TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can a small person fit in the rear child seats?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by joe12pack, Mar 1, 2013.

1. joe12pack

joe12pack Member

I am thinking of adding this option. I don't have any kids yet but I plan on starting a family in the future and also plan to keep the car a long time.

In the meantime, can small asian women fit in the seats? I hate to buy them only to have them unused for many years.

I have a lot of asian friends and some are short and petite. Just wondering if they could fit in the seats.

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I think you meant to ask 'what is the maximum size person who can use the rear seats'? There is no gender/ethnicity requirement associated with the seats.

- - - Updated - - -

Mod note: Edited thread title

3. joe12pack

joe12pack Member

Obviously gender and ethnicity is not a requirement. I'm just adding interest to the conversation.

Putting my politically correct facade on let me rephrase the question "What is the maximum sized bipodded animal that can physically fit into the seats comfortably?"

4. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

5. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

OMG! Where's kinddog and brianman when you need them?

6. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

If the small asian women are less than 77 lbs then sure. :tongue:

7. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

LOL! I come across a lot of asian women in my business (mostly Japanese tourists) and there are a lot of skinny/short ones, but the adult women are not going to be less than 77 lbs. :tongue:
    Quite a bit are 85-90 lbs. though :eek:

8. rpavlicek

rpavlicek ***** Neophyte

Am I the only one that noticed this ambiguous pronoun? :)

9. Al Sherman

Trust me; I noticed and am still laughing about it. My mind was racing but I didn't want to get in trouble with Bonnie.:smile:

Though my wife is dying to know what the original thread title was.

10. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

This is an amusing thread; but in a small attempt to answer the question:

I am 5'9", and I have tried sitting in the rear jump seats. I had plenty of hip, shoulder and leg room. The limiting factor, by far, was head room (space-wise, at least; as the sticker says, weight should be limited to 77lbs, although I'm not sure exceeding that by a small amount is a big deal. I exceeded it by a large amount). I thought the seats were perfectly comfortable...that is, with the hatch up. No way you could close the hatch unless I was at least a head shorter. I would think somewhere around 5' tall would be the absolute max.

(One interesting point is that with an electric car, you CAN drive with the rear hatch up and not suck exhaust in the cabin...still not recommended, but an interesting thought for parades, emergencies, etc)

I should also note this was a demo car and the seat belts weren't hooked up right, so I didn't try them on for fit.

11. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

One of the Tesla reps at Santana Row actually mentioned that some people without kids were getting them for use in tailgating, as adults can easily sit in them when the hatch up. Pretty expensive lawn chairs, if that is true!

12. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Drive-in movies!

13. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

It's quite a bit less than 5'. My wife who is 5' tall has sat back there without the jump seats. She was dolling out girl scout cookies orders to the other families. No way would the hatch close as her head was above the roofline.

14. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Hey, they have cup holders back there! I might buy em just for that. Expensive cup holders. But slightly less so than the CCI project ($900 for 1 cup holder).

And the 'ambiguous pronoun' still has me laughing.

15. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Moderator Note:
    So. A goal of TMC is to make sure that all groups feel welcome here. "Politically correct" is not necessarily a bad thing, even though people say it like it is. (It's only bad when people get ridiculous about it.) Sometimes it is about being inclusive and making everyone feel welcome.

And the original thread title isn't much different than the post.

I still love you all, but jeez.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Gotta earn my paycheck (was at work). What I miss? Someone selling Asian women to test out seats?

17. Al Sherman

LOL. There ya go. Glad you're still working. Maybe we are easily amused but Doc Sherman and I are still laughing at this post. Definitely the most we've laughed at any post ever on TMC.

On a serious note to the OP: We don't have small children so no need for the 3rd row. However, I did see them installed in Miami and it's a fabulous idea and VERY well done. If you're gonna keep the car and kids are in the plan I would seriously consider it. You could easily (i think) have them taken out and reinstalled when needed. I could also see how this would be something that folks looking to buy a used MS down the road might look for.

18. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Good one! A few thoughts crossed my mind but I decided it would be best if I left this one alone:smile: