TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can anybody provide model S motor efficiency diagram???

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Hilux, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Hilux

Hilux New Member

The electric motors are made by taiwan fukutamotor,
    I want to see their efficiency diagram, such as....

prius-ornl-motor-efficiency.gif
    This is Prius motor&inverter efficiency diagram

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Pretty sure the electric motors are made in-house by Tesla, at the Fremont factory.

4. keydiver

keydiver Member

^^^ What he said. Even if I had a diagram, I wouldn't give it to a Chinese car manufacturer. :mad:

5. invisik

invisik Member

Yeah the motors are hand wound in Fremont....

-m

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

7. David99

David99 Active Member

interesting graph. I saw one from a different motor from an EV conversion kit. The best efficiency was at the top end of the torque, not the lower end like this one. I believe that Tesla's motors are similar that way.

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The one GM published with SAE for the Volt is shaped like the OP's - best efficiency at middle speeds and moderate torque values, less efficiency at higher and lower values for both. (2 Motor EV mode gives them another efficiency peak for the car at higher speeds and lower loads, of course.)
    Walter

9. kenkamm

kenkamm Member

It would be interesting to see this for the Tesla motor. If we knew where the highest efficiency regimes were, we could try to stay in the higher efficiency regions when accelerating. We could figure out motor RPM vs MPH with a little math, since it's a fixed 9.75:1 ratio gearbox. (Well the rear is, anyway.)

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Either you are reading that graph wrong or just describing it differently than I would.

The Prius motor efficiency is the highest per that graph around 2200 RPM, which I would describe as nearer the middle than the lower or top end.

It is also more effecient on the top side of the torque area as the RPM rises and has a large blob in the high torque low rpm area.

Tesla's motors are larger all the way around. Size, torque, HP, RPM, everything is larger on the Model S.

Maybe you could show us the graph you saw for the other engine so we could see how it varies from this one?