Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can an S60 be upgraded to an S90?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of now Tesla has limited the 90 upgrade to 85 cars only.

I'm not sure if they have officially said what they are going to do upgrade wise. At this point all they have talked about at any official capacity is the factory option.
Whatever the case is like always it will take the rest of Tesla a few weeks to catch up to Elon to find out what they actually plan to do. They might not even allow 85s to upgrade when all is said and done.

Last edited:
No, I don't think Tesla is going to replace any 60kwh batteries with 90kwh batteries. I think they are battery constrained (for at least a few more years), and would have to charge HUGE prices to make it worth it to them.

Maybe after the gigafactory is up and running, if they are making more than they can sell. Then we all might upgrade, and with new cell chemistry maybe we'll get 120 kwh batteries!

No, I don't think Tesla is going to replace any 60kwh batteries with 90kwh batteries. I think they are battery constrained (for at least a few more years), and would have to charge HUGE prices to make it worth it to them.

Maybe after the gigafactory is up and running, if they are making more than they can sell. Then we all might upgrade, and with new cell chemistry maybe we'll get 120 kwh batteries!

I think this plays highly into the mix. That plus the fact that they use the 85 packs in Superchargers currently and thus, have an avenue to use these traded in 85 kWh batteries that would otherwise pull a new one (or refurb from a repair) battery from production to support SpC growth. That said, I wouldn't be surprised though if they decided to offer a 60 -> 90 upgrade anyways since they can use the raw cells from the 60 with minimal work to build one of the SpC 85 packs.

Cool, I had no idea. Is there an article on this? Must google...

I apologize. I must have misread. Searching the forums makes it sound like it is actually a pack of 12 of the Model S chargers that comprise a SpC, not the Model S battery pack. That said, some locations in California do have battery banks to help offset peak usage rates. No clue on if this are similar to Model S or PowerWall batteries.

There was a Solar City Tech doing maintenance on the Rocklin supercharger a few weeks back and we started chatting. He pointed out where four S85 batteries were buried by the back wall. He said these batteries provide supercharger power when the sun was down. I think this is awesome!

Remember your Mom lecturing you on "may I" vs "can I"?

"Can I upgrade my S60 to an S90?" "Sure you can." "May I?" "No, not now. Maybe not ever." Nothing will be known until it is known. :wink:
I hope you are right that the 60 "can" be upgraded to a 90 but I wouldn't assume it can be without upgrading other hardware on the car instead of a simple pack swap (maybe I missed reading somewhere that Tesla said it can be done).