Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a 60D be uncorked?

Can a car ordered as a 60D be uncorked?

• Yes I upgraded by '16 S to 75D and it was eligible

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Yes I upgraded by '16 X to 75D and it was eligible

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes 2016 S/X without upgrading

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes 2017 S/X without upgrading

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They told me no

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to let things calm down for a week or two before I ask my SC. My guess from what I have read is "no". But I am willing to upgrade to 75 if they can tell me "yes" afterward. I think it will be a little time before they know the answer to that question. VIN:158XXX

Reactions: number12
I upgraded from a 60D and am eligible. Model S VIN 174xxx. Late december 2016 delivery. I think Tesla definitely wants X60D owners to pay for the upgrade as I understand that it was the least profitable car for them (except maybe the S40).

OP,

Can you add another choice to the poll asking if an owner upgraded from a 60D to 75D and was declined for uncorking?
I do believe I've seen such reports. However, there are also those who are originally 75D and still got denied, so it's really a wild guess now.

I'd wait for the dust to settle first. There are a number of variables and no one is certain yet. Who is willing to risk $2k/$4.5k to give this a shot? You first need to make sure the SC has the most up to date bulletin, then you ask for uncork. If denied then upgrade to 75 and ask again. If denied then retry again in a few weeks (maybe for the database to update).

Some variables include
- SCs not reading the most updated bulletin
- How soon does a 60D->75D get updated in the VIN database (if ever). It's possible the database was created last week and not updated anymore
- If it does get updated, how long does it take for the SC to have the updated VIN database?
- Does eligibility also depend on the "High amperage fuse" that's been floating around? Some cars were equipped with it and some not, totally random.

I have a service appt next Tuesday (10/31) and am willing to pay $4500 to upgrade, but I would like at least an email from somewhere stating I will be uncorked after upgrade.

I am also willing to not upgrade and get uncorked.

I'm almost positive my car is old enough to not qualify (manufactured July '16, delivered August '16). Currently 60D (software locked). With my current travel and finances 2.2k is not worth the extra 30 miles and wouldn't really enable any different trips currently.

Picking up an extra second might be hot enough to go for it (wife likely wouldn't approve) but certainly not worth a gamble if they won't tell you until afterwards.

Reactions: jcadman22
Just got off the phone with my service advisor. Basically told me they can't tell in the system if it's eligible for uncorking until I upgrade it to a 75D as all 60s show as not eligible. Once that's done, they will be able to know. I asked about upgrading to 75 and reverting back if it can't be uncorked but that was a no go. I'm not going to upgrade it just yet. 01/17 build 60D vin 176xxx.

I'm also Vin178xxx, Dec 2016 Build. Originally a 60D but I upgraded to 75D when they dropped the price a few months ago. SvC said they can uncork my car as long as they confirm I upgraded to 75D. For some reason it was still showing my car as a 60D on their system.

That means their list of eligible VINs includes your supposedly 60D, while almost all other real 60Ds are declined. The reason I was given was the cars are built with different hardware. I feel that's just a plain lie.

Let's give it time. I think the bottom line is Tesla wants everyone to upgrade to 75D to get some revenue. In my case, it might be just because the VIN list was generated before I upgraded -- optimism on my part of course.