Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a family member take delivery for me (power of attorney)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasted the last 30 mins trying to find a way to contact someone at Tesla with no success. We're currently stationed overseas and are interested in ordering a Tesla 3. I'd like to have it delivered to my parents and give them a POA to sign the paperwork and take delivery for us. We'll be there in a few months. I'm just worried that I have to pay for the order before I can figure out how it gets delivered. I'm also concerned when I fire up the Tesla app and put in the information, it might do something silly like use my location in Japan and get confused. I guess another option would be for my parents to actually take ownership, then transfer the ownership to me? But then that's double the DMV work and likely more fees.

If they have the app and are logged into your account I don't think it would matter. You will get text messages sent to your phone with instructions that you would need to forward to them. When I picked up my car there was only one paper to sign in the car and no one, I mean no one ever came out to see if I needed help with anything. Once you except delivery in the app you can simply drive away.

I thought I heard of a poster here having someone else take delivery for them. Hopefully someone who has done so can chime in.

I would have the sell go through in my name; too many potential issues if you have it go to parent then transfer. Maybe nobody gets tax credit, maybe double sales tax is charged, maybe loss in value for multiple owners, etc.

If you can figure out a way for Tesla to officially allow a process for this that'd be best.

If not I'd try just giving them app access and attempting to do touchless delivery as poster nsyr says.

If that doesn't work and delivery appointment results in failure to accept delivery I suspect Tesla would elevate to a manager that can actually do a POA or such and get it closed. They probably don't want to have to deal with this, or possible fraud, so in general don't allow it.

I bought a $500k piece of property signing for my wife with POA when she was out of the country so no reason you cant do the same with a much cheaper already paid for car IMO.

If we decide to buy (really on the fence, but not about the car, but our near term life plans) - I'll just proceed like it's being delivered to me. Pay for it, upload all the documents, and give my parents a POA for the delivery driver so they can sign whatever forms are required on the spot. As long as the Tesla app isn't too "smart" with geo-referenced location or something silly like that. I hope I can just type in whatever delivery address I need and not be at the exact location while doing it.

@zimm17, in theory, the answer is yes. A POA is a legal authorization to represent or act on another's behalf. It's put's one person in another's shoes so to speak. In practice it will be dependent on the staff at the delivery center and whether they are knowledgeable and/or have experience with a POA. If they have not delivered a vehicle under a POA situation or simply never heard of it, it will mean a not so seamless transaction for your parents. Maybe to avoid the potential trouble, ask your parents to visit the delivery center (if possible) that your car will be delivered to prior to your order so they can get some assurance and instruction of what is needed to make this happen.

I didn't have to talk to anyone or sign anything at the Tesla site to take delivery. I just walked up to the car, it had my name listed inside the dash, I clicked accept delivery on the app, the car unlocked, and I could've drove off.

I went inside the Tesla center and asked about a mark on the seats, then they cleaned it, but that was totally optional.

If we decide to buy (really on the fence, but not about the car, but our near term life plans) - I'll just proceed like it's being delivered to me. Pay for it, upload all the documents, and give my parents a POA for the delivery driver so they can sign whatever forms are required on the spot. As long as the Tesla app isn't too "smart" with geo-referenced location or something silly like that. I hope I can just type in whatever delivery address I need and not be at the exact location while doing it.

I don't believe this will work. I think you'll need to give your parents your login/password for your tesla app so they can have it on a phone at delivery. It uses bluetooth to unlock the vehicle I believe. I have Tesla app on a phone and tablet, so I think it should be fine for you to have it on multiple devices.

I would definitely make sure they have POA on hand too, so if anyone questions it they have legal authority. But it might all go through without any interaction on their part.

I guess the one change I'd make to my comment 5 posts above; is if a parent or someone you trust would qualify for more of the tax credit than yourself. In that case I'd have them buy the vehicle and sell it to you later, and let them keep some of the profit.

I'll let you know in the next week or so. Delivery is scheduled 12-31 March. We just paid for it, just got the VIN, need to set up insurance too. I sent an email to the dealership asking if a POA is good to go. Waiting on a reply.
Please let us know Tesla’s reply. I am in a similar situation: I am going to be out of the country for two weeks, but was just notified today to expect delivery between 18 March and 31 March (I think Tesla is trying to deliver as many vehicles as possible before the quarter ends, as we were originally given an April to June timeframe).
Since it may be delivered while I am gone, trying to come up with a solution.

This what I got…If you will not be able to pick up the car when it arrives (when you are out of town), we would have to release the VIN to the next customer. Unless you send us your 3rd party check ahead of time and come to sign the registration documents, we would need to give the car to the next customer. If you are able to come in and finish everything before leaving town, we would deliver the car to your home so you can accept the delivery remotely.

We’re registering in Virginia. Sales person emailed us the DMV forms and a VA POA that doesn’t need a notary. They require wet ink signatures so we overnighted the forms back. Pick up is the 18th. Easy so far.