Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a founder's series roadster reservation be a good investment?

Will Tesla allow Founder's series reservation holders to sell their reservations?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody think that getting a Tesla roadster Founder's series reservation my be a good investment? At $250K the car is a total bargain compared to all the other hyper cars. It could arguably be a transformational car in the history of exotic cars, which may lead to the car being a collector's piece and an appreciating asset. I know the reservations are non-transferrable without Tesla's permission, but what if they allowed it for the Roadster? I can't imagine it being bad press for them if people started bidding for the founder's edition. It could drive the sale of the regular roadsters as people would see it as more of a bargain. Say if the reservations started being sold for $400K or something. The Tesla roadster would be an even better bargain if it was known people are paying a $150k premium just to get a Founder's edition. Any thoughts?

...reservations started being sold for $400K...

People could have gotten rich by doing the same Tesla car reservation tradings with the S, X, and 3 as well. You don't have to wait for Gen2 Roadster!

The rationale to profit from reservation trading has always been there, so you are on the right track and on the way of how to get rich.

However, because of that very same reason, Tesla does not allow reservation trading.

Reservation trading would create an artificial demand as traders do not demand a car--they demand no car at all. They just want to get rid of the reservation to profit from it!

So my argument with the founders edition is different as there is a hard 1,000 car limit, which will likely sell out independent of what happens. Tesla could get some positive press every time someone mention the roadster and that people are buying founder's series reservations for a $100K premium. BTW this does not mean all 1,000 reservations cost $350K, but just a handful of them...

As I have pointed out in another thread, for those of us in Euro we are paying negative interest on money held in a normal bank account (about 0.5 %).

So giving it to Tesla interest free might be a good investment. Founders Edition is 215,000 Euros in Germany.

Other question is, whether the brand new car can be sold at a profit after taking delivery.

The Roadster is not a limited edition exclusive, they'll make as many as people want. It's not a like a limited 918 production of a Porsche 918 spyder. Prices on those increase because supply is low and no longer in production.

Only thing differentiating Founders is probably some badging, color, included options/trim, flat pricing and 1000 units. I doubt they'd be worth anything more than say a Signature or Founders Edition versions of Model S or X, which is very little in terms of resale. Maybe if you had FE0001 it could hold some significance in terms of value.

All we know now is that it's fast in a straight line. In order to be truly a hyper car it'd have to prove itself on a track. Most hypercar's can be ordered with bespoke custom options that are basically non-existant in Tesla's production methods.

Any idea how much the original founders' series are fetching now?

The last one I was aware of to come up for sale was number 26 or 27 in the Bay Area. It is Signature Green, but had over 50k miles on it, had been in a small accident (showed on carfax) and have obvious (and poor quality) paint respray work done. I was considering trading out Sig 72 for that car, but when I saw the miles and poor paint work, I backed out. It would've been priced in the low $50k range, but the seller decided to hang on to the car given the price, I think she wanted a fair bit more. That was the last Founder's version I've seen on the market. A pair of Sig 100's have sold here in the Bay Area earlier this year in the $60-70k range

That was the last Founder's version I've seen on the market. A pair of Sig 100's have sold here in the Bay Area earlier this year in the $60-70k range

Actually I believe my Founders' Series Roadster purchased in mid-2017 is the last one that was sold, though it wasn't advertised through the normal selling channels. They only hit the market every few years, so it's hard to figure out the price premium over a Signature Series Roadster.

Last edited:
If you want to get a Roadster in 2020, but knowing Tesla, it may end up being 2021 or maybe even 2022, then you should go for the Founders Edition. If not, I'd say you would have to wait until 2021 or 2022 for sure! However, by then 1.9 sec 0 to 60 may not be the smack down on gasoline powered cars that Elon Musk had promised.

There is a bigger concern that I have and I know I'm gonna hurt some feel goods here, but its a fact that the 2008 to 2010 Roadster is vastly inferior to the 2011 to 2012 in pretty much every way. Unless, you are appr. 5' tall and don't like to go faster, go a longer distance, better suspension, have a sexier car, better reliability, etc., etc. What will this say about the new "2020" Roadster?

My predicament is to either go "ALL IN" or Nothing!
Founder's edition will give you the chance of getting a Roadster perhaps 2 years earlier than the others and even if it won't be as nice as it's predecessors, at least it will be "collectible" and definitely worth way more than the "regular" 2020 Roadsters will be. You can buy a 2008 for pretty darned cheap compared to what someone paid for it! So, I'm at ponying up for a Founders Edition Roadster in 2020 or having to wait until 2024 or 2025!

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaff
If you want to get a Roadster in 2020, but knowing Tesla, it may end up being 2021 or maybe even 2022, then you should go for the Founders Edition. If not, I'd say you would have to wait until 2021 or 2022 for sure! However, by then 1.9 sec 0 to 60 may not be the smack down on gasoline powered cars that Elon Musk had promised.

