Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a battery coolant heater replacement cause coolant leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I had to have my battery coolant heater replaced in February for my 2015 Model S when I received error messages that said "vehicle may not restart" and "acceleration and speed reduced". During this service appointment, they also seem to have topped off the coolant (the coolant is listed on the invoice). About a month or so later, I noticed that my car was leaking bluish liquid while it was charging, and Tesla is saying that I need to get the four way valve replaced. I assumed this leak was related to the service appointment in February and would be covered by Tesla, but the service rep said they are not related. He explained that the parts are about 6 feet apart from each other so the valve would not have been affected during the coolant heater replacement. My question is, is there any way something could have happened to the valve while they were topping off the coolant? Or does anyone know if they would have come in contact with the valve at all while they investigated the issue in February? Any and all information is much appreciated. Thank you!

Most likely just the part failing and timing is just close to your coolant heater replacement. That valve has been known to fail. There was a resurrected thread on replacement of that part that you can DIY with little fanfare if you clamp the lines properly.

Hi,
I had the same "warning vehicle may not restart" issue, then a day or so later, it didn't. Towed it to service center they said the BATTERY for the coolant needs to be replaced as does the fuse box. Charging $1500 for all of this. 2015 70D Model S also, sounds like a 2015 theme. Out of warranty.
If anyone has any further info about this please respond. [email protected]. I am telling them to MAKE sure no other issues around this, coolant, heater, ect, WON'T be a problem in the next year or so.

Hi,
I had the same "warning vehicle may not restart" issue, then a day or so later, it didn't. Towed it to service center they said the BATTERY for the coolant needs to be replaced as does the fuse box. Charging $1500 for all of this. 2015 70D Model S also, sounds like a 2015 theme. Out of warranty.
If anyone has any further info about this please respond. [email protected]. I am telling them to MAKE sure no other issues around this, coolant, heater, ect, WON'T be a problem in the next year or so.
Not sure what you mean by battery for the coolant. Do you mean the battery coolant heater like we’ve been talking about above? Also, why does the fuse box need to be replaced? Totally separate issue? I’d think you’d be seeing a whole host of other problems if the entire fuse box needed replacing. What info did they provide you here?

Just had a similar problem on my 2015 Model S 70D. Only just bought it May. Battery coolant heater replaced end of August. took a week to repair. Now have this "Vehicle Coolant Low" warning. Not very impressed. Service appointment not available for 19 days. Not good.