Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a family-member Tesla owner order it for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother owns a Model S. Can he place the pre-order for the Model 3 for me (so that I get priority delivery)? I want to retain ownership of the vehicle and have the car in my name. Or would I have to go in and order it myself?

My brother owns a Model S. Can he place the pre-order for the Model 3 for me (so that I get priority delivery)? I want to retain ownership of the vehicle and have the car in my name. Or would I have to go in and order it myself?

I'm a non-Tesla owner, but from everything I've read and come to understand, whether he's a family member or not, your brother can only order a Tesla in his name, not yours. Tesla car reservations are non-transferable and must be made by the desired owner of the car, on paper.

Not sure about this... But we plan on getting one Model 3 and my mom will reserve one for herself (now, we already have 2 Teslas... So, if I split our account for each car) I wonder if we can orde one under the Roadster and the other (my mom's under the S)

Based on the agreement Tesla posted today it seems like the following

A) you cannot transfer to another person if you make it in your name
B) When making a reservation in store, that person would have to sign the agreement letter. If that person isn't present I don't think you'd be able to reserve one for them. This would not be a problem if you were doing it online.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I am not sure what reservation contract other people are reading but it states very clearly:

"This Agreement is not transferable or assignable to another party without the prior written approval of a Tesla authorized representative."

There is no question in person the buyer has to be present and will be requested to show their identification along with credit card or check. If you are doing it online you are swearing you are the person on the reservation and you apply a form of electronic signature just as if you were signing on paper and it is as legally binding just as if you were signing on paper. Would anyone know, probably not unless you tell someone but you would have to be logged on to the person account who is the current owner and the reservation would be under the name(s) that are currently on the accounts. If this is not the person who is buying the car then a new account would be created but with the new buyer's name but it wouldn't have any bump privileges.

In the past Tesla has not allowed the transfer so there is nothing to make me think they have changed their policy. This is almost exactly the same document with only some minor changes as the Model X reservation contract. This prevents people from profiteering from trying to sell reservations.

A husband and wife who own a car jointly is still one car. A car is tracked in two ways. The VIN of the car and your account with Tesla. If not at a Tesla store you will log onto your account to place the reservation. The account which already has the current owners' name(s) along with the VIN is the identification which proves you are a prior Tesla owner. If you own multible cars you will have multible VIN and possibly multible accounts.

Since we only currently own one Tesla we only have one account. Just because there are two people on your title doesn't nessarily give you rights to multible "pass go" cards.

The question is will Tesla allow multible reservation under the same account. This will determine how many cars can be reserved. I am sure you can reserve as many Tesla's as you want but probably only one "bump" per existing VIN/account. Of course you could call the Tesla 800 number and ask.

We definitely want one reservation for my wife, as she recently gave her car to someone who had no form of transportation. We had considered getting addition reservations but then I started reading this forum and how people are trying to scheme to get bumps for reservations they aren't entitled to. It made me sick at my stomach. Is this the kind of civilization we have become? If you own a Model S/X and are buying a Model 3 you are not hurting for money and not getting an extra rebate won't change your life. Where it could mean someone's life could be a lot easier, someone who is less fortunate than yourself. Don't you have any decency. Not only are you trying to comitt a fraud but you are braising enough to to post about it. Don't you think there are people who really need a car that deserves a least a chance to get the Federal EV rebate.

I was reading this forum last week and was kind of pissed as there were people indicating we, current Tesla owner's, were elitist. I was thinking they don't even know me, don't know how hard I have worked for what I got so I dare them say these things.

Since they announced current Tesla owners will be able to be rewarded for being loyal early adopters I started reading these posts. Maybe as a group that is what we are, elitist who only care about ourselves as we try to get something we arent entitled to and trample others along the way. I had thought that the later generations have an entitlement mentality but maybe it is us who have this attitude. So what is worse thinking you are entitled to something you didn't earn or being an elitist and not carring about anyone but yourself.

I will go back to the X forum at least people are more civil (most of the time). I am sure I won't be welcome here anymore.

Calm down there, Sparky. I was just asking a question. My brother and I were going to walk into a Tesla store together to make our reservation. It looks like I'll have to be the one making the reservation without the added benefit of receiving it earlier. And that's okay -- gives me more time to save up for a larger down payment. Thanks to everyone who responded! :)

Reactions: ModelX
Darryl:

Your insights have been very valuable. Stay please.

I agree.

I'm honestly still not sure who you're mad at.. non-Tesla owners who complain about being disadvantaged in receiving the tax credit, or current Tesla owners who try to earn it more times than they should. Regardless, I'd be more than happy to condone your continued (insightful) contributions, as long as you promise to spell MULTIPLE right from now on. It's a "p" not a "b". :)

I have the same question. My parent live near a store and are going in to reserve one for themselves. The agreement states that you cannot transfer without written consent from Tesla. Although it is nothing definitive, several posts over the last couple of years indicate that Tesla is often willing to allow a reservation transfer between immediate family members. Their main goal is to avoid a secondary market selling reservations.