point but no one knows which release that will occur on.

Thanks for responses, yeah, figured out how to add to the ticket via basically the chat/message feature in the app. So the control arms got replaced no problem, but service spent nearly a full week on the FSD issue without resolution. Honestly, the guy I mostly dealt with I think was largely just feeding me BS, stuff like "they're having difficulty getting the camera's calibrated," ... "they replaced the cameras but now have to drive it around for like 10 miles to calibrate them" ... so going on a week I started to demand a loaner. One thing that stinks about the app is that if there's a message you get a push notiification, but if they just change the ready date/time of the vehicle -- no push. And one time it was supposed to be ready, I showed up to pick it up and the guy was like "oh no it's not ready yet I sent you a text" - which he hadn't and when I showed him his response was "oh sorry I forgot to hit send". Whatever. In the end I went to pick up the loaner we arranged and literally on my way there I got a push saying the car was ready.

"Ready" turned out to be relative, since the only answer was "you have to wait until engineering pushes you an update with the fix." What they attempted to explain was that all the work was so that when the push came, I would not have the problem repeat on me. They did replace the interior camera. So disappointing I'm stuck waiting on the next upgrade, which I don't think has anything to do with my problem. My take is they just push a reset in general. I've reviewed the release notes previously and seen that and wondered why that was in there -- now I know. It's just a reset to take care of people who have had this happen to them. Hopefully they're working on a root cause fix. In any case, the stupid interior camera was replaced, so that's something. On hold for now :rolleyes:
hopefully that has fixed it for you. To be honest you're not missing a whole lot. It feels like the one step forward is in places I don't use, but the two steps back are all in places I'm always trying FSDb. So I've not really engaged it more than a few times over the last two weeks.
Hoping the next release will be better.

Reactions: pilotSteve
So the latest on this farce is after seeing on TeslaFi that, while I'm running 2020.12.3.20, that 2020.16.x is rolling out across the M3 fleet, I decided to open another ticket to try and prompt for a new release. *Every* update I've gotten since enrolling in FSD has always started out at the beginning of the release notes with a big image of the dreaded red steering wheel and the announcement "your count has been reset to 0" ... which is why my feeling is *any* update I get will do the trick and get me back in the game.

After I opened the ticket I got a response within hours that basically said: a) engineering is working on a specific fix to put in the update and that I would get the update when that was done, and b) they don't know when that will be.

My thought is: BS. I have a really hard time believing that they diagnosed a specific software bug related to me erroneously getting bad driving reports uploaded leading to my erroneous exclusion from FSD. Particularly when I reported an internal camera issue, and, the dealer swapped out the internal camera. A software fix just doesn't add up, and beyond that, a Tesla engineer writing code to fix a specific bug in a specific model from a single user? C'mon...

Given that I'm running 2020.12.3.20 and TeslaFi is reporting that there are multiple instance of 2020.16.x installed out there, my question is, does anyone know what the FSD stack is, ie, is the 2020.16 that's out there the same FSD stack as the 2020.12 that I'm on. If so, the response from service is pure BS and they just need to accelerate the push to me. If not, then what is the version that the true FSD stack is on? I had hardware version 2.5 at purchase, but updated to "full FSD" hardware / software post purchase.

Any help greatly appreciated, tnx.

So the latest on this farce is after seeing on TeslaFi that, while I'm running 2020.12.3.20, that 2020.16.x is rolling out across the M3 fleet, I decided to open another ticket to try and prompt for a new release. *Every* update I've gotten since enrolling in FSD has always started out at the beginning of the release notes with a big image of the dreaded red steering wheel and the announcement "your count has been reset to 0" ... which is why my feeling is *any* update I get will do the trick and get me back in the game.

After I opened the ticket I got a response within hours that basically said: a) engineering is working on a specific fix to put in the update and that I would get the update when that was done, and b) they don't know when that will be.

My thought is: BS. I have a really hard time believing that they diagnosed a specific software bug related to me erroneously getting bad driving reports uploaded leading to my erroneous exclusion from FSD. Particularly when I reported an internal camera issue, and, the dealer swapped out the internal camera. A software fix just doesn't add up, and beyond that, a Tesla engineer writing code to fix a specific bug in a specific model from a single user? C'mon...

Given that I'm running 2020.12.3.20 and TeslaFi is reporting that there are multiple instance of 2020.16.x installed out there, my question is, does anyone know what the FSD stack is, ie, is the 2020.16 that's out there the same FSD stack as the 2020.12 that I'm on. If so, the response from service is pure BS and they just need to accelerate the push to me. If not, then what is the version that the true FSD stack is on? I had hardware version 2.5 at purchase, but updated to "full FSD" hardware / software post purchase.

Any help greatly appreciated, tnx.
Sorry, where you see 2020. please substitute 2022. My bad.

You have me confused. Do you think you are in the FSD beta? Or not?

2022.16 is not an FSD beta release. 2022.12.3.20 is the current beta release. If you are not in beta then you should be moving to 2022.20.5 (per teslafi)