Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can a North American 60Hz Powerwall 2 Work With a 50 Hz Utility Grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to obtain some information regarding purchasing a Tesla Powerwall 2 for use with a solar system and a utility grid that is 50Hz. The system I am building will be principally for self-consumption, with a reserve for backup in the event of a utility outage or overnight usage. The system would not be grid tied but would draw energy from the utility grid to supplement the battery output, if necessary, and to charge the battery if solar energy is not available. There has been some information on the net that says the AC Powerwall 2 cannot charge the battery from the solar system if the grid is down. I do not know if that is true or not but that would be a deal breaker. If the Powerwall 2 uses frequency shifting to change its input sources, could its programming be changed to base its frequency shifting on 50Hz (eg. 50.4 Hz versus 60.4 Hz). I have tried to get information from Tesla but they require a deposit before one can have access to someone with technical information.
Since the information I need will inform the purchasing decision, I need a credible source with sound technical knowledge and experience. If someone is knowledgeable regarding this issue, or knows where I might be able to obtain the necessary information, I would be grateful for the assistance.

You set the grid code during the commissioning process.

I am not sure if it can be changed later, but it looks possible.

The AC PW2 seems to be a worldwide SKU.

With the correct installation and gateway, it will charge from solar while the grid is down. It apparently also keeps some untapped reserve so that grid-tie inverters can be restarted in the event of Powerwall depletion/shutdown.

...There has been some information on the net that says the AC Powerwall 2 cannot charge the battery from the solar system if the grid is down...

I don't have one but I've read that owners have been able to use their solar panels for home usage as well as charging Powerwall 2 during a blackout.

If you only have solar panels ONLY, in general, you cannot use the solar system while the grid is down. The recent exception is Sunny Boy!

...its programming be changed to base its frequency shifting on 50Hz (eg. 50.4 Hz versus 60.4 Hz)...

I am not an electrician but logically, this is what I think:

Since Powerwall is used worldwide so your 50 Hz is not a technical problem.

Battery is DC so it requires an inverter to translate to AC, so I am not sure this is a software issue!

You need to choose 50 Hz inverter as sold to most of the world instead of 60 Hz inverter that's sold in US & Canada.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, it it is greatly appreciated.

I would need to find out from Tesla if they offer a 50Hz internal inverter in their North American powerwalls, if selecting the frequency is not addressable by software. Certainly, if it is a hardware solution 50 Hz inverters would be available since many countries, such as Australia, and many European countries operate on 50 Hz systems. Getting an answer from Tesla, without putting down a $500 deposit, is however, a hurdle to overcome.
Additionally, my solar array is 4kW with a Conext SW 4048 (4000W) inverter. I also understand that the powerwall is quite finicky when it comes to working with most inverters and I do not know if it will work with the Conext. Does anyone have a source of information to sort this out?

...powerwall is quite finicky when it comes to working with most inverters and I do not know if it will work with the Conext...

My understanding is:

Powerwall 1 used to come with built-in AC-coupled which might not work with all solar systems.

Powerwall 2 now comes with 2 different versions: Either AC-coupled or DC-coupled which makes it compatible with all solar systems.

Last edited:
My understanding is:

Powerwall 1 used to come with built-in AC-coupled which might not work with all solar systems.

Powerwall 2 now comes with 2 different versions: Either AC-coupled or DC-coupled which makes it compatible with all solar systems.

I thought the DC Powerwall 2 was discontinued. Regardless, it seems like AC version ought to be compatible with all solar systems, but Tesla says not all inverters are supported.

The question then becomes, is it legal, under the uniform commercial code of the U.S., to tie the sale of the product to requiring that one purchases installation services. Does this constitute "tie-in" sales, under the rules of the FTC, which may restrict consumer choice and be a violation of antitrust laws? Does anyone out there have a sufficient background in commercial law to be able to answer this question authoritatively.