There is a bigger concern that I have and I know I'm gonna hurt some feel goods here, but its a fact that the 2008 to 2010 Roadster is vastly inferior to the 2011 to 2012 in pretty much every way. Unless, you are appr. 5' tall and don't like to go faster, go a longer distance, better suspension, have a sexier car, better reliability, etc., etc. What will this say about the new "2020" Roadster?

My predicament is to either go "ALL IN" or Nothing!
Founder's edition will give you the chance of getting a Roadster perhaps 2 years earlier than the others and even if it won't be as nice as it's predecessors, at least it will be "collectible" and definitely worth way more than the "regular" 2020 Roadsters will be. You can buy a 2008 for pretty darned cheap compared to what someone paid for it! So, I'm at ponying up for a Founders Edition Roadster in 2020 or having to wait until 2024 or 2025!
I will disagree with you on a couple points of the 2.5 vs 1.5/2.0 Roadsters. Unless you are paying $29k for the R80 pack, every Roadster had the same 56kwh pack, and they all weighed the same, with the same motor, so there is ZERO range difference across generations. Interior dimensions are the same across the board too. I'm 6'1 and Roadster is a squeeze, but it's no different in a 2.5. Yes, the 2.5 Sports are 0.2 seconds quicker to 60, you're totally right about that. Sexier? Looks are subjective, I personally prefer the older fascia over the 2.5. No correct answer here, different strokes for different folks. Better reliability? All Roadsters were hand-built, and while the later cars have MUCH nicer interiors than the 1.5's, the 1.5's are ridiculously over-engineered. All the parts in there are super high quality. Tesla was losing a ton of money per car on the 1.5's because of high-quality, expensive parts. They tried to reign in some of the costs on later versions of the Roadster. I love Roadsters and I think that all of them will eventually appreciate, despite the fact that the car is dated, it's performance is laughable compared to even a P85D, and yes you can pick up some 1.5's for $50k. This price point has held since 2014. Roadster prices haven't gone much below that mark. People don't buy 2005 Ford GT's because of how their performance stacks up today- they buy them for the experience. If you want a lightweight, basic, visceral EV sports car (basically an electric Porsche Boxster), then Roadster is in a class of one. The new Roadster will be amazing, but will be totally different from the old ones. Anyone who has ever driven an original Roadster knows that they are something special, be it a bare-bones 1.5 or a loaded 2.5 Sport.

• Love
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
I see that you own a 2008 Roadster and I love those as well. Heck, I love any Roaster, but still here are the...

Facts
- 0 to 60 of 2008 Roadster was 4.6, compared to 2011/2012 Sport, which was 3.7 (almost an entire second!) Did you know the R80 pack give you a little more voltage, thus 0.1 secs or so even quicker? At least that's what a Tesla Mechanic told me.
- 2008 did have various issues, which caused the owner some back and forth to Tesla Service Center hassles (I guess you don't remember the 2 speed transmission)
- 2008 Roadster was smaller inside than the 2011/2012

The sexier part was the only bias part I thought I would throw in and the largest support here is due to the front spoiler sweeping completely across the front of the vehicle.

The new Roadster will be the fastest production car on the planet, but the gas burners and perhaps even diesel burners (one did recently win the Formula One btw) may catch up in 2 to 3 years time. To be #1 in 0 to 60 vs. #3 to #5 or so is a BIG deal, so even if a 2021 or 2022 is a few seconds quicker, that is huge.

• Disagree
Reactions: stevejust
I see that you own a 2008 Roadster and I love those as well. Heck, I love any Roaster, but still here are the...

Facts
- 0 to 60 of 2008 Roadster was 4.6, compared to 2011/2012 Sport, which was 3.7 (almost an entire second!) Did you know the R80 pack give you a little more voltage, thus 0.1 secs or so even quicker? At least that's what a Tesla Mechanic told me.
- 2008 did have various issues, which caused the owner some back and forth to Tesla Service Center hassles (I guess you don't remember the 2 speed transmission)
- 2008 Roadster was smaller inside than the 2011/2012

The sexier part was the only bias part I thought I would throw in and the largest support here is due to the front spoiler sweeping completely across the front of the vehicle.

The new Roadster will be the fastest production car on the planet, but the gas burners and perhaps even diesel burners (one did recently win the Formula One btw) may catch up in 2 to 3 years time. To be #1 in 0 to 60 vs. #3 to #5 or so is a BIG deal, so even if a 2021 or 2022 is a few seconds quicker, that is huge.
The 2-speed transmission was a terrible idea. I bought used once all that had been sorted. I thought that 1.5's with the 1-speed were 0-60 in 3.9...

The 2.0/2.5 roadsters also had better cooling, more sound deadening, better stereo/navigation system, rear camera, adjustable suspension (sport model), and better seats (my opinion). As with any product, the later versions will always be more refined than the initial ones.