Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can any Chicago owners comment on sales tax paid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I signed my paperwork last night. The itemization included 9.5% for sales tax. I believe Tesla erroneously used the rate for general goods and services instead of the 8.5% for vehicles. I e-mailed them about it, but haven't heard back yet.

Any insight from other Chicago residents who have taken delivery or at least signed paperwork?

This is from the tax rate finder on the state of Illinois website:

capturegj.jpg

Attachments

• captureihj.jpg
    captureihj.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 449
It's 8.25%, which is the 7.25% Cook County tax plus the 1% "use" tax. So, I guess if you never used your model s, you wouldn't have to pay this "use" tax. :mad:

There's also a $15.00 tax.

Maybe there is something additional for city residents beyond what there is for Cook County, but this is what I was told.

Sent via Tapatalk.

There is indeed an additional 1.25% sales tax for residents of Chicago, bringing the tax to 8.5%. I hadn't seen anything about a use tax before, but with some digging I found it (1% to Cook County). Although not listed that way on my contract, the 1% use tax could be what brings my total sales tax to 9.5%.

These taxes are painful...my bottom line was over $97K and I'm not even getting a performance model.