TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can any Chicago owners comment on sales tax paid?

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by eelton, Dec 28, 2012.

1. eelton

eelton Member

I signed my paperwork last night. The itemization included 9.5% for sales tax. I believe Tesla erroneously used the rate for general goods and services instead of the 8.5% for vehicles. I e-mailed them about it, but haven't heard back yet.

Any insight from other Chicago residents who have taken delivery or at least signed paperwork?

This is from the tax rate finder on the state of Illinois website:

capturegj.jpg

Attached Files:

2. eelton

eelton Member

Well, they wrote back to me just now, saying it appears I am right about the sales tax. If they confirm the 8.5% rate, they'll amend my contract.

3. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

It's 8.25%, which is the 7.25% Cook County tax plus the 1% "use" tax. So, I guess if you never used your model s, you wouldn't have to pay this "use" tax. :mad:

There's also a $15.00 tax.

Maybe there is something additional for city residents beyond what there is for Cook County, but this is what I was told.

Sent via Tapatalk.

4. eelton

eelton Member

There is indeed an additional 1.25% sales tax for residents of Chicago, bringing the tax to 8.5%. I hadn't seen anything about a use tax before, but with some digging I found it (1% to Cook County). Although not listed that way on my contract, the 1% use tax could be what brings my total sales tax to 9.5%.

These taxes are painful...my bottom line was over $97K and I'm not even getting a performance model.

5. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

The state of Illinois is truly amazing...not.

At least the Illinois rebate will offset some of that pain.

Sent via Tapatalk.

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I'm happy - I only paid the state 6.25% tax, no special St. Corrupt -- errr, St. Clair -- or Crook -- err, Cook County taxes.

7. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